“Loved this hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Pompano Beach
Louisville, KY
“Loved this hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

My boyfriend and I just got back a few days ago from a 5 night stay at the Beachcomber Resort Hotel & Villas, and I it was a wonderful vacation! After reading the bad reviews I was really nervous but booked anyway because it looked ok from the pictures, and had free parking. I had originally booked at the Courtyard Marriott, but was told there was a mandatory valet parking fee of $26.50/day which I found rediculous so I canceled. I couldn't have been more pleased w/ my choice.

We arrived at 1:00 pm 2hrs before check in, but were able to get into our room within about 45 min. While we waited we checked out the grounds, and they were beautiful, and very well maintained. It was so green and tropical w/ all kinds of plants everywhere. The landscaping was very nice. The main pool was right in the middle of everything, and was well maintained as well. We sat on the beach while waiting for our room, and it was beautiful! The beach is literally steps from the hotel, and very convenient.

Once we got our keys we nervously took the elevator to our 5th floor room. The hallway could use a little more lighting, but we felt safe and it was very clean. We were pleasantly surprised when opening the door. Right when we stepped in there was a kitchenette, and the bathroom a fews steps past that. There was a huge area for closet space, and a nice room to get dressed. The bathroom was very clean, and there was no mold as some have posted in other reviews. The water pressure in the shower was great, and the water took no time to get to a comfortable temp.

The main part of the room had a huge king size bed which was extremely comfortable, and we were given clean sheets each day when the maid cleaned the room, and made up the bed. There was an entertainment center w/ a TV, a desk w/ a nice chair, and another really comfortable chair w/ ottoman. The carpet was not dirty, nor was anything else. The furniture was all nice, and made of good quality. Nothing was falling apart, and nothing looked overly worn. The wooden shutters were wonderful, and kept the room nice and dark to sleep at night. They just made it hard for me to get up early because it was hard to tell when it was dark or light outside. It's a good idea to leave them just slightly cracked if you don't want to sleep to late or plan on getting up early for the beautiful sunrises on the beach. They do also wake up calls as well.

The balcony was the best part! It was huge w/ two lounge chairs, and a table in the middle. We were in an ocean view room w/ wonderful views of the ocean w/ the pool area right below us. We spent many hours just sitting there enjoying the sights, and sounds of the beach. It was so peaceful and relaxing. We couldn't get enough of it. It was the first thing I did every morning and last thing I did every night.

The beach is amazing w/ beautiful sand, and the color of the ocean was georgeous. We chose not to get the cabana's for $20, umbrellas for $10, or the chairs for $5, but they are available for those who are interested. We chose to get towels from the cabana and just lay them out on the beach. They served our purpose just fine, because we were in the water most of the time or walking along the beach anyway. It was so peaceful to take night walks along the sand or just sit in the chairs and listen to the sounds of the ocean. The beach was never very crowded, and it was kept pretty clean.

This hotel is right off of A1A so even though there isn't much within walking distance we didn't feel put out because there is so much along that strip. There are plenty of restaurants, Walgreen's, and Publix all along that strip of road, and we very seldom ventured off of it. We spent a lot of time around the Commercial Drive area, and Las Olas Blvd. Aruba's is a great place to eat right on the beach, and the Sea Watch has great food as well both are on the A1A. Morengo's, and La Bonne Crepe are great places right along Las Olas Blvd. The only thing is that parking is hard to find.

Right across the street is a little place called Stinger's that has pizza, and basic things like Chicken Strips, and Hamburgers. There is also a beach shop, and a convenient store that we made good use of. It was great to be able to walk across the street to get basic things. I also saw a couple shops w/ women's clothing, and a drycleaner's, but we didn't go into those.

I had previously mentioned the main pool which we used very frequently. It's nice and heated to a comfortable temp. There is a sign that says no night swimming, but some people including us did from time to time. I think as long as your not loud the hotel doesn't really mind. There are plenty of chairs around, and a few tables w/ umbrellas. The tiki bar is right beside the pool, and can come in handy, but the drinks are pricey $9.25 for a margarita or pina colada. Steve was a great bartender, but we didn't much care for Rachel There is also a restaurant and inside bar, but again drinks are pricey. One shot of tequilla that my boyfriend got in the main bar was $8. If the main pool is too crowded there is a smaller pool on the other side. Both are right by the beach.

My only complaint about this hotel is the fact that they require you to place a hold on your credit card for $10/day for the amount of your stay. This is for incidentals, and to allow you to charge things to your room. You will get this back if you choose not to charge anything or the balance if there is one left. Bernard the manager who checked us in told us we wouldn't be charged, but someone went behind him and placed the hold so we just went ahead and charged stuff to the room until we met the $50. After that we paid cash, but someone (Rachel) then decided to add another $40 to the hold which caused lots of problems. We hadn't charged anything for 2 days when she did that. I was able to get a credit card release form, but it took several hours to get that money back. I'd just say watch your bank account, and question any unusual charges. Also neither my boyfriend or I much cared for Rachel (the bartender at the tiki bar I mentioned earlier). She's very hard to take at times, but we just stayed away from her after our first dealing w/ her.

All in all I had a great stay, and plan on making this my hotel for future visits to the Ft. Lauderdale area. If you have any questions the guy at the concierge desk is very helpful, and has a huge wealth of knowledge for things to do, and places to eat. He was great! I was very sad to leave, and can't wait to visit again soon. My boyfriend and I kept trying to figure out what all the bad reviews were about, but all we could come up w/ was that they chose not to get the ocean view or ocean front rooms? Or that they were hotel snobs who could find things wrong w/ the Four Season's, or any other 5 star hotel. There is also another building w/ rooms and villa's on the other side of the main pool that we didn't see so maybe that was the problem? The main building is fabulous! We had a wonderful experience, and had one of the best vacations in a very long time! I would recommend this hotel to just about anyone.

• Liked — The beach location, the pool, and the balcony
  • Disliked — Having to leave!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

I stayed here over the 4th of July week and loved every second of it. The rooms were comfortable and well kept. We were immediately upgraded to an ocean view room which overlooked the main pool and gave gorgeous views of the ocean and beach from the balcony. We were so excited and rightfully so. The balcony was quite spacious and offered enough room for two people to lounge comfortably. The hotel features two pools, a tiki bar, shuffleboard, and chair rentals for the beach. The beach is mostly secluded and you have plenty of room to lay out and relax. The hotel is right on the beach so you have convenient access to the beach and the resort without going too far. The staff was wonderful. Very accomodating and always friendly. You really felt welcome and at home while you were there. The beds were extremely comforting and the plantation shutters keep the room nice and dark and it's easy to sleep the morning away if you're not careful. :) Best to leave them cracked so light can get through in the morning or set a wake up call.

The room offers a TV with limited cable choices (local channels, espn, hbo, tbs, tnt, cnn, and msnbc) but it wasn't a problem for my group. We stayed outside mostly and the TV was just used for background noise while getting ready or for watching before bed.

If you book here keep in mind that you are convenient to Ft. Lauderdale by car but it's not walking distance. The resort has plenty to do and the concierge near the front desk is quite helpful. There is a restaurant onsite at the hotel and one across the street. Actually, speaking of across the street, there is a convenience store there that came in handy during our visit.

I recommend this hotel to anybody who wants to get away and stay at a comfortable hotel with beach access and plenty of pool space as well.

I had a blast there and look forward to returning soon!!! We saw groups ranging anywhere from a newlywed couple to families with children all enjoying themselves. This hotel is a must stay if you are headed to South Florida!!!

• Liked — the great staff, having two pools and the beach being right in front of us, and the great staff :)
  • Disliked — Having to go home
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tampa FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

Stayed the weekend celebrating our 2nd wedding anniversary. We are in our early 30s, no kids, travel frequently but always try to find the best deal for a cute place. Wanted something directly on the beach, with oceanfront balcony, pool, and cabanas for under $150 and the beachcomber was the only hotel I could find that met all the criteria. Place is super nice on the outside, lots of character compared to hotels nearby. The oceanfront balcony was the best part, great comfy lounge chairs and perfect view. We were on the 2nd floor, next time going to ask to be higher, but 2nd was still good, wouldnt do first floor though. So for the oceanfront balconies there are 3 of them on each floor and we had the middle one, unless you like noise from the pool then ask for the balcony furthest from pool area. That was prolly the worst part, tons of kids screaming and running around with parents egging them on. All of the partial views overlook the pool I think and the balconies arent private like the ocean front ones. The front desk people were really nice. The hallways are kind of spooky, narrow and all concrete. We didnt eat at the restaurant or drink in the lounge although it has a sign that says 2 for 1 drinks 5-7 pm everyday. As for the room itself, it was pretty good. The bed was comfy and the decor is nice, they could paint the walls, lots of scratch marks. The bathroom was the weirdest....it had a place for a door but there wasnt one and it was right off the closet or as they called it the "dressing room." Was just inconvenient if someone was in the bathroom then you couldnt get into the closet, doesnt work well when people trying to get ready. Bathroom could stand to be redone also, it wasnt the cleanest but better than like a motel. They have cabanas to rent right in front of the hotel, 20 bucks for cabana, 10 for umbrella, or 5 if you just want a chair. They have beach towels so you dont need to bring yours. And they had a massage guy on the beach, like 40 bucks for 30 minutes. I was just about to go get one when they (people from hotel) made everyone come off the beach, said there was a storm coming, but it didnt come so that was annoying, cut the day short. I think they should have waited to make that decision later. Oh, we saw a shady character on the beach so make sure not to leave your stuff unattended!! Free parking right in front, never had a problem so that was nice. There is a little convenience store across the street and breakfast place. Thats about all we saw within walking distance. Had lunch at Jacks Hamburgers on Cypress (yummy but greasy), and dinner at La Veranda on Atlantic, that place was unbelievably fabulous, Italian Mediterranean, we spent 100 bucks (wine, two dinners, appetizer, and dessert), totally worth it! But overall, was a good place. Would just recommend getting ocean front balcony, higher floor, away from pool and to not be too picky about your bathroom! Have fun!

• Liked — Oceanfront balcony
  • Disliked — Loud kids, bathroom setup
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Wichita, KS USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2008

This beautiful hotel exceeded my expectations. Based on the pictures and what I was paying, I was expecting something much less. Before we even checked in, we went through two room upgrades!! The garden rooms overlook a semi private pool (the other pool being close to the big building). In just a matter of seconds, you are standing on a very nice beach with awesome water. I spent hours and hours out in it.

Good place to stay if you can tolerate construction noise from next door. The help was nice and friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ashland, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

I stayed at the Beachcomber for 4 nights with my boyfriend for a long weekend to relax by the ocean. We paid approximately $130 per night for an oceanfront room. It's worth every penny to upgrade to an ocean front room. We had this amazing balcony that overlooked the ocean with huge glass doors leading out to it. When we were laying in bed, all we could see is water. It was wonderful. Here are a few notes from the trip:

Pros -

- Beach was amazing. It felt larger than the beach space down in the Ft Lauderdale area. The hotel rented out beach chairs for $5/day or cabana's for $20/day which included two chairs.
- There seemed to be a lot of families on the beach but there was enough space that if you wanted some peace and quiet, you could find more private areas.
- Right next door there is a place that has waverunners, parasailing, banana boats, etc. It's nice to have watersports so close!
- There is a great patio area with two pools. The hotel staff was very chill and didn't seem to mind that my boyfriend and I brought our own beers and food down. Again, there is lots of space on the patio so if you have kids or don't have kids, you can find a spot that is perfect for you where you won't bother one another.
- Great outdoor tiki bar on the patio. Great bartender. On saturday the tikibar hosted a bbq with amazing burgers.
- Kitchenette (fridge, microware, sink) in our room with a nice little bistro area.
- Large updated bathroom.
- The room was clean. The bed was confortable.
- AMAZING balcony overlooking the ocean.
- AMAZING view from from the room.
- Good value for the price.
- Friendly, helpful staff.
- Two for one happy hour specials at the bar.
- There is a small shopping plaza across the street if you forget anything (beach store, liquor store, pizza, ice cream, quicky mart).

Cons -

- It's a few miles north of Ft Lauderdale beach. If you want to go out to the restaurants and shops, you need to drive or take a cab. The cab costs between $10-25 depending on where you are going.
- The decor is a little cheesy.

• Liked — The view. The beach.
  • Disliked — Need to take a cab to Ft Lauderdale. Not walking distance.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Newfoundland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2008

Beautiful Hotel!! We paid for the cheapest room available, and ended up with an AMAZING room, balcony, first floor, right on the pool!! This hotel is right on the ocean, so it's perfect. Only downfall is they expect you to pay for beach chairs, so it's better to just bring the towels down and sit on them! Looks as if these rooms used to be little apartments, they were huge, with a full size fridge, microwave, a hallway lined with closet space. LOTS of space!!

• Liked — Right on the pool/beach.... upgraded! Space, HUGE room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2008

Our stay at the Beachcomber was great. The staff was awesome (especially Mike, who was very friendly), everything was clean and you cant beat the location.
We will definitaly return!

• Liked — The location - so close to the beach!
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pompano Beach
Sea Horse Motel
#1 of 36 in Pompano Beach
5.0 of 5 stars 102 reviews
Pelican Grand Beach Resort, A No...
#13 of 136 in Fort Lauderdale
4.5 of 5 stars 2,565 reviews
Central Beach
Lago Mar Resort and Club
Lago Mar Resort and Club
#9 of 136 in Fort Lauderdale
4.5 of 5 stars 1,690 reviews

Been to Beachcomber Resort and Villas? Share your experiences!