“Perfect Place for a Beach Wedding!” 5 of 5 stars

Beachcomber Resort and Villas
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1200 South Ocean Blvd., Pompano Beach, FL 33062   |
Ranked #5 of 35 hotels in Pompano Beach
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Perfect Place for a Beach Wedding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

We had our romantic beach wedding weekend at the Beachcomber Resort in April 2009. Since then we have been back every year! Lucky for us it is right in our backyard and we can stop by any day we want! Staff are always so very nice and Lynn Antell is perfect when it comes to helping you decide on your event. We had so many of our guests from out of town stay at the Beachcomber and they all raved about it! The rooms are grand and gorgeous and the view...magnificent!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

813 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here and was very happy with the beach location and comfortable beds. Read the reviews on Trip Advisor and booked it. The location is perfect for beach lovers and you can rent a lounge, umbrella or cabana for the beach. Actually saw a wedding on the beach at sunset first night. We ordered from the Tiki bar and were not wowed. It was a bit limited and pricy. I had the fish wrap and asked for my fish to be grilled but it was so dry I think it was boiled. Too hard to eat and tasteless. One of my sons had a good burger and the other two ordered pizza which was not very good due to lack of flavor, cardboard crust and rubber cheese. Total bill $72 for lunch. The door for 306 wouldn't open unless you jammed the handle up a few times. Kitchenette sink cold handle fell off in my hand and the maid forgot to sweep up in the bathroom before we arrived. I made a list for management on the way out to notify them he said some of the doors have issues and took my note and taped it to the desk so I think they mean to take care of things. All in all we enjoyed our stay but not the food. Pool is small but who needs it when you have a whole ocean instead?

• Stayed July 2012
Naples, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We took a quick one day trip to Pompano Beach, from Naples, FL to visit with family and to enjoy an evening in an oceanfront environment. We picked this property for the advertisement of pillow top beds as most hotel beds tend to be as hard as the floor which is something that we are unable to tolerate. The bed was indeed absolutely amazing, far exceeded my expectations with respects to comfort....... no doubt the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept on and it was a pleasure to get a good solids night sleep at a hotel.

The property itself also had alot of character and charm with its marble / traventine hallways, spacious restaurant, and very nice landscaped tropical grounds. The environment and surroundings made me feel as though I was on an exotic island instead of just 2 hours away on the other side of Florida!

The big HOWEVER in my review title is that the smell of mildew and mold in the hotel lobby which is amplified by about 30 in the actual hotel room was quite difficult for me during the short stay. I immediately cranked up the air conditioning in the room however the smell was beyond strong and did not lesson throughout the stay. I notice most beach hotels, as well as older hotels in general have some type of musty smell, however this smell was stronger then I have every experienced in any other property which is a shame as otherwise the hotel would have been perfect. I have allergy induced asthma and struggled a bit with breathing while inside the actual room. The room and hotel was actually very clean, therefore I am not sure what the remedy is other then I suspect there is some mold issues that will be hard to overcome. Again.... I know this is typical of this type of climate but was a bit more then I really wanted to tolerate.

The room was comfortable otherwise with it's super comfortable bed, rather large (probably 40 inch) flat screen television, desk, as well as a unexpected mini fridge and microwave. I was also pleasantly surprised with a very large dressing area between the bedroom and the fairly decent and nicely updated bathroom.

The balcony with it's 2 beyond comfortable (cushioned) lounge chairs was much better then I expected and I was able to escape the musty smell by spending most of my waking hours on this balcony reading and surfing the internet on the free wifi service.

The restaurant had a large variety of food with something for everybody to enjoy. Our family enjoyed chicken wings, potato skins, moz cheese sticks, pizza, tuna wrap for dinner and an excellent breakfast of french toast and potatoes.

The pools (2) were adequate with comfortable lounge chairs as well as towel service. We arrived to late to rent lounge chairs on the beach but at only $5.00 a chair that is an exceptional price for any beach front property. We stayed at a competitor last time we were in the area and the daily rental was $15 a chair. We liked the fact that this hotel did not take advantage of their guests with a bunch of inflated and costly extras. The hotel also has free parking which is another huge perk of the area.

In summary, for $120.00 a night for a king sized bed, ocean front room in a well equipped clean hotel is hard to beat. If I did not have allergies / asthma I would not hesitate to return and would simply do so with some febreeze or a few scented candles for the actual room.

Room Tip: I agree with other reviews and wish I had requested my ocean front room to be 5th floor or higher du...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We were in the area for business and just looking for an affordable, clean hotel. We searched and made phone calls for 2 hrs. and visited MANY Hotels that were supposedly awesome by many reviews but what we found was disgusting! They were either dirty, moldy smelling, or charged a rediculous amount for parking. We found a "GEM" when we stumbled onto the Beachcomber Resort! When we drove up to the Beachcomber we thought we had found a run of the mill hotel, after searching for so long.... We went in to the lobby (it is beautiful and the view to the beach from the lobby was breathtaking!) got prices and they were very good then we asked to see a room thinking that would be the bad part since the pricing was so affordable. But much to our surprise it was wonderful! We had a corner room (#709) with a king bed, a great balcony with a beautiful view of the ocean and the loungechairs were padded and so clean and comfortable. The bathroom was very clean and bedroom was very comfortable. They have a dining room (with entertainment) that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner and it was delicious and afordable too. They staff was really friendly, we ended our business 2 days early so we stayed and enjoyed the area since we had never been to this part of FL. They had answers to all of our questions and were very helpful with restaurants to visit for our tastes. They really made our business trip into a vacation! I cannot say enough nice things about them or the hotel! BUT I will tell you we just booked a week with them in Sept. and cannot wait to go back! The hotel grounds are kept perfectly. They are clean and beautiful. We had our meals served outside around the pool. They have 2 pools. Just check out the website, everything you see is for real not just made to look good for the website. You know the hotels that look so good until you check in! This IS NOT one of them. They are a little piece of heaven and are right on the beach. We cannot wait to go back! So go ahead and book it with confidence because they really are a diamond right there among many cubic zirconias!!!! You will not regret your stay with them!

Room Tip: The corner rooms are great but we looked at several room types and liked them all. They were all dec...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I booked this hotel through my airline. I was very happy with the hotel. The place was clean, I had a great view and the room was huge. We booked the ocean view room and it was perfect. No need for a ocean front, we had a gorgeous view. The balconies are nice and they have 2 lounge chairs to lay on. There isn't much privacy but that wasn't a big issue.

The rooms have a king bed so there's lot of room and a separate area for the bathroom and closet/dresser. I did notice the air filters were really dirty but overall it was a clean hotel. The walls did seem thin, some mornings I was woken up by other people out in the hallway or out on their balcony. The pool was nice, we didn't use the bar but we did use the beach in front of the hotel. You can rent chairs and umbrellas at a reasonable price from the pool area. I would recommend this hotel if you want to stay close to Miami but save some money.

Room Tip: I was on the 6th floor, it was perfect. Not too high and not too low. A lower level will get a lot...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Marathon, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

The reason I chose the Beachcomber was they did not charge you $20.00 to $35.00 per day to park your car. All of the Hotels in Ft. Lauderdale were charging this. We had two cars for four nights..You do the math. Just refused to pay that. Will never go to that area because of that. Find it just ridiculious. We really enjoyed the Beachcomber. Great staff..All of them. The pool and beach area were excellant. Food was great and very reasonable priced.Its a little dated but its an old building and they were doing lots of work to update. My only complaint was the housekeeping. She didnt do that great of a job. The TV was all dusty and should really be updated. Pillows were aweful, need updating. I realize thats not her fault, but I wont even go on about what she didnt do. Overall yes, we would go back.

Room Tip: Oceonview rooms are great! Fantastic view!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed this past weekend (July 27-30). We traveled with a few other couples from west coast of Florida. We originally wanted to stay in FTL Beach, but couldn't find what we were looking for. Then we took a chance on Beachcomber & very glad we did! We all stayed in different rooms & all had something different to offer.

We stayed in the pool deck rooms which is a seperate bldg & enjoyed them very much. There are 2 pools but the one at the pool deck rooms is quieter, and had more lounges. While it (room) was older & does need updating, it was very clean. It was efficiency style so had micro, ref, breakfast nook etc which was nice, and a small loveseat whuch was nice. The best part was walk out the door 6 steps to the pool & 12 to the beach! The only downer was you get a towel card & only 1 towel pp but you can keep changing out for a dry one.

Our friends stayed in the main bldg, the oceanfront rooms are super, updated, with great chaise lounges on the balcony. We did have breakfast at the hotel & there was a nice variety, and prices were fair. \We stayed an extra day & happy to find out that prices drop on Sunday- they consider it a weekday!

If you are looking for a 5 star hotel with spa with chocolates on your pillow at night this ain't it folks, but if you are looking for a clean reasonable priced hotel right on the beach- the Beachcomber is the place!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
BeachcomberPompano, General Manager at Beachcomber Resort and Villas, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Thank you Zieg633 from Tampa, Florida, glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the Beachcomber. Really appreciate the positive review.

With regards our towel card system, we issue a towel card for the number of guests registered to the room. We created this system to make sure only registered resort guests have access to our pool towels and to avoid the hassle of making our guests log in/log out for their pool towels; it is also easier for our pool attendants to manage. It works much like a coat check, every time you give us a towel card, we give you a towel, when you turn in the towel we give you the towel card back so you can start all over when you need another towel. We ask our guests to return the towel card at check out to avoid a fee for lost or missing towels. You can always trade in a wet towel for a dry towel (during the pool shop's operating hours or at our front desk when the pool shop is closed), we certainly allow our guest to swap out their wet towels, and do it all the time. Sorry if we did not make that clear that there was no problem to trade a wet towel for a dry towel at any time; we certainly don't expect our guest to deal with a wet towel all day.

Well now you know and we sure do hope you will be our guest again the next time you visit the Greater Fort Lauderdale area. Thanks again for the nice review, we appreciate your business.

Been to Beachcomber Resort and Villas? Share your experiences!