“Fun "Girl's Weekend"!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 35 Hotels in Pompano Beach
Berkeley Heights, New Jersey
“Fun "Girl's Weekend"!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Just stayed with 5 girlfriends for a long weekend at this hotel. My second stay there. Everyone who works there is super friendly and helpful. From the front desk guy, Brian,and all the other front desk people to the bartender at the "Tiki Bar" Steve! Two of my girlfriends were celebrating a big milestone birthday and they made it even more fun! The food served at poolside was delicious as was breakfast in the restaurant.The hotel, which is located right on the beach, is a perfect location to go anywhere. We paid up for an oceanfront room that had a little kitchen, microwave, coffemaker, small fridge. The views are better the higher you stay. The rooms are clean and large and have big balconies but the bathrooms could use a little upgrading.It's nothing fancy but it's clean. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Higher oceanfront rooms have the best views but I've stayed poolside before and they have good v...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
cleveland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We just happened to find this hotel a few years ago because my son stayed there when he attended a conference in Fort Lauderdale. Now, it has become one of our favorite places! We live in Ohio, so it is not close, but we make it a point to go there several times a year. Usually we drive, so it is not a short trip but so worth it. This is the most relaxing, fun and friendly place! If you are looking for a high rise luxury hotel, this is probably not for you. But if you are looking for a place where you can relax right on the ocean and have the most gorgeous views, this is it! When you enter the lobby, you will be greeted by some very helpful, nice people. While I am sure they are all this way, we have had all our contacts with Julie and Brian. They are awesome! Every time we have been there, they've done their best to accommodate us with the room type and location we wanted. Also, they have both helped us numerous times as we wanted to extend our stay. Whenever we are there, it seems we can't bear to leave on our scheduled day and we always want to stay a few extra days. Julie and Brian were able to help us do this. They always seem to remember us when we go back, and if they don't .....we'd never know, because they always welcome us as if they just saw us! LOL! When you walk through the lobby to the outside pool area, the landscaping, flowers and plants are beautiful! There is a tiki bar out there and tables for pool side eating/drinking. The people who work out there are friendly and attentive also. The rooms are not overly fancy, but if you like the Caribbean vibe, as we do, you will be happy. The windows all have big wooden shutters and the views, as I said, are spectacular. The balconies are very large with two big chaise lounges on them. We were in the Outer Banks two weeks ago and decided at the last minute to continue driving another 13 hours to this hotel! Not exactly nearby, but we love it there that much! We are already trying to decide when we can return!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

THE GOOD: location (easy drive to anything you could want), right on the beach, small property, responsive management, friendly staff, surprisingly decent poolside bar/restaurant for such a small property
tHE BAD: property has seen better days (lots of peeling paint, old towels and sheets), a/c is noisy, wifi is unreliable (at least on the beachfront side of the property)
tHE UGLY: ants. Lots of them in our original villa. The front desk was very responsive and moved us to a (smaller) room that was an upgrade because it put us on the oceanfront, which was spectacular. And they dropped the rate, which was much appreciated and appropriate because that first room was nasty!
BOTTOM LINE: it ain't the Ritz, nor does it pretend to be. If you're looking for a decent, nothing fancy but comfortable place on the beach, you'll enjoy it....just do a good search around the place before you settle in. And if you're looking at a villa, stay on the second floor away from the ants...and preferably close to the beach.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Atlantic City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you want to stay right on the ocean - it is a GREAT place to stay. It has the best of both worlds. It has the beach right there and two pools. A great tiki bar with good food. The place is very well kept. Everything is very convenient to the Beachcomber. The beds are comfortable and the balconys are wonderful. A very relaxing place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
BeachcomberGM11, General Manager at Beachcomber Resort and Villas, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
So pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. Really appreciate that you took the time to post such a nice review. Hope you come back soon. Thanks for being our guest; we appreciate your business.
Exton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

In a nutshell, this place was essentially a hybrid between a nicer motel and one of those big resorts. It was great for us, an upper middle-class family because it was slightly more expensive than a bland cheaper hotel or motel but had the nicer features such as pool and bar that an expensive resort would have.
Outlining it in the order that I saw everything, let's start with the fact that it's 30 minutes from Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood Int'l airport (FLL). Pretty easy drive. Driving up to it, I was a little concerned because it wasn't as tall a building as the high-rises surrounding it and had a bland appearance. From the street, I actually thought it looked like a days inn. I thought "Oh well, you get what you pay for". There was a parking lot near the hotel and one directly across the street It's surroundings weren't bad, but not necessarily downtown Fort Lauderdale... It's in this great place called Pompano Beach, which has cleaner and less-crowded beaches than Fort Lauderdale but was a very short drive (15 or 20 minutes on beautiful Ocean Drive) to cute shopping and restaurant areas... maybe 25 mins to downtown Ft Lauderdale. Also about 20 minutes in the other direction to Boca Raton. Pompano has a nice laid-back, family atmosphere yet is still classy. If you can't tell, I loved where this hotel was. I realized all this AFTER I checked in, so this is a little off from the order I saw everything in.... continuing in the order I'm trying to keep, the next thing you notice when you pull in is that there is no valet parking. Even though some might enjoy this service, I find it worthless in a not-so-busy parking lot. Plus you avoid finding a few tip dollars everytime you want to use your car! After pulling up to the lobby area, we pulled the luggage out of the back of the rental car and started check-in. It went very smoothly, and we were very happily surprised that our room was ready earlier than the check-in time, 3pm. This was at about 11am, and after getting up at 4 in the morning to catch a very early flight I was happy that I didn't have to wait too long! The lobby was bland and kind of motel-ish, I was unimpressed. From the street-looks and check-in, I was getting kind of under satisfied. We were given our room keys... our room was 501. To get to it, you had to go outside through sliding doors through the lobby and the hallway to the elevators was directly left once you stepped into the pool area. Once I stepped into this pool/bar/lounge area, I immediately knew that this was no ordinary hotel or motel. The tropical landscaping was BEAUTIFUL! I immediately noticed this in the few moments we stopped to look at it while going to our room. Later in the stay, there's a few things I noticed which I might as well write about now to keep with the "flow".... the heated pool was great, however my family consists of more ocean people who spent their time by the beach. I'm either/or pool/ocean, so I really enjoyed the heated pool. It was right next to a cute tiki bar. There was a second pool in the villa area which was less crowded and I'm sure that hotel guests could use that one too. The poolside bathroom was pretty yucky. Not as bad as one I've seen in the Dominican Republic (which was actually at a 5 star resort, ironic, eh?) but pretty nasty. THERE WAS A WASHING/DRYING area for clothes close by, I capitalized that because I wish I'd known this earlier! I found out on the day before I left, so by then it wasn't really important. Did I mention the lush landscaping with the big fountain?!! It was beautiful. Alright, continuing to finding the room... coming into the hallway to the elevator, it looked decent. Not 5 star, but not bad. It had seashell decorations made out of cheap plaster, nothing special, nothing bad. The elevator was an elevator, nothing that wasn't like an unnormal elevator besides the noise it made. That thing made the funniest noise. The optimist in the family said it sounded like a bird chirping while being born, while the brutalist said it sounded like a bird dying. Haha, it was just funny and a good thing to smile at to ease the tension of awkwardness someone might have with a group of people in there. Walking to our room, 501, it was at the very back of the hotel (near the street) on the 5th floor. It was considered an ocean-view double bed.
I loved the way the room number was displayed. Instead of it being written on the door or on the side, which would look ugly imo, it was on a piece of glass on a tropical design thing made of plaster on the side of the door. Small detail, but I loved it. Walking into this room, to the right was a little kitchenette with a sink and miniature refrigerator. Nice find. I'll just mention that it was missing a cabinet handle and that the refrigerator was awfully small. Nice to have, but the tiny freezer compartment barely had enough room to squeeze more than a few water bottles in it. Looked slightly dated. Continuing into the room deeper, there was a changing area/closet area/bathroom. It was nice to have this separation as we were traveling with mixed family. There was VERY limited storage space throughout the room though. I wish the sliding-door closet had more hangars! Bring some of your own, you won't regret it if you have a lot of clothes! The bathroom was okay, it was dated though. It was also missing a cabinet handle. The shower/bath window led out to the public balcony facing the street, so that was kind of strange. The window had a bit of mold and chipped paint on it, and it was painted in several layers, very "ghettoishly". That thing needed to be replaced! The bathroom was decently clean, but I don't know if I would take a bath in that tub. No one in my family did. Partly because we were short on time, partly because it wasn't exactly "crystal" clean. The shower had AMAZING water pressure though. Great hot and cold water, which sometimes escaped and flooded the bathroom even with the shower curtain IN the bathtub. This got quite annoying to clean up. Alright, continuing deeper into the room was the bedroom area. It was nice how the room was separated into three. There was an air-conditioning vent that kept on falling off. After calling maintenance, they just screwed the piece of metal into the wall again in the middle, leaving a missing seal and random holes. Really?! The bedroom area was okay, it had two double beds and an LCD tv. Furnishing were cheapie beach-decor. Bed was soft and very comfortable. Pillows were firm but that's okay because I like firm pillows. But if you don't, take your own! They left a good stack of towel-cards which were nice, but the towels were kind of cheapy. The rrom was not bad, decently clean. Now to the grand-wow of the room, which was the balcony. It had two huge comfy lounge chairs and an amazing view of the ocean and pool areas even though it was all the way at the back of the hotel. Don't bother paying extra for ocean-front, this view was probably even nicer. I.loved.it. And so did everyone else in my group. Only complaint was that there was no privacy for the balcony... luckily ours was end-unit so we had one wall, but otherwise it would of been exposed from both sides which could get annoying. Also, the room wall to the balcony was thin, so you could hear the obnoxious teens on spring break in the pool screaming past midnight and slamming the doors. Nothing major, overall it was quieter since it was in Pompano instead of downtown Fort Lauderdale.
The pool and beachside restaurant was great. There was this one male server with short blonde hair that was especially accommodating and nice, however all the staff there were wonderful. Food was pricey, but normal for Fort Lauderdale standards. Make sure to notify them that your there or else they won't notice!! Sometimes the maid staff could of been rude... they gave dirty looks especially this one older woman, which was not very pleasant. Avoid the service elevators on the sides of the hotel, these are meant to only transport cleaning supplies by maintenance! I accidentally went in it and it was small and ugly. But I wasn't supposed to go in there, so it was okay.
Overall, if you have 3-4 star expectations, you will be happy. The features such as the view and pool area make up for the neutral things. It was great to have the resort on the beach, as you didn't have to cross the road to get to it like a lot of the other resorts in downtown Ft Lauderdale!!!!!!!
Any questions let me know, feel free to ask.

Room Tip: Don't bother with an oceanfront room, all rooms have exceptional views!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post this very comprehensive review about your recent stay at the Beachcomber. Glad to see that you enjoyed your overall experience with us. We have already addressed the few shortcomings that were mentioned in your review about your room. We really do appreciate your attention to detail and for taking the time to share your experience and impressions of the Beachcomber. By the way, the beeping sound in the elevators is for the sight impaired; the elevator beeps as an indication of each floor it passes so those who cannot see the floor display in the elevator can count the floors and know what floor they are going to or are on. Just so you know what that is all about.

Hope that when your travels bring you back to south Florida that the Beachcomber will be your first choice. Thanks for being our guest.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We travel to Fort Lauderdale several times a year for business/pleasure. I prefer to stay right on the ocean (I don't want to have to cross a street to get to the beach). I love the sound of the waves. We always get a oceanview room. The property is very nicely maintained. You can tell the staff takes pride in the hotel. The rooms are very nice. I love the oversized Caribbean style furniture, yes, it's dark, but it is absolutely beautiful. I also like that there is a fridge, microwave, and sink in the room. The location is awesome. Parking is free. You won't find a better value out there. That is what keeps us coming back every time. The pool is nice and I love the Tiki bar and the ability to have every meal poolside. It's a nice size resort/hotel and easy to get around. The rooms with the balconies are great. I love having my coffee in the morning over-looking the ocean. We have gone as a family (ages 2 & 5) and sometimes without the kids. Either way, this is a great place to stay and can't wait until we return. Sooner rather than later!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
So nice to see that the Beachcomber is your favorite place to stay when visiting the greater Fort Lauderdale area. We love to hear that (blush); thank you. Really to hope you'll be back sooner than later too. Very much appreciate the very positive review and that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks, we hope to see you again real soon.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Can't begin to say enough good things about the Beachcomber in Pompano. We absolutley LOVED our ocean front room ! We plan on staying here again....The staff were friendly, the room was clean, the layout of the property was great ~ nicely landscaped, 2 pools, outdoor eating, tiki bar, etc. etc....Thank you Beachcomber for a providing my husband & I with great vacation memories!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Beachcomber Resort and Villas? Share your experiences!