“A Florida Jewel On The Ocean!” 5 of 5 stars

Beachcomber Resort and Villas
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1200 South Ocean Blvd., Pompano Beach, FL 33062   |
Ranked #5 of 35 Hotels in Pompano Beach
Port Washington, Wisconsin
“A Florida Jewel On The Ocean!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

After spending a week in Florida we had decided to stay a extra day and booked at the Beachcomber for just a night,It's been a few years since our last visit but plan to return sooner next time.
The grounds are immaculate as always,Staff professional & VERY HELPFUL,The updated rooms since our last stay are outstanding and detailed nice and well done!
Pools warm,sites clean and safe,Location 5 star's ***** and Our updated Ocean view room was vantastic! 5 PLUSS STARS *****!!!!!
I cant say enough good things about this hotel so if your looking for a great beach hotel at reasonable rates,This jewel has them all!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
954-941-7830, General Manager at Beachcomber Resort and Villas, responded to this review, May 9, 2011
What more can we say but thank you for the very kind review and your loyal patronage. We look forward to having you back real soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

My husband, 12 year old son and I stayed at this hotel from April 12-19. We had only planned on staying three nights but the place was so great that we extended our stay. If you are looking for pool and beach within steps of each other this is the place. It's quiet, very well taken care of and has great staff. Some reviews I had read before going said the place was getting old and tired but we found that it had character, kind of a Mexican feel to it. The rooms were extremely sound proof, which is important to me, being a light sleeper and the beds were so comfortable. The patio off the room (we had a ocean view room) was FANTASTIC with wonderful sunbeds. We ate at the restaurant a few times and it was very good. Lots of other places to eat not too far away. We would go back again and have already recommended this place to family and friends.

Room Tip: oceanview rooms are great
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
954-941-7830, General Manager at Beachcomber Resort and Villas, responded to this review, April 30, 2011
So glad you enjoyed your stay with us; we appreciate the very positive review and of course your business. Do hope you will make the Beachcomber Resort and Villas your home away from home whenever your travels bring you to sunny Greater Fort Lauderdale. Thank you so much!
Fort Wayne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

We stayed here on the last few nights of our honeymoon. The only disappointment was that we had reserved a ocean front roon with a king size bed and upon arrival, were told there were no king rooms available. We still got ocean view,but two double beds with no price adjustment. But, the room was beautiful, as were the grounds and pool area. It has a pool side Tiki bar with a very friendly and entertaining bartender, "Steve". Overall, a very pleasant experience. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
954-941-7830, General Manager at Beachcomber Resort and Villas, responded to this review, April 27, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. Glad you did enjoy and do regret that we were unable to honor your request. In researching your reservation, it was reserved for an ocean view room with a request for a 1 king bed. Please note that on certain booking engines we offer specific room types that are confirmed and the bedding is based on request. We do try our best to deliver upon requests such as the bedding configuration, floor preference, near friends & family, and/or connecting rooms, and sometimes due to availabilty we are unable to provide it.

We do hope you decide to stay with us again (not just for your anniversary). Please be sure to contact our reservations manager and reserve with us directly if you have specific requests and we'll do our best to let you know if we can try to confirm so you know before you complete your reservation that you will get what you want.

Congratulations on your recent nuptuals and sure glad that you did enjoy your stay at the Beachcomber. Thank you.
Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights. We loved our time here. The location is great. We had breakfast and Lunch at the hotel which is very convenient when you want to stay at the beach and pool and not have to worry about where to eat. The food was very good too. Our room was very clean, we had a side view ocean room and you can see the ocean perfectly. The pool areas were kept very clean and neat. We wanted a relaxing few days and that is just what we got.

Room Tip: At least 3 floors up
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
954-941-7830, General Manager at Beachcomber Resort and Villas, responded to this review, April 20, 2011
All we can say is thank you for being our guest and submitting the positive review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and the facilities of the Beachcomber. Hope you come back soon!
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

We arrived on April 01. Great check in and great room on 8th floor, albeit tiny and old bathroom. Next day around noon power went out on the street, shutting off elevators and air conditioner at the hotel for nearly 24 hours. Had to walk up and down the 8 floors which was O.K. except that there was absolutely NO light in the stairways, not even emergency lighting. So we had to go up and down 8 flights several times during the day in absolutely pitch black, very scary and dangerous. At 11:00 PM all the lights also went out, phone, etc.. so we had to prepare for bed in absolute blackness and fumble our way around the room. If there had been some emergency, the phone did not work and we could not reach front desk. Nobody ever checked on the floors to make sure that everyone was O.K. and no apology from management. We thought that this would have served as a lesson on improving safety in the hotel in case of emergency but 2 days later we got a note under our door to say that power would be turned off again the next day as the City was finishing some repair work. Ah well, no need to worry I thought, this time the hotel is being forewarned. But to my absolute amazement, again on the day the power went out for the second time, still absolutely no emergency lighting in the stairways, and again we had to make our way down 8 flights of stairs in pitch darkness. So if you care about your safety in case of emergency, I would be cautious booking at the Beachcomber. Management never apologized or inquired about our comfort......... Next time we will check other hotels

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
954-941-7830, General Manager at Beachcomber Resort and Villas, responded to this review, April 13, 2011
In response to this review, we did have a serious power outage on Saturday April 2nd that effected the main hotel tower as well as no power for our lighting, telephone system, elevators, HVAC and laundry operation. What we though was going to be a brief outage, turned into a 16 & 1/2 hour fiasco. One of our 3 power transformers failed (which is FPL equipment not ours). The power outage was out of our control.

Our emergency lighting on the floors is battery operated and did last 4-5 hours before the batteries died. After the battery supported lighting no longer worked and as night fell, we did deploy hotel staff with flashlights and lanterns to assist guests up and down the stairwells and to their guest rooms. I was on scene from 5 PM until the power was restored at 4:30 AM and was in the lobby and behind the front desk explaining the situation to all of our guests (except when I was dealing with the service crews attempting to make the repair).

We offered our guests who had rooms in the main tower (who were effected by the power outage) the option to check out without being charged, or continue to stay with us on a complimentary basis (and not be charged for that night due to the inconvenience). We did explain the the problem was out of the hotel's control and did our best to apologize to as many guests as we could personally talk to (since the phone system was down).

On the following Tuesday, 4/5, the power company told us they had to complete a portion of the repair since part of what they did was temporary and what had to be done for safety reasons and that there would have to be another (short) power outage. They told us the day before and we did slip a letter under every door of the rooms that would be occupied during the outage in an attempt to warn our guests that the power was going to go out again. The power company did work with us and we "schedulued" the work from 12 Noon to 2 PM (which was the timeframe we were told we would be without power). We did suggest that our guests plan for the outage, that it could not be avoided, and of course did apologize for the inconvenience in the letter. We tried to pick the best time of day assuming most guests would be up and out enjoying the beach and our pool.

We sincerely did our best under the circumstances considering the situation was out of our control and we did not charge our guest effected the night of the inconvenience. Many of our guests were very understanding, appreciated the fact that we did not charge for the night of the problem, and took it in stride.

I would like to personally apologize to this reviewer for the problems they encountered and am sincerely sorry that I did not have the chance to express this to them before their departure.
wayne pa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

This hotel is in an ideal location- right on the beach; and for us it was also perfect because it sits right next door to my in-laws condo. We stayed in an oceanfront suite which was adequate and clean but nothing more. We had a private balcony overlooking the ocean which was very nice with two plastic chairs, small table and two cushioned lounge chairs- easily fitting me, my husband and our two young children. The suite seemed to be recently remodeled but not completely updated since the living room had a wide screen tv and the bedroom had a much older set. The decor was also a mix. The bedroom was carpeted while the rest of the suite was tiled leaving the place feeling a bit cold; adding to the cold feeling was the fact that the windows had venetian blinds and no drapes. We weren't in the room that much and only used the kitchen to make coffee, first machine was broken and quickly replaced with another that was tested to ensure it worked before it was brought to our room, which I appreciated. Kitchen area was fine with frig. micro, and sink. The bathroom was also fine but grout they used for the floor made it look dirty and tub needed to be regrouted in places. We did have problems with the maid service though. When we arrived there were towels for all four of us, than the second day we were down to three towels and the third day we had none at 4:30 when we arrived back to take showers. I'd seen the housekeeping cart downstairs but could find noone to help me nor any towels so I went to the front desk where I was told that I should not have looked for a maid but instead called the front desk from my room. I didn't like her tone and told her as much. Since we were in a rush, I grabbed some towels from the swimming pool area so we could shower and be on time for our dinner reservations. Soonafter, a manager appeared at our door with towels from the pool explaining that a power outage had caused a laundry back up. (Maybe the front desk clerk should have told me that rather than instructing me on when to use the phone.) Also, housekeeping should have been directed by management to use the pool towels in lieu of the bath towels so guests weren't inconvenienced. My husband and son slept on the pull out couch in the living room. They said it was comfortable but the blanket was from the 70's, one of those thin spongy types in a burnt orange color. I wanted to call and get it changed out but my husband said not to bother- if I was sleeping there it would have needed to be changed! The grounds of the hotel are very nice although a bit dirty; walkways, stairways and hallways were not swept. The two pools looked nice with ample chairs for sunbathing. I was concerned at night about the noise around the pool since are room was directly above but at 11pm every night people seemed to disperse. I don't know if it was of their own volition or from prompting by hotel staff. We didn't use the pools or beach at the hotel since we spent most of the time with my in-laws at their condo pool and beach but everything looked nice. One feature I did enjoy was the tiki bar which really added to the amibance of the place and Steve, the bartender, was everything everyone has written about him on this site. In fact, he must have a reputation throughout Pompano and Ft. Lauderdale based on my conversations with patrons at the bar who were there on recommendations from their hotels! The hotel restuarant was exactly how everyone described it- SLOW. So we made sure to leave extra time for breakfast the first morning. The eggs benedict was very good. However, because of the power outage the hotel served only a continental breakfast the rest of our stay so we ate across the street at Stingers which also had a good breakfast and they were alot faster! There is not much in the walkable area so you will need a car for any real shopping, dining or nightlife but it was perfect to just hang out and be with family. We will return again to the hotel solely because of its location, although I heard other guests say they return yearly.

Room Tip: Oceanfront suite was large, quiet and private
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
We appreicate the time you took to offer your impressions of your recent stay at the Beachcomber and have noted both the positives and negatives of your experience and will apply them constructively.

For what it's worth, we were operating under rather adverse conditions the weekend of your stay (based on some assuptions I made from your review). On Saturday, April 2nd at approximately 1:30 PM the hotel lost power to the main tower building that houses the majority of our room inventory, elevators, laundry operation, and HVAC cooling towers. Florida Power & Light had work crews working on the issue and had to address the outage by using the process of elimination until it was determined that one of the three power transformers had failed and needed to be replaced. It was not until 4:30 AM that power was restored.

I want to apologize if you percieved a "tone" you did not appreciate when you called our front desk regarding your towel situation, but the staff was under abnormal duress brought on by the stress of the power outage. You were luckier than the majority of our guests located in the main tower as they were most adversley effected by the lack of electricity.

Luckily we got through the problem, but it was a rough 16 and a half hours and not the way we normally operated. Good news was the problem was resolved and we were almost fully operational by Sunday morning. Hope this explains things a little.

Thanks for being our guest, we appreciate your business and feedback and look forward to having you with us again soon. Oh, and by the way thanks for the nice comment about our Tiki bartender Steve; the Tiki bar was on another circuit and never lost power.
New York, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

I had stayed at this property for 1-night with my mother-in-law [74-years old] and 6-years old son. We had arrived here late @ 11PM on Wednesday 3/23/2011 due to a bad flight and when I met the front desk I asked for a late checkout. The woman there gave me a dirty look when I asked for this and then proceeded to tell me I'll have to arrange it with the front desk manager in the AM. I speak with manager in the AM, Brian who also treated me like I was some kind of second class citizen and simply told me he couldn't accommodate for later than 12 PM. The property itself is shabby and access to the beach required that we step on some cinder blocks to get on the beach. Then when I checked out I had a plate of risotto primavera in a container that the bell boy placed on top of our things. At some point he managed to drop it down on the floor and neither he nor the manager took the initiative to offer me replacement. All in all the worst experience I have ever had in a property that is purported to be 3.5 stars which in my book now is more like 0 stars. The reason I am so incensed is like I said I had my mother-in-law with me and my 6-year old son and the manager Brian there should have been more accommodating especially since we arrived so late. Hospitality seems to be a Martian word and judging from some of the reviews from other guests this place NEEDS TO CHANGE MANAGEMENT!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
We certain respect the opinion of this guest and apologize if they did not feel as though they were treated properly. With all due respect, our check in and check out times are clearly conveyed on all travel web sites and on a sign at our front desk. We did run high occupancy for the entire month of March and in order to have our rooms ready at our promised check in time (3 PM) for new arrivals, we do expect our guests who are due to depart by our stated check out time (11 AM) to comply. As a courtesy, depending on the number of arrivals that day, we will offer an extra hour until 12 Noon. Our goal is to have every room on arrival ready by 3 PM since this is our stated arrival time and when guest do expect to check in. It is the guests prerogative to check in later in the evening (past check in time) and that should have no bearing on what time they check out; our business model is based on renting hotel rooms and is no different than any typical hotel rental cycle. We do offer half day rates at half the room rates on days we do not anticipate a full house (as long as that room is not on arrival), some people take that option or accept the 1 hour courtesy extension.

Please note Brian is one of our senior Front Desk Agents, not the manager. Brian has been with us some time now, has a lot of hospitality experience (on this planet), and does recieve many positive guest comments for going above and beyond. I did share this specific review with him and he did explain that he was very respectful and did his best to please this guest, but knew the hotel did have a high amount of new arrivals and did try to explain this but knew this guest was not pleased he could not extend her check out time past noon.

Sometimes when we cannot give an answer that a guest wants to hear, such as not being able to accommodate a special request such as extending their check out time, no matter how nicely we say no, we are percieved as being rude. We pride ourselves on providing top notch guest service to our guests and fellow Earthlings and sincerely apologize if this guest felt otherwise. We realize that perception may be reality depending on your perspective.

Been to Beachcomber Resort and Villas? Share your experiences!