“Beautiful Sunsets” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 36 Hotels in Pompano Beach
Florida, New York
“Beautiful Sunsets”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

We have been several times to the Sands for Dinner and drinks with friends. What a great time everyone had. The sun was setting, the drinks and beer were plentiful and the food was terrific, especially the chicken wings, hamburgers and sweet potato fires. For the vegetarians, they have great veggies on focaccia bread. For a fun night you have it all. We will be back.

Ginny V

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We just stopped by this hotel to hang out at their patio bar and really enjoyed it. We loved sitting outside, watching the boats go by on the intercoastal waterway. The food and drinks were good, the bartenders/waitstaff attended to our every need and the atmosphere was a lot of fun.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Pompano Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We did not stay at the Hotel but we enjoyed the restaurant for lunch.
Great location as it is on the inter coastal with a marina next door.
Casual dining with round tables or sit at the bar which has ample seating.
Good selection of draft beer including a couple choices of craft beers.
Try the Sands wings-you will not be disappointed.
In addition to several daily specials they have a very good selection on the regular menu.
Staff is very friendly and service is excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Point Pleasant, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We made plans to stay here for 5 nights, and I called there directly, had a feeling 2 nights before we flew in to call and confirm, well the 1st girl I talked to said I was coming in a later date than my plan, I said impossible since I called with my calender in front of me and I just booked my flight. She more or less hung up on me and when I called back I got her supervisor who not only gave us a room, but a better one and at a lower price, great view, good food, great servers, great bartenders, great staff all around, yes they do have down fall, they need to re do pretty much the whole building, but we felt between the staff and the location we could over look the older decor.

Room Tip: get a room on the 7th or 8th floor for an outstanding view of the Intercoastal Waterway and the ocea...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We stayed at the Sands this past weekend. and were pleasantly surprised. We had a blast. The room is older but clean and I love the fact that there is an outside bar & restaurant downstairs where I don't have to walk to any other place. You're right on the Intracoastal with water views on all 4 sides that you can see from your balcony. Divers & boaters will love this place. Staff is friendly and the food is decent. You are also in walking distance to the beautifully renovated beach/walking area.
It can be a little noisy on weekends and the pool can be busy with kids but they seem to clear out later in the day. The only drawback for me was no breakfast at the hotel or within in walking distance that was decent.

Room Tip: Get a corner room where you have views of the ocean & waterways on the upper floors
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Merritt Island, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We always stay at Sands Harbor when diving from the marina next door. They offer a good rate to
scuba divers. This is a no frills hotel but more than adequate when diving. The rooms are clean and the staff are friendly/helpful. The bathroom area is large with lots of space to hang gear. We enjoy the balcony with its view of the Intercoastal Waterway and the ocean. Parking can be difficult but we have always been able to park at the hotel. We do not leave after we get back from diving - many restaurants are within walking distance. The patio grill has limited choices but the food is good. It seems that the rooms are all smoking but we haver never had a problem with cigarette smoke smell.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Maryville, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

2nd stay at Sands Harbor Hotel. In the area to scuba dive. This hotel is short walk to several scuba boats (scubatyme, and 2boats from Pompano dive center). Also walking distance to Houston's restaurant, and a few other smaller food choices,as well as having its own Patio Bar/ Grill (food was pretty good, and decently priced).

Parking is a nightmare. The bar is popular with locals who park in the hotel lot. There is a public pay lot across the street but its expensive. I hate the parking situation.

We had room #801: great view, kitchenette, large room. I forgot to specify a non-smoking room... It had ash trays but did not smell smokey at all. The room was very dated; wall paper separating at seams, wooden doors splintering at bottom. However it seemed clean. Nice sized balcony with 2 chairs.

Maid staff were very friendly; front desk staff has improved since my last visit. One staff member was in the parking lot all day, every day. I don't know if he was security or just loafing, but he was friendly! I didn't feel the need for security in the area. One day, the maid was cleaning next door and she made it a point to make us aware of a weather alert that she had gotten on her phone. I thought that was very thoughtful of her.

I will stay at the Sands Harbor again only because of its location. I don't think I could recommend it to my friends, though, unless I explained how no-frills it is. No hair-dryer, no iron/ironing board. Thin, small bath towels. No pool towels. If I could find another hotel as conveniently located as this, I'd switch.

Please, Sands Harbor...consider updating your hotel rooms a little, and your female guests will be happier.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sands Harbor Hotel and Marina Pompano Beach? Share your experiences!