“GREAT VALUE, beachfront, nicer-motel/full-service resort hybrid” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Pompano Beach
Exton, Pennsylvania
“GREAT VALUE, beachfront, nicer-motel/full-service resort hybrid”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

In a nutshell, this place was essentially a hybrid between a nicer motel and one of those big resorts. It was great for us, an upper middle-class family because it was slightly more expensive than a bland cheaper hotel or motel but had the nicer features such as pool and bar that an expensive resort would have.
Outlining it in the order that I saw everything, let's start with the fact that it's 30 minutes from Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood Int'l airport (FLL). Pretty easy drive. Driving up to it, I was a little concerned because it wasn't as tall a building as the high-rises surrounding it and had a bland appearance. From the street, I actually thought it looked like a days inn. I thought "Oh well, you get what you pay for". There was a parking lot near the hotel and one directly across the street It's surroundings weren't bad, but not necessarily downtown Fort Lauderdale... It's in this great place called Pompano Beach, which has cleaner and less-crowded beaches than Fort Lauderdale but was a very short drive (15 or 20 minutes on beautiful Ocean Drive) to cute shopping and restaurant areas... maybe 25 mins to downtown Ft Lauderdale. Also about 20 minutes in the other direction to Boca Raton. Pompano has a nice laid-back, family atmosphere yet is still classy. If you can't tell, I loved where this hotel was. I realized all this AFTER I checked in, so this is a little off from the order I saw everything in.... continuing in the order I'm trying to keep, the next thing you notice when you pull in is that there is no valet parking. Even though some might enjoy this service, I find it worthless in a not-so-busy parking lot. Plus you avoid finding a few tip dollars everytime you want to use your car! After pulling up to the lobby area, we pulled the luggage out of the back of the rental car and started check-in. It went very smoothly, and we were very happily surprised that our room was ready earlier than the check-in time, 3pm. This was at about 11am, and after getting up at 4 in the morning to catch a very early flight I was happy that I didn't have to wait too long! The lobby was bland and kind of motel-ish, I was unimpressed. From the street-looks and check-in, I was getting kind of under satisfied. We were given our room keys... our room was 501. To get to it, you had to go outside through sliding doors through the lobby and the hallway to the elevators was directly left once you stepped into the pool area. Once I stepped into this pool/bar/lounge area, I immediately knew that this was no ordinary hotel or motel. The tropical landscaping was BEAUTIFUL! I immediately noticed this in the few moments we stopped to look at it while going to our room. Later in the stay, there's a few things I noticed which I might as well write about now to keep with the "flow".... the heated pool was great, however my family consists of more ocean people who spent their time by the beach. I'm either/or pool/ocean, so I really enjoyed the heated pool. It was right next to a cute tiki bar. There was a second pool in the villa area which was less crowded and I'm sure that hotel guests could use that one too. The poolside bathroom was pretty yucky. Not as bad as one I've seen in the Dominican Republic (which was actually at a 5 star resort, ironic, eh?) but pretty nasty. THERE WAS A WASHING/DRYING area for clothes close by, I capitalized that because I wish I'd known this earlier! I found out on the day before I left, so by then it wasn't really important. Did I mention the lush landscaping with the big fountain?!! It was beautiful. Alright, continuing to finding the room... coming into the hallway to the elevator, it looked decent. Not 5 star, but not bad. It had seashell decorations made out of cheap plaster, nothing special, nothing bad. The elevator was an elevator, nothing that wasn't like an unnormal elevator besides the noise it made. That thing made the funniest noise. The optimist in the family said it sounded like a bird chirping while being born, while the brutalist said it sounded like a bird dying. Haha, it was just funny and a good thing to smile at to ease the tension of awkwardness someone might have with a group of people in there. Walking to our room, 501, it was at the very back of the hotel (near the street) on the 5th floor. It was considered an ocean-view double bed.
I loved the way the room number was displayed. Instead of it being written on the door or on the side, which would look ugly imo, it was on a piece of glass on a tropical design thing made of plaster on the side of the door. Small detail, but I loved it. Walking into this room, to the right was a little kitchenette with a sink and miniature refrigerator. Nice find. I'll just mention that it was missing a cabinet handle and that the refrigerator was awfully small. Nice to have, but the tiny freezer compartment barely had enough room to squeeze more than a few water bottles in it. Looked slightly dated. Continuing into the room deeper, there was a changing area/closet area/bathroom. It was nice to have this separation as we were traveling with mixed family. There was VERY limited storage space throughout the room though. I wish the sliding-door closet had more hangars! Bring some of your own, you won't regret it if you have a lot of clothes! The bathroom was okay, it was dated though. It was also missing a cabinet handle. The shower/bath window led out to the public balcony facing the street, so that was kind of strange. The window had a bit of mold and chipped paint on it, and it was painted in several layers, very "ghettoishly". That thing needed to be replaced! The bathroom was decently clean, but I don't know if I would take a bath in that tub. No one in my family did. Partly because we were short on time, partly because it wasn't exactly "crystal" clean. The shower had AMAZING water pressure though. Great hot and cold water, which sometimes escaped and flooded the bathroom even with the shower curtain IN the bathtub. This got quite annoying to clean up. Alright, continuing deeper into the room was the bedroom area. It was nice how the room was separated into three. There was an air-conditioning vent that kept on falling off. After calling maintenance, they just screwed the piece of metal into the wall again in the middle, leaving a missing seal and random holes. Really?! The bedroom area was okay, it had two double beds and an LCD tv. Furnishing were cheapie beach-decor. Bed was soft and very comfortable. Pillows were firm but that's okay because I like firm pillows. But if you don't, take your own! They left a good stack of towel-cards which were nice, but the towels were kind of cheapy. The rrom was not bad, decently clean. Now to the grand-wow of the room, which was the balcony. It had two huge comfy lounge chairs and an amazing view of the ocean and pool areas even though it was all the way at the back of the hotel. Don't bother paying extra for ocean-front, this view was probably even nicer. I.loved.it. And so did everyone else in my group. Only complaint was that there was no privacy for the balcony... luckily ours was end-unit so we had one wall, but otherwise it would of been exposed from both sides which could get annoying. Also, the room wall to the balcony was thin, so you could hear the obnoxious teens on spring break in the pool screaming past midnight and slamming the doors. Nothing major, overall it was quieter since it was in Pompano instead of downtown Fort Lauderdale.
The pool and beachside restaurant was great. There was this one male server with short blonde hair that was especially accommodating and nice, however all the staff there were wonderful. Food was pricey, but normal for Fort Lauderdale standards. Make sure to notify them that your there or else they won't notice!! Sometimes the maid staff could of been rude... they gave dirty looks especially this one older woman, which was not very pleasant. Avoid the service elevators on the sides of the hotel, these are meant to only transport cleaning supplies by maintenance! I accidentally went in it and it was small and ugly. But I wasn't supposed to go in there, so it was okay.
Overall, if you have 3-4 star expectations, you will be happy. The features such as the view and pool area make up for the neutral things. It was great to have the resort on the beach, as you didn't have to cross the road to get to it like a lot of the other resorts in downtown Ft Lauderdale!!!!!!!
Any questions let me know, feel free to ask.

Room Tip: Don't bother with an oceanfront room, all rooms have exceptional views!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
BeachcomberGM11, General Manager at Beachcomber Resort and Villas, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post this very comprehensive review about your recent stay at the Beachcomber. Glad to see that you enjoyed your overall experience with us. We have already addressed the few shortcomings that were mentioned in your review about your room. We really do appreciate your attention to detail and for taking the time to share your experience and impressions of the Beachcomber. By the way, the beeping sound in the elevators is for the sight impaired; the elevator beeps as an indication of each floor it passes so those who cannot see the floor display in the elevator can count the floors and know what floor they are going to or are on. Just so you know what that is all about.

Hope that when your travels bring you back to south Florida that the Beachcomber will be your first choice. Thanks for being our guest.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We travel to Fort Lauderdale several times a year for business/pleasure. I prefer to stay right on the ocean (I don't want to have to cross a street to get to the beach). I love the sound of the waves. We always get a oceanview room. The property is very nicely maintained. You can tell the staff takes pride in the hotel. The rooms are very nice. I love the oversized Caribbean style furniture, yes, it's dark, but it is absolutely beautiful. I also like that there is a fridge, microwave, and sink in the room. The location is awesome. Parking is free. You won't find a better value out there. That is what keeps us coming back every time. The pool is nice and I love the Tiki bar and the ability to have every meal poolside. It's a nice size resort/hotel and easy to get around. The rooms with the balconies are great. I love having my coffee in the morning over-looking the ocean. We have gone as a family (ages 2 & 5) and sometimes without the kids. Either way, this is a great place to stay and can't wait until we return. Sooner rather than later!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
So nice to see that the Beachcomber is your favorite place to stay when visiting the greater Fort Lauderdale area. We love to hear that (blush); thank you. Really to hope you'll be back sooner than later too. Very much appreciate the very positive review and that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks, we hope to see you again real soon.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Can't begin to say enough good things about the Beachcomber in Pompano. We absolutley LOVED our ocean front room ! We plan on staying here again....The staff were friendly, the room was clean, the layout of the property was great ~ nicely landscaped, 2 pools, outdoor eating, tiki bar, etc. etc....Thank you Beachcomber for a providing my husband & I with great vacation memories!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Niagara Falls, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised by our room and view. The furniture is very nice. The hotel does need some maintenance: however, this did not impact our feelings for this place. The price for this hotel was our deciding factor to try this instead of staying in Fort Lauderdale itself. We did far better staying here. The beach was excellent. There were many nice restaurants just a short drive away.

Room Tip: You will wish to chose a room in the tower that is as high up as possible. We were on the fifth flo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Vacaville, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

The hotel is in a great location (right on the beach), but I think it needs renovation. My room was a corner room with a view of the ocean and a kitchenette. With the exception of the LED TV, the room reminded me of the 1970's. The kitchen and bathroom looked like they may have had a partial renovation. I must say the room was clean, just outdated. The windows in this room need to be cleaned more often.

The TV reception was bad. Most of the channels were kind of snowy, like it was getting reception off an old TV antenna on the roof.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Saint Joseph, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Spent a week here with family. Highlights: heated pool (my 2 1/2 year old loved it), hotel right next to beach, relatively quiet hotel, rooms with fridge and microwave, newspaper delivered outside door Mon-Fri. We randomly picked this place and Pompano Beach itself (about half an hour from Ft. Lauderdale airport). Beach was nice, not too crowded. We rented a car which made all the difference in being able to check out different restaurants in the area and local libraries, stores, Sat. farmers market, casino, etc. Without a car you are much more isolated (a few places in walking distance). Note: if you've never been to Florida and are looking for a secluded beach or quaint town, this is not the place. It's typical high-rise condos on beach and urban sprawl/suburbia for a city. Hotel prices are not the cheapest but maybe that's what you pay to be right on the beach. I would prefer renting a condo with full kitchen facilities, but you can't beat the heated pool, so depends on what you're looking for. For what you're paying you'd expect outstanding service and facilities, but not always the case (we had issues with room door and heat which only got resolved by the end of our stay). All in all, given the other hotel options in the area, a decent choice and location for a beach vacation in Pompano Beach.

Room Tip: Rooms on south side (2-story) above smaller (unheated) pool were nice: on back side from main hotel...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Lodi, New Jersey, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My best girlfriend was getting married, and designated this hotel as the one to stay at. I think among the whole party we had booked ten or eleven rooms in the hotel.

I arrived on a Thursday, the day before the wedding, without a reservation and was able to get a great room for a great price. I took a two bed pool side villa, since I knew a friend would be joining me. While it was one the furthest from the actual pool that did not bother me as I greatly enjoyed it's recluse and privacy. Once I found out about it (due to my own searching, and not thanks to the staff) I also was a big fan of the side gate that allowed me easier access to my room then having to walk all the way around through the main hotel entrance.

The decor of the Villa differed slightly from the regular rooms in the hotel tower, but both keep a very traditional feel, which I am fine with, though I think that the drab use of colors makes them feel a bit more dated then they actually are. The bedroom was great, I was very pleased with the flat screen tv and free HBO. The little room with the closet was fantastic, and I loved my little fridge. Sadly my coffee pot was broken, but they did have coffee available in the main dining room every day for a dollar a cup. The bathroom was nice, plentiful of towels, and everything else that a bathroom should have. Though a vent or window would have been nice, it did get pretty steamy during showers, not easy doing makeup and hair in fogged up mirrors.

The biggest disappointment were the puke stains on my toilet, which I cleaned off myself. Omissions happen, but toilets are gross and should really be paid attention to. Another cleanliness issue was the red stain on my bed spread, I did not investigate it closely since I always bring my own blanket to hotels anyhow.

Steve at the Tiki bar will make your stay. He is a fantastic bartender and an absolute peach to talk to. Frank, who was my server at the beach cabana was also truly wonderful. The sad part is that none of the other staff stood out to me. It felt like they were all just doing their job, not going out of their way to make the guests stay special. I did not join the morning after the wedding breakfast but from what I heard from the rest of our group the service was pretty horrible, and filled with attitude.

In conclusion, if the staff puts in a little more effort, and pays closer attention to details this will be one of the best resorts in Pompano Beach, that heated pool alone is worth staying here.

Ps. It has been 5 days since I have checked out and I still have holds on my credit card that equal the amount that has already been charged to my card from the hotel.

Room Tip: The villas are only a few bucks more and are so worth it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Beachcomber Resort and Villas? Share your experiences!