“Nice rooms with Terrific View” 4 of 5 stars

Beachcomber Resort and Villas
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1200 South Ocean Blvd., Pompano Beach, FL 33062   |
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Pompano Beach
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Nice rooms with Terrific View”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised by our room and view. The furniture is very nice. The hotel does need some maintenance: however, this did not impact our feelings for this place. The price for this hotel was our deciding factor to try this instead of staying in Fort Lauderdale itself. We did far better staying here. The beach was excellent. There were many nice restaurants just a short drive away.

Room Tip: You will wish to chose a room in the tower that is as high up as possible. We were on the fifth flo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Vacaville, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

The hotel is in a great location (right on the beach), but I think it needs renovation. My room was a corner room with a view of the ocean and a kitchenette. With the exception of the LED TV, the room reminded me of the 1970's. The kitchen and bathroom looked like they may have had a partial renovation. I must say the room was clean, just outdated. The windows in this room need to be cleaned more often.

The TV reception was bad. Most of the channels were kind of snowy, like it was getting reception off an old TV antenna on the roof.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Saint Joseph, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Spent a week here with family. Highlights: heated pool (my 2 1/2 year old loved it), hotel right next to beach, relatively quiet hotel, rooms with fridge and microwave, newspaper delivered outside door Mon-Fri. We randomly picked this place and Pompano Beach itself (about half an hour from Ft. Lauderdale airport). Beach was nice, not too crowded. We rented a car which made all the difference in being able to check out different restaurants in the area and local libraries, stores, Sat. farmers market, casino, etc. Without a car you are much more isolated (a few places in walking distance). Note: if you've never been to Florida and are looking for a secluded beach or quaint town, this is not the place. It's typical high-rise condos on beach and urban sprawl/suburbia for a city. Hotel prices are not the cheapest but maybe that's what you pay to be right on the beach. I would prefer renting a condo with full kitchen facilities, but you can't beat the heated pool, so depends on what you're looking for. For what you're paying you'd expect outstanding service and facilities, but not always the case (we had issues with room door and heat which only got resolved by the end of our stay). All in all, given the other hotel options in the area, a decent choice and location for a beach vacation in Pompano Beach.

Room Tip: Rooms on south side (2-story) above smaller (unheated) pool were nice: on back side from main hotel...
Lodi, New Jersey, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My best girlfriend was getting married, and designated this hotel as the one to stay at. I think among the whole party we had booked ten or eleven rooms in the hotel.

I arrived on a Thursday, the day before the wedding, without a reservation and was able to get a great room for a great price. I took a two bed pool side villa, since I knew a friend would be joining me. While it was one the furthest from the actual pool that did not bother me as I greatly enjoyed it's recluse and privacy. Once I found out about it (due to my own searching, and not thanks to the staff) I also was a big fan of the side gate that allowed me easier access to my room then having to walk all the way around through the main hotel entrance.

The decor of the Villa differed slightly from the regular rooms in the hotel tower, but both keep a very traditional feel, which I am fine with, though I think that the drab use of colors makes them feel a bit more dated then they actually are. The bedroom was great, I was very pleased with the flat screen tv and free HBO. The little room with the closet was fantastic, and I loved my little fridge. Sadly my coffee pot was broken, but they did have coffee available in the main dining room every day for a dollar a cup. The bathroom was nice, plentiful of towels, and everything else that a bathroom should have. Though a vent or window would have been nice, it did get pretty steamy during showers, not easy doing makeup and hair in fogged up mirrors.

The biggest disappointment were the puke stains on my toilet, which I cleaned off myself. Omissions happen, but toilets are gross and should really be paid attention to. Another cleanliness issue was the red stain on my bed spread, I did not investigate it closely since I always bring my own blanket to hotels anyhow.

Steve at the Tiki bar will make your stay. He is a fantastic bartender and an absolute peach to talk to. Frank, who was my server at the beach cabana was also truly wonderful. The sad part is that none of the other staff stood out to me. It felt like they were all just doing their job, not going out of their way to make the guests stay special. I did not join the morning after the wedding breakfast but from what I heard from the rest of our group the service was pretty horrible, and filled with attitude.

In conclusion, if the staff puts in a little more effort, and pays closer attention to details this will be one of the best resorts in Pompano Beach, that heated pool alone is worth staying here.

Ps. It has been 5 days since I have checked out and I still have holds on my credit card that equal the amount that has already been charged to my card from the hotel.

Room Tip: The villas are only a few bucks more and are so worth it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
New York State
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Reunited with some cousins and picked the Beachcomber to stay at for the one night. Great choice! Staff was great, especially Brian at check in! Nice grounds~ two pools (one heated), lounge chairs everywhere, beautiful beach with foot rinse showers, outside bar, live music; splurged on a room facing the ocean ~ balcony had two lounges and a chair. Room was very large with refrigerator and microwave and a separate dressing room space with a tall dresser!
What more can I say. Watched sunrise from room! Would go back for sure.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
BeachcomberGM11, General Manager at Beachcomber Resort and Villas, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you jazzgal24, we are so glad you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. Very much appreciate the great review. We'll make sure to recognize Brian for being mentioned as well.

Please also give our best to your cousins. Thanks for choosing the Beachcomber for your family gathering. Hope this will become a tradition.

On behalf of the Beachcomber team, we really do appreciate your business and the time you took to post this review.
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We recently stayed at the Beachcomber Resort and Villas. While the prices were somewhat inflated for spring break, I believe that for the normal price it would be a good value. We had an ocean view room on the 7th floor. I would definitely pay extra for the room compared to the “European” rooms. The ocean view room was considerably larger than our friends in the European room (which smelled musty). The king bed was very comfortable; the bathroom area was a good size and separate. Air conditioner worked well, and the balcony with two lounge chairs had a nice view and was a great place to nap and listen to pool music in the afternoon. The internet was slow, as well as the service in the restaurant. The servers were polite but somewhere there was a bottleneck. Around the pool area there were several servers who kept real busy and were very attentive to people’s needs. The front desk staff was helpful when we had printing problems with our boarding passes.
Hotel is showing its signs of aging and could use a facelift in some areas. (However our room was very clean and new). Location is a little north of Ft. Lauderdale.

Room Tip: Pay for the ocean view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Yes, the Beachcomber has a rich heritage and has been in operation (and owned by the same family) for over 50 years. The property is not brand new, but we do take pride in making sure that everything at the resort is clean and in good working condition. Each year our owners fund significant capital improvement projects to assure the longevity and quality of the property, some that do not always meet the eye. Over the last few years, we underwent a structural restoration project, upgraded all life safety systems, and modernized our elevators; this costs big bucks. Last year we updated over 60 guest bathrooms (with granite counter tops and shower surrounds) and painted all of our buildings' exteriors. So far this year purchased new flat screen LED televisions so now every room, suite, and villa is equipped with a flat screen TV (in some rooms 2-3 TVs). We never stop working on improving and updating the property.

We hope you will return to the Beachcomber so you can see that we really do try to continue improving. Thanks for taking the time to post this review and for being our guest.
Holland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We were looking for a 4 day cheap vacation in Florida and this hotel for the price was a good bargain! The have, what they call, European rooms which were much cehaper than the other options. Yes there are no views or balconies, but as we planned to spend most of our time outdoors it did not matter. Rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable. The staff were friendly and the pool and the grounds well maintained. The hotel is on the beach and is 15 minutes walk from a few decent restaurants and also there is a convenient store just opposite the hotel. The happy hour on weekdays is decent and drinks are drinks are overpriced as in any other hotel pool bar. They also had live music by the pool during the happy hour. The hotel will arrange for a shuttle from the airport if you do not want to rent a car - car is not needed if you do not have plans to do sight seeing. Overall, decent hotel with satisfactory ammenities.

Room Tip: European rooms, although have no balconies - you do have a partial view of the ocean from the wondow...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you vodkatonics for the positive review. Love your online handle. You made the right call since you knew you were not planning to spend most of your vacation in the room and you wanted to save on the room rate. You are quite right about our European room type; it is priced at a value because it is smaller than our typical rooms and there is no view or balcony and is not furnished with a refrigerator or microwave. We do offer a variety of other room options with better views, more space, and amenities at a range of price points.

Glad you were satisfied with the property and your overall experience. Just so others who may read this know; we do feature a live guitarist (pool side, weather permitting) during happy hour Thursday thru Sunday (which is apparently the timeframe of your recent stay).

Glad to hear you would return again. Thanks for taking the time to post your review. We appreciate your business.

Been to Beachcomber Resort and Villas? Share your experiences!