“Nice hotel but had an issue” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1000 PGA Tour Blvd, Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$50 Nightly Credit
“Nice hotel but had an issue”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed in a villa, interior was very nice and spacious. Exterior was unimpressive and there were lots of bugs. We saw a large florida cockroach scurry into a hole in the wall while walking up the stairs and my girls were terrified the rest of our stay. Just be prepared for this 'closeness to nature' if you stay in villas.
The issue mentioned in title was that my daughter had money missing from her wallet (substantial sum). We asked to speak with a manager but were told a manager was unavailable. A very helpful front desk associate listened, was very sympathetic, asked that we fill out a written report and meet with security. We did all of this. Four days since we checked out, and we still have not been contacted by a manager. I am extremely displeased about this lack of response to such a serious matter.
Finally, the hotel restaurant and front desk need to communicate better as we were given breakfast vouchers at check and were told they would be good for 2 adults and kids under 12 eat free. The restaurant insisted the voucher was only good for one adult and kids over 5 are 1/2 price. We got the charges reversed but it was still a nuisance.
Beach is nice & shuttle is convenient. Putt putt was fun and challenging.

Stayed August 2014

193 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We stayed here a couple of nights, and everything was wonderful. At check-in, they were very friendly and accommodating. The grounds were absolutely beautiful! They have a complimentary shuttle to their private beach which was very convenient...only a 5 minute trip across the road. The pool was nice, not too crowded, lots of chairs. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Minneola, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This is a very well kept Marriott property. The customer service was excellent, and had great business resources (UPS store on property). I stayed here while my husband attended his week long company meeting. I worked as well, but the hotel had major internet issues due to a cut in a line. So the only game in town was internet at Starbucks. Thanks heavens for them!

The hotel has a few restaurants. A pub downstairs that serves burgers, sandwiches, fries, and salads. A fancier place on the mezzanine with a great mushroom pasta dish. And there is a pool bar. I had great service at all the places.

Rooms were nice (we had a hiccup checking in for a King; got two beds instead in the middle of the atrium). I would agree with other folks - try to stay out of the atrium - it can get loud.

We decided to have a dinner off property and were pointed in the direction of of 619 Ocean View - their restaurant on the beach. When we got there, we were turned away as we were "too casual" for the upstairs location. They allowed us to eat at the bar downstairs. A bit much in my opinion - it's a restaurant on the beach - people were in bathing suits and towels.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the ends - not in the atrium.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Montevideo, Uruguay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

A nice hotel and villas ( I stayed in both) very nice pool and more( I did not have time to visit the spa!) very nice restaurants and very nice rooms.Far away from the airport but near the beach , restaurants and shops. I would come back

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Sandy Hook, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Wow -- the Marriott Sawgrass is a relatively low priced (room rate) destination hotel that gives great access to golfers and vacationers alike....

This hotel is a cut above the standard Marriott fare... Rates are extremely reasonable in this convention sized hotel. It has a great lobby / bar area and impeccable access to the TPC golf course at Sawgrass as well as the beach and other amenities. My only issue during the stay was with the spa.. but I'll get to that in a moment.

I traveled with my family of 4 -- 2 rooms that connected (1 King and 2 Queen bedding). The rooms were standard Marriott rooms - clean and neat and well maintained. Our room overlooked the pool area... it was beautiful. My husband and son played the TPC course while my daughter and I visited a nearby outdoor mall during the one day in the middle of our two night stay.

My daughter (age 18) and I wanted to go to the spa but were very disappointed when we called for a reservation for mani/pedis and were told they didn't have enough nail technicians scheduled to do both of us at the same time (they only had 1)... I found that that a bit unbelievable as the resort bills itself as a high-end spa. I would not have been surprised if they had no available appointments... but to not have enough staff on a Friday was surprising.

When we checked in we got coupons for free drinks/appetizers from the lobby bar.. but this may have been because of my Marriott rewards status (not sure).

Well done Marriott!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Saint Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I stayed one night with my daughter and will return again. Very modern, relaxing lobby. My daughter loved playing checkers. Excellent tall thin bar waiter served us at the coffee table so we could continue playing. Beautiful scenery. Pool needs updating especially the beach club which needs updating badly especially the bathrooms.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
MarriottSawgrass, General Manager at Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions of Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa. Excellent is the word we hope to hear from all of our guests and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. A game of checkers is a great way to spend some quality family time! Your suggestions will be shared with our management team. If there is anything we can do to make you more comfortable, all you need to do is ask. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again.
Rockville, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stopped here on our way back home because we were ready for some R&R on the beach and heard it was a nice property.. The grounds are very pretty and nicely kept. The front desk staff were helpful and efficient. There are a number of restaurants on site as well as some very nice places just off-site as well.
The hotel was pretty empty during our stay.
the lobby is very nice -- like the updated decor.
We had a tower room, which was fine, although it had a bit of a musty smell and we had reserved a 1st floor patio room in the villas.

The bartender at the Vernon's bar was friendly and had nice recommendations.

To be very clear, the hotel is not on the beach. However, the shuttles ran every 10-15 mins or so and we didn't have to wait at all. The Cabana Club also has a parking lot for weekday visits if you care to drive there yourself (in case you want to bring your own umbrella and chairs along-- see below). Just ask for a parking pass at the front desk.
We enjoyed the Cabana club a lot. There are 2 places to eat there, although one of them was closed for a private event one of the days we were there. There are towels, chairs and tables available for the patrons, but the chairs are on the pool deck and immediate patio area. They are not to be taken down to the beach. There is a umbrella/chair/sports equipment rental place just on the beach though. Plan for about $50/day in rentals for 2 lounge chairs ($15 each) and an umbrella ($15) plus tip. These appear to be rented independently of the Marriott property. The pool was a nice size and clean. They had A.M. water aerobics classes today.

The beach is clean, water is clean, and at low tide the beach seems to stretch forever! We had plenty of space.

I wished that I knew more about the other opportunities on the property... it wasn't obvious to me what other things there were to do/see there.

We would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing such a comprehensive review of your time with us at Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay so immensely. No trip to the Florida coast would be complete without a visit to the beach and as you mentioned, our complimentary shuttle service will conveniently take you to and from our private Cabana Beach Club with miles of beautiful sand and sea. Dining here is also such a pleasure with options ranging from casual to more formal. Please know that our associates are always happy to help direct guests to all that we have to offer on our property, as well as points beyond. I do hope you will come back again soon to take advantage of it all.

Been to Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!