“We had fun.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Sea Gardens

You added Wyndham Sea Gardens to your Saves list
Wyndham Sea Gardens
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   615 North Ocean Blvd, Pompano Beach, FL 33062 (Formerly Fairfield Sea Gardens Beach and Tennis Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #15 of 36 Hotels in Pompano Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bluff City, Tennessee
“We had fun.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I traveled with my wife, my daughter (15), and my two grown sons (22 and 25) met us there. We stayed in a 2 bedroom deluxe room. The room was very clean and very well equipped with everything we needed during our 7 night stay.
The pluses to this property was first the location. It is located about a mile from the pier. There are restaurants all around. There is a Publics groceries 5 minutes away. There were several Walmarts less than 10 minutes away. The pier in Lauderdale has several ocean side shops and restaurants, and it is only a short 10 minute drive down Ocean Blvd.
The Ocean was a short walk across Ocean Blvd from our room. The resort has very reasonable chair rentals on the beach. The resort has three pools. They also have activities going on throughout the day every day like arts and crafts and wine tasting, and I don't believer there was a charge to guests. The main pool located in the middle of the resort has an area with about 4 gas grills that you can use. Right next to that area are tables and chairs with a tiki bar that serves sodas and drinks. The staff was very courteous and helpful throughout our stay. Our room had a washer and dryer but when you needed fresh bath towels or beach towels you only need to call the front desk and they will have them sent to your room anytime you requested. The room itself was nice with a very large king size bed in the master bedroom and two double beds in the second room. Our room was at the back of the tower (8th floor) but we had a beautiful view of the intracoastal waterway. I have read a couple of reviews that stated that there weren't enough chairs in the living space but we had no problem with seating. There were four chairs at the dinning table and two of almost identical chairs at the bar off from the kitchen. There was also a sleeper sofa and another (pretty uncomfortable) chair in the open living space. And there were two chairs out on the balcony that we occasionally brought inside. There were two bathrooms, one with a shower tub combo and there was a walk in shower with a separate whirlpool tube in the master bedroom. The low water pressure in the shower took a little getting use to but that is a minor inconvenience. There was also a parking garage in the building that we stayed in that was very convenient.
The only negatives that I can think of was that some of the common areas (elevators and the area when you exit the elevator) needed to be cleaned more often and with better detail. The stove and oven were very dated. We did get the timeshare pitch right from the very beginning. After you check in they send you directly to this guest services person across the room that gives you information about Wyndham's properties and promptly signs you up for a "free breakfast or lunch" with a free gift if you attend. I signed up initially but later called to cancel because we have a timeshare already and in most cases you lose money with those things. Our guess services rep was disappointed but didn't push us to go form that point on. Point and case... My brother stayed at the timeshare property that we inherited from our parents the same time we were there, and he payed more than we did for the week and we stayed in a nicer facility with more space and amenities.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Oldsmar, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We excahnged our time share for this property back mid May. I had told them I was Handicap, and needed such accomodations and was asured I would have no problem

There where 4 of us and where sent to a room what was terrible, need i say, the bathroom facilites where not for handicap anyone. Don't want to go into details.

We where moved 3 different times, before I just got tired and took the room, in a different Wyndam in the back of Sea Gardens, the view was beautiful, the 2 bedroom was good, we hada balconey, but only 2 chairs, 4 people, men stand.

Then of course came the pitch for a time share purchase with breakfast, two of us went and given the price, I almost fainted. Don't bother if your a time chare owner.

The staff where nice, but raced through all the information, love highly pitched products, go here, if not stay away.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We arrived to the Wyndham Sea Garden thinking we were in a 2 bedroom (with 1 king/queen bed, and 2 double/full beds) and ocean front. We arrive to what seems to be one of the smallest places around. Definitely isn't a high rise, nice place, like you recognize most Wyndhams by. We go to check-in only to find out the only thing on the ocean is studio rooms. Unhappy, we continue to our room which is a 3 story hole in the wall on the side of the street. (The "Key West" Tower) The tower reeked of moth balls, and upon walking to our room I truly couldn't believe this was actually a Wyndham. The super 8 down the road looked better than this. When we got in the room we found the 2nd bedroom contained twin beds, which were not supposed to be in any of the rooms on the property anyway. The pool was smaller than a Super 8 pool. After going straight to the front desk to complain and completely wanting to leave...they arranged it where we stayed that night in that tower, and moved to the back/new tower at the back of the resort. That tower is supposed to have an ocean view, however, there is about 5 buildings in front of the tower and it sits back pretty far, so there isn't much of a view anyway. The back of the tower faces the intercostal waterway. It isn't a bad view, but after we drove 13 hours to the the beach to what we thought was an oceanfront nice resort, we still aren't too happy. We went down the street to a breakfast at the Wyndham Royal Vista, and it was a shame. That resort was like all the other wyndhams. It was a nice, luxurious place, that didn't have a stench, was ocean front, had a nice pool, and nice overall area. I still am in amazement that the Sea Garden is actually a Wyndham property. It must be the most outdated, rip-off of a resort that Wyndham has available. Needless to say we have stayed at many Wyndham resorts, and we will mark this one as one never to return to. Also, there is Nothing really close by to this resort. We drove to Fort Lauderdale for almost everything anyway, which isn't all that far away, but we are used to having at least a few things close by. In summary, if you are looking for a nice, oceanfront resort, book somewhere other than the Wyndham Sea Garden! Also, the other pools and the nice tiki looking place shown in the website pics, isn't like it is shown!

New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

My friend has a Wyndham timeshare so we ended up here for the week with three kids under 4. Our room was nice - it was up-to-date, large and nicely furnished. The kitchen was functional and had all of the necessary equipment. We stayed in a two bedroom suite and had a balcony overlooking the hotel property. The property is nicely laid out with plants and a tiny waterfall. The pool near our building was nice although since it was shaded in the afternoon, it was sometimes a little cold for our liking. The main pool by the tiki bar was better for socializing as there were always other kids around. The main lobby area and activity center were sufficient. My daughter loved it as we did some of the activities they offer (stuffing a plush stingray and princess for a day both for a small charge). To get to the beach you have to cross the street, but that was not problematic for us. The pool closest to the beach was big and sunny. I'm not the biggest beach fan in general so I found the sand to be very coarse and lots of seaweed around, but we spent time there and I'm still cleaning up the sand that we accidentally brought home. The drawback for this property is that there really isn't much around. We vacationed without a car and while workable, it was a little tough. We walked/strollered probably half a mile to a restaurant down the street in another hotel that was really good (something like Lighthouse Cove Hotel). I took a cab to Publix to get some groceries. It took 3 minutes and $7 to get there and 20 minutes and $15 to get back. Necessary in my mind due to having kids, no car and not many eating options. We took a bus to the Galleria mall and a lovely little boutique across the street (Lilacs and something). The bus ride cost $1.75 a person and took maybe 20 minutes plus a 10 minute walk over a bridge. I enjoyed the trip, I'm glad we went, and would consider this property again in the future.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Ocean building all the way at the back above the parking garage. It appears to be...
Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Wyndham Sea Gardens is a nice place to go to if the only thing you have in mind is relaxing next to the pool or at the beach. There are four pools at the resort and the majority of the resort is directly across the street from the ocean. The beach and all pools are easily accessible from all units.

Good things: spacious units with full kitchens and a wahser and dryer in the tower at the back of the resort, beautiful gardens with tons of palm trees and tropical plants to enjoy on your short walk to the beach, a tiki bar with great drinks every day, friendly people, plenty of parking in the garage, quick response time from maintenance, and a huge shower in the master bathroom

Negative things: 45 minute wait when checking in, the unit could have been cleaner, not many restaurants or bars within walking distance, and a fitness room which is lacking on many levels

Room Tip: If you don't mind being a short walk from the beach, ask for a two bedroom in the Ocean Palms bu...
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We vacationed at the Wyndham Sea Gardens Resort in June. I'll give you the lowdown. I have to admit that when we first arrived I wasn't impressed with the "front desk" area. Very clean, very helpful staff, but it almost appeared to be the front desk of a motel. Please don't let that scare you off.

We were told we had a very nice room in the Palm Building (I'm not exactly sure of the building name, but the word Palm was in it.) We were told where to park and about the amenities of the resort.

On the map they gave us, it appeared as though our building was far from the beach. This was a concern as we are use to being steps away from the beach. The clerk assured us we were not far.

When we entered the 2-bedroom deluxe room (562) we were pleasantly surprised. It was very clean, well appointed and contemporary (some of the reviews we read scared me prior to our arrival because they said their rooms were outdated). The floors in the main living area were tiled which was nice because of the sand that gets deposited on the floor after a day at the beach. There was a large round dining table in the center of the opened floor plan, a kitchen with plenty of dishes, pots and pans, silverware, blender, toaster, microwave, dishwasher, etc. They also left a basket with coffee filters, coffee, pot holders, dish towels, etc. The only complaint I had, which really wasn't a big deal since we didn't do a lot of cooking while we were there, was that not all of the burners on the stove worked. I'm sure they've fixed this by now. The master suite was lovely, and most importantly, the bed was very comfortable. The linens on the bed were also very, very nice. The same with the other bedroom. The master had a King bed, the second bedroom had 2 doubles. In the master there was an in-room whirlpool bath, double sinks, and a separate room with the shower and toilet. There was a Jack and Jill bathroom for the 2nd bedroom. If I had any complaint it would be that I wish there was 1 more chair or loveseat in the living room. We brought the chair from the master into the living room to accommodate everyone. There was also a sleeper sofa in the living room. The balcony overlooked the pool and did have an ocean view.

In the morning we headed down to the beach. We usually vacation in Ocean City, Maryland so we are in the habit of heading down early to get a decent spot on the beach. This isn't the case here. The hotel clerk was right. Although the building appears to be far from the beach it really is an easy walk and not far at all. It's a pleasant walk also. You'll walk through beautifully landscaped pathways, 2 pools, and a Tiki Bar. There is a main road to cross, but the minimal traffic stopped everytime a pedestrian was waiting to cross. Once at the beach we were pleasantly surprised at the width of the beach and the small amount of people. We rented chairs and an umbrella. The beach rental fellows are super sweet. They were a little slow getting things out in the morning, but when they saw us, they quickly got our things together. There are bathrooms near the beach that require you to use your room key. Very clean restrooms.

There is plenty of parking so that is something you don't need to worry about. I like to run early (@ 6:00), and the area was ideal for that. I felt very safe and not threatened or worried at all. My son and husband utilized the clay tennis courts every day as well. The pools were very clean and not at all over crowded. Again, we were so use to having to fight for chairs that this was a pleasant surprise.

They supply each unit with beach towels, bath towels, and will bring you as many as you want upon request.

Don't expect to find a beach shop on every corner, or nightclubs near the resort. There aren't any. About 1 mile down the road is an Irish Pub, Homemade Ice Cream shop and a few other things. Walgreens is also near those shops. There are a few Publix a short car drive away.

Food. We ate out every night. We didn't want any franchise restaurants and decided to use the internet to find our nightly eateries. We loved Mac's which is a sports bar, The Fish Shack which has the freshest fish in town. It is in a shady part of town, but is worth going to. It's owned by a husband and wife who are very nice. It is very clean and pretty inexpensive. We also went to an Italian restaurant that had REALLY good pizza it was called Zucarelli's. They had a whole menu which included many pasta dishes. We also went to a Mexican Restaurant which was also in a shady looking spot, but was very good. It was called something Ciento (sorry, I'm not so good with names)

We would definitely return to this area again. It's been so long since we were able to really relax on vacation. BTW they also have a sister property called The Royal Vista which we visited. This one is on the ocean and is very well appointed as well. I don't know how they compare cost-wise however.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

this can be an excellent place to stay for beaching it in Florida. My dtr and I spent a few hours looking for a spot post Disney World that would allow us beach time and day trip/touring to lower FLorida that we were hoping for with 2 bedroom suites. We too talked to staff before using the Tripadvisor online reservation searches. The online did not describe Which Rooms and amenities we got, just that there was One space left for the time we wanted. An email to the hotel went unanswered so we crossed our fingers and went. We got in too late to do any room switches (it was10pm) but the night manager left a message and we were able to resolve the problem to some degree in the morning. It did mean the loss of a relaxing "sleep in/recuperate" as we had to be out of our room by 10 or so in order to match their checkout/cleaning schedule (and they charge $35 per half hour for late checkout usually) and a grumpy dad/teens who had hoped to check in and crash/unpack leisurely.
We were given a Cabana room right next to the big pool, which for Party People might have been OK, but there was only one shower, a Jacuzzi at the foot of the bed in the larger bedroom(no toilet/sink, the second toilet was by itself near the entry) and the room air conditioners were ancient and ran all night. It was an awkward setup. Luckily the next morning the day manager was able to get us a suite in Key West, which was a handicap access suite, meaning more room to turn around generally and a HUGE shower/toilet room that could be closed off from the Jacuzzi/bedroom AND it had the small washer/dryer setup AND the second bedroom had its own bathroom/shower. And there was no upcharge.
the DOWNSIDE was that it smelled strongly of smoke and we bought scented candles to try and beat that. At that point though, given I was told it was the only available unit with 2 showers and washer/dryer for the dates we put up with it (your nose does forget after a bit, but I had to air out my suitcase and rewash the clothes when we got home after 5 nights there). Other than that, no surprises. We already knew that groceries/restaurants were more driving distance than not, given the heat/humidity, and had we been able to stay longer and rest more between day trips we probably would have taken advantage of the social calendar and pools.
We also missed some tourist info and discounts because the COncierge's role appeared to be more Club Sales/Timeshare salesperson and less of the Help with Local Activities and we weren't willing to schedule ANOTHER 'free lunch' seminar. (Been there, done that, its always longer than they say)

Room Tip: I hope talking to staff before you get there would help, not sure given some of the reviews, as part...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Wyndham Sea Gardens? Share your experiences!