“Great Weekend Escape” 5 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points!
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Great Weekend Escape”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I recently celebrated our 2nd wedding anniversary. We "escaped" to Ponte Vedra and had a wonderful time at The Marriott. The front desk staff could not have been more welcoming, the gift shops(2) had a nice assortment of resort amenities as well as golf apparel, and the room was spacious, clean and overlooked the resort out toward the pool and TPC golf course. We found the valet parking staff to be quite helpful and prompt in their service. We were always referred to by our name ... Which I thought was a nice touch given the size of the property.

The resort is adjacent to the TPC Sawgrass Golf Club and clearly many of the guests take advantage of that. The ocean is about a 10 minute drive away, so if you're looking for beach accommodations, this probably will not fit the bill. But it's a good location to head south to St. Augustine and see the sights there as well as head up the road to Jacksonville to explore there.

We'll be back!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
MarriottSawgrass, General Manager at Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback and appreciation of the Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa. Knowing that you enjoyed your romantic weekend getaway is wonderful to read. Each and every guest that walks through our doors is important to us and I am so happy you enjoyed the hospitable service our associates provided. As you mentioned, TPC Sawgrass and St. Augustine attractions are close by, but we also feature a private Cabana Beach Club and complimentary shuttle service back and forth. I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you and your wife back for another wonderful escape.

Tom Manno

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Memphis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

The Marriott Sawgrass has recently been completely refurbished. It's stunning. Of course my review is tainted by the fact that we got a complimentary upgrade to a suite when my husband told them it was our anniversary. (It was!)

What was truly amazing was the staff. They were so accommodating. For such a big hotel, it was no problem for folks to remember your name. The best are the valet staff. And we always self parked. But from check in forward, they called us by name. They even offered to give us rides to restaurants so we didn't have to drive. Such a nice touch.

The food was great. The breakfast buffet was fabulous, as was the decor of the restaurant.

I'm pretty picky, so when I say this hotel was great, it was!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your feedback as well as your celebration getaway with us at the Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa. Happy Anniversary! An unexpected upgrade can certainly provide for a memorable encounter. I am so happy that your special night exceeded your expectations so completely, from the hospitable service of our associates all the way to your dining experiences. I hope that you will allow us the honor of welcoming you back again soon.

Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

First let me say the property is amazing and the staff with the exception of the management is amazing and kind. Now.. here are the hiccups we checked into our villa in bldg 1700 and our room had not been cleaned. This was at 9:30pm on Valentines evening and my husband and I were not very happy.. The sheets were dirty and the tables all had food stuck to them.. we had to call the front desk and have a team come clean at 10pm at night.. huge pain in the butt..when you have driven three hours and had to work that day.. Then hiccup number two.. no hot water in the shower and it took them all day long and several trips back and forth for them to get it fixed.. Third hiccup.. the Spa.. Ugh huge pain in the butt with this place.. It is very beautiful and clean the spa staff that provide your services are beyond kind and considerate.... but the front desk team is not customer friendly or customer service oriented for such a prestigious resort. The clerk checking me out over charged my $100.00 and put it through on my card. Then proceeded to hassle me about it... it took 5 days for it to get back into my back account after they credited it back to me. Yes I got about 15 apologies but honestly I was already pissed off and at this point apologizing is not working... How about so sorry Mr. Perkins please let us give you a free service at the spa for your inconvenience.. Now that would of been a nice customer service effort.. Apologizing does not go a long way with me on this level of a screw up..
I would recommend this resort like I said its amazing to look at and the PGA Sawgrass Golf Club is beyond gorgeous... But the management at the hotel and spa.. need a little help...

Room Tip: Spa services was amazing.. Hot Tub and pool was wonderful... please read review regarding check out...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It is truly regrettable to learn that a guest's experience does not live up to expectations. What should have been a wonderful Valentine escape for you seems to have been left wanting and I do apologize if you found any areas to be lacking or if your guest room was not in order. I will certainly share your feedback with our housekeeping staff to ensure that communication and preparedness is maintained through all areas. As you mentioned, we do feature refreshing Spa treatments and while I am glad to know you found our therapists to be so helpful, it is regrettable if not all of your encounters were the same. Your review if of great value as we hope to provide the ultimate experience to all of our guests and lets us know where any areas of improvement may be needed. Please know that if you would like to discuss your stay in greater detail, I invite you to reach out directly. Thank you for your review, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again and fully impress you with all that we have to offer.

Jamison, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

We have had the pleasure of staying here in the past, but this visit really exceeded our expectations in all ways! Everyone we came in contact with was so friendly and professional and truly went out of their way to ensure we were enjoying our stay. The hotel has recently undergone a major renovation and we were so impressed with the new modern and stylish guestroom, the lobby and Vernon’s restaurant! We also enjoyed dining at Alice and Pete’s Pub, the Sea Porch and really appreciated the availability of Starbucks. The grounds are gorgeous with two pools, two hot tubs and of course amazing courses if you are a golfer! The hotel is in a great location, accessible to shopping and anything you might need! All in all it was the perfect weekend getaway and we hope to return soon!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
MarriottSawgrass, General Manager at Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your review of the Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa. Providing an exceptional stay is our top priority and I am truly pleased to read feedback such as yours and to know that we have succeeded in creating a great experience for a valued guest. We are glad you enjoyed the updates throughout our resort and found your guest room to be modern and well appointed. Savoring some great dining while traveling can be such a treat, not to mention fresh Starbucks coffee to start your day. From taking a dip in our outdoor pools to golfing TPC Sawgrass, it seems you were able to take advantage of much while you were here. I hope you find your way back to us soon, as it would be our pleasure to welcome you again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Although originally from FL, I had never been to Sawgrass and decided to stay there when I found a travel deal for their villas. My mother and I met for a long weekend and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The villas were newly remodeled and had beautiful, clean interiors. A large living area, TVs in both living and bedrooms, a spacious kitchen table area and a great balcony/porch area with chairs and tables. They were much more spacious than I anticipated and much better than most places I've been to that advertise kitchenettes. The kitchenette was perfect - a Publix grocery is across the street so we stopped there for drinks and utensils and were set. It has a small fridge, sink, and micro.There are no kitchen items/utensils there but it is easy enough to get disposable ones at Publix. It was extremely quiet and we woke up everyday to the sound of birds. The villa had a view of an eagle's nest and a small body of water and it was very relaxing. The grounds in general were kept up very nicely - manicured lawns and the pool/jacuzzi was spotless. We saw osprey, eagles, herons, birds of all sorts, and cute otters! We don't golf but the golf course looked beautiful as well. Lastly, the service was exceptional. Everyone from the valet, front desk staff, pool staff, to the bar staff in the lobby were super friendly and helpful. I highly recommend for couples, families, and friends. There is a lot to do within 10-20 miles including the beach, spas, hiking trails, and shopping. Our favorite eats around the area were Poppy's Italian and Zoe's Kitchen for a quick lunch.
My only request would be for staff to take a look at the small body of water between the spa and villas (kinda hidden, behind the new palm trees) because there was a lot of plastic trash there. This was the only place I saw trash (please don't litter in such a beautiful place!) but maybe a small boat could be used to clean the area for the birds/critters that live there.

Room Tip: Villas in the 1100/1200 face water and are very quiet. They are a quick walk to the pool and hotel...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback, your review truly reminds us why we love what we do. I am happy to learn that you and your mother enjoyed such a relaxing getaway and found our Villa accommodations to be well-appointed and comfortable. As you have mentioned, we have recently completed a full renovation of the entire resort. The Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa is surrounded by the beautiful natural landscape of Florida and it must have been so exciting to catch a glimpse of so much wildlife indigenous to the area. Our hospitable associates will be so happy to know that they left you with a positive impression. I will be certain to share your recommendations with our maintenance associates to ensure that all areas are at their best. We do hope you will visit us soon as it would be our pleasure to welcome you again.

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

We stayed in one of the villas in building 1200 overlooking a small body of water, the Villas as with the hotel are newly remodeled. The villas themselves had nice décor and nice TVs. The kitchenette could probably be put to better use as you only have a small mini fridge and a microwave oven, no plates or utensils were in the unit.
The villas are a small walk to the hotel, if you are traveling with someone who doesn’t get around well, then this walk will be a bit too much IMO. The good thing about it is the hotel provides free shuttle to/from the villas, golf courses, hotel as well as to the beach club that they are affiliated with. The people at the hotel are extremely polite and helpful. They have a Starbucks right on site near the lobby, as well as a Pub called Alice & Pete’s where you can get things like burgers and salads and of course beer/cocktails, they have another restaurant called Vernon’s where they serve both breakfast and dinner, I didn’t eat dinner there as it was valentines weekend but I heard it was a little pricey but good, I did however eat the breakfast which was buffet in nature with an omelet station. The omelet chef was very nice and professional! If you venture out try the Aqua Grill it is a must for great seafood and steaks, the Marriott will shuttle you there and back upon request. If you have kids like I do who are always Hungary Al’s pizza delivers right to your door and I found them to be good.

Last, I am Marriott Vacation Club member so if you are accustomed to those villas this will not quite be up to that standard(smaller, less amenities) but for me for a quick getaway it was perfect.

I will be back!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your review and appreciation of the Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa. It is fantastic to hear feedback from our guests and learn of their impressions of our hotel. Our Villa accommodations are spacious and graciously appointed; just perfect for families and larger groups or when you just want to enjoy some extra space. As you mentioned, they are set apart from the main hotel and we are always happy to provide complimentary shuttle service throughout our property and surrounding area. Our Cabana Beach Club offers guests miles of sand and surf to enjoy as well as a pool, dining and more. There is nothing quite like a satisfying dining experience and I am so happy to know you tried some of the delicious options we have on-site. We invite you to come back again for another great stay and to check out even more of what we have to offer.

Indialantic, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

We purchased the golf package winter special and we could not have been happier. It was around thirty degrees with gale winds but we were golfing that day anyway! The staff were so accommodating they went out of their way to make us feel at home even going to the extent of finding us hot cocoa when we came in! We will always remember our experience, thank you so much Rachel, Dannieal, Sarah and Louise for helping make a dream vacation come true! Also we have to mention the fantastic food found in Marriott's Lounge, the staff Jeremy, Brian, Jeff and Ben were so helpful and knowledgeable that they made our meal exceptionally special. Thank you Marriott for having such special people. Each and every one is an asset to your company.

Room Tip: The view of the pools were exceptional.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the high praise you have offered of our associates! I am happy to know that each and every person here was able to contribute to such a great experience for you. Despite the weather, you certainly are true golf lovers for having braved the elements during your visit. It is always our hope to make you feel right at home during your vacation, all the way to the hot chocolate to warm you. I do hope you will join us again at the Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa for another visit soon.

Tom Manno

Been to Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!