“What a Find” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
florida
“What a Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

That is just a totally delightful experience... "The French Place - Belgian Bistro" is a find!
My husband and I wandered into an empty dining room, and I had to go look for someone to wait on us. A very nice young man, Andy, came out and welcomed us to a sort of shabby chic bistro. It's clean and charming, but definitely not "smart." Exactly like the special little bistros in France.
The menu is handwritten on a plastic covered board which Andy brought over to us. It has the day's specials. He also handed each of us a regular menu card.
I didn't really look at the menu card because the soups caught our attention immediately. My husband, of course, quickly ordered the onion soup gratinee. I chose the cream of muchroom soup.
We ordered wine by the glass while we waited. Naturally, a restaurant of this type takes some time to deliver. It's NOT a fast food emporium.
For our main course, he had chicken Madeira, and I had voulevant. He said his boneless chicken was exceptional!@ I can only attest that my voulevant was so light and airy (he makes his own puff pasty) and filled with pure happiness, I ate far, far more of the delicious dish than I should have.
But, back to the soups... My husband is a marvelous connoisseur of onion soup, and he swore it was better than any he's ever had outside Paris! The only comment I could make on my cream of mushroom was that I literally scraped my bowl. 6 different kinds of succulent mushrooms held together with a thick, flavor-drenched cream base.
I had a glass of Pinot Noir and he a glass of Merlot. Good table wines, neither memorable nor sharp. Just what you would expect.
If there's one complaint, it's only that all portions are exceptionally generous. Maybe next time I'll have either the soup OR the main course. Neither of us was able to consider dessert.
Now the really big news: Wines were $5 and $6. Soups were $5 and $8. Main courses were $8. each. Can you believe our bill was $40 plus tax and tip! Without the wine, it was only $29.
Everything there was homemade on premises and so fantastic we must go there on a regular basis (I'll leave my waistline at home.)
Just thought you should know we've all been missing a real find!

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Best food in Broward county”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Quality and freshness of the food, outstanding service and the chef comes to great you. Perfect parking. fun entertainment during week end.
Very affordable. Place to go and not to miss.

Visited January 2013
Surrey
“Mixed views from our party of four diners”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Authentic french restaurant. Good service. Fairly casual and not expensive. They offer several very reasonable fixed price three course menus with half dozen choices for most courses. We were four diners and had a mixed experience - half the party thought it was pretty good and the other half were not so impressed. Two of us had duck for example and one was good whilst the other was very undercooked and not very meaty. The vegetable side dishes were rather sparse.The carrot soup was overpowered with cream so you couldn't taste any carrot and the french onion soup very rich. However, may be this is just typical french cuisine and some of us liked it and some of us were not so keen.

Visited January 2013
“Great for lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

We went here for lunch based on tripadvisor reviews. It was a good choice, authentic French from decor to food. Food was great and the price was right. Restrooms leave something to be desired. This place is worth trying.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
florida
“Excellent French/Belgian Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I had lunch here today at this charming bistro in Pompano. The onion soup ($6) was one of the best I've ever tasted. The beef burgundy ($9) was excellent, very flavorful and accompanied by several different vegetables. My friend had the frogs legs ($30) which he said had a wonderful tomato sauce. The atmosphere is pleasant, the staff professional, and I would definitely return.

• Visited November 2012