“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Tampa
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at the Seahorse Motel while she was playing in a softball tournament in Davie and interviewing at FAU. It was a great place in between both locations and easily accessible. But the best part was that it was at the beach! Additionally, Darren and Phillip (the owners) were great. They made sure that we had everything that we needed and made us feel like we were at home. The place is older, built in the 50s but they have done a remarkable job making it a nice quiet oasis. I would much rather stay here than one of the large impersonal chain hotels. Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Pompano!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

63 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Haverhill, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I stayed at the Sea Horse Motel for a little over 2 weeks while looking for a place to live in Pompano Beach. It is truely home away from home. Everything you need is right there. There are 9 rooms to choose from everyone is decorated beautifully. The pool area is just a little piece of paradise. The owners Darren and Phillip are two of the nicest guys you will ever meet.I highly reccommend the Sea Horse Motel if you are staying in the Pompano beach area. Thanks again Darren and Phillip for a wonderful Stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I watched the owners, Darren and Phillip purchase this property, renovate it, bring it to the top choice among the other area properties all to my own personal pleasure. I stayed with them when they opened and have returned every season. The rooms are clean, comfortable and enjoyable and the owners are responsible for making sure that my stay has always been above satisfaction. Just recently, a top rated, flagged and branded hotel chain opened down the block, but I will always prefer to stay here.

Every time I return, the Sea Horse has something new to offer; great guests to exchange conversations with, room and property improvements, lush landscaping and decor and a sense of warmth and inviting comfort.

Room Tip: Let Darren and Phillip know if you cook a lot or just need a small space for a few groceries. The k...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Brighton, COlorado, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed at motel for 2 weeks straight. It is a quiet place with lush vegetation that gives you privacy from the street. The units are clean, comfortable and pretty. We had everything we needed. The unit had a full kitchen and closets for storage. The Beach is just a few yards away, very convenient and non-populated (and is baby turtles season). The owners are just lovely, friendly and accommodating with anything we needed. This will be our choice to stay from now on. Will I recommend it? YES. If you want a quiet place, but close enough to shopping, restaurants and fun.. Stay at the Sea Horse Motel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

If you want a clean, convenient little motel, right across the street from the ocean, within walking distance of all your immediate needs, this is the place. I was searching for a pet-friendly motel/hotel for myself and my french bulldog. The Sea Horse has one pet-friendly unit that's perfect! And the motel turned out to be even nicer than I expected. The pool is partially enclosed with shrubs and palm trees so you have a wonderful feeling of privacy. The owners are very friendly, very helpful, very down to earth.
Having travelled down to Pompano Beach from NYC for many years to visit my mother, I'm happy to see the positive changes in this neighborhood over the years, I'm thankful that this motel is within walking distance of my mom's condo. I'll definitely be returning! A big thank you to Derrin and Phillip!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Karlshamn, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

At first we thought we’d found the perfect place. We have been coming to Pompano Beach for 12 years and we know the town. Phil and Darren were nice, friendly hosts. But we soon experienced something we didn’t like at all in their attitude.
It is July 4 . A family of 6 kids (!) arrive to Seahorse Motel . The motel has 9 small apt, all the same size, onebedroom/kitchen. The family was loud and very noisy. Seemed like an “invasion” of the other guests’ privacy. The dad was drinking all the time, and was also in the pool with his clothes on.
What happens next is that they have also invited their relatives and friends to Seahorse Motel to celebrate These people were all in all about 20 people who invaded the place(Non paying guests!)
We, the guests who had paid and travelled half around the world to enjoy our vacation, could not breathe for all the “actvity” caused by the non payers. No space left in the pool, loud music , singing, drinking etc. We complained but in vain .
We moved out and have since then found a really nice place where the convenice of the paying guests is prioritated.
We will never go back to this hotel and do not recommend it.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
SeahorsePompano, Owner at Sea Horse Motel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
We are extremely appreciative of the business of all our guests, both repeat and new. It can be a difficult task to make everyone happy all the time, especially in an intimate space but we strive for balance and equity for all. We are especially cognizant of new guests, special needs, expectations, etc. and we deeply regret that you didn’t enjoy your stay at our motel.

That said, it’s unlikely we’ll be curtailing Independence Day celebrations on the property as you suggested we do, since it lasted just a few hours and was over by 10pm. We regret you couldn’t bring yourself to enjoy the food that was offered by the guests to whom you refer in this review. We certainly can’t fathom asking any guest to not participate in their Nation’s celebrations and we will also not be discriminating against families and children as suggested.

Concerning “invasion of privacy”… It’s usually our policy to not allow guests to hang undergarments and towels in the middle of the walkways causing other guests and ourselves to have to dodge them but we didn’t have the heart to confront your rube like behavior.

We apologize for the noise caused by the neighborhood lawn service about which you complained incessantly and over which we have no control. As for the drinking, be glad you weren’t charged for the wine glasses and place mats that were destroyed while being intoxicated on numerous occasions yourself.

We’re glad you’ve found new accommodations and we hope you’ll be happier there than with the last 12 places you complained about while here.

Phillip Gillespie & Darren Smith, owners of the Seahorse Motel
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Motels often provide a charming experience, with quirky idiosyncrasies; however when those issues revolve around attention to detail, cleanliness, and care for your customer things turnout to be delightful and pleasant.
The Sea Horse Resort Motel is everything good you'd want to find in a 8 room motel across the street from the beach. Here is what I liked a lot:
Super clean room and property.
Owners lived onsite and paid careful attention to details.
Power strips for your electronics.
Books for casual reading.
Nicely appointed rooms and kitchens.
Abundant personal touches.
I was provided with local activity information prior to my booking or arrival. And the owners followed up with me to make sure I found everything I originally sought was found.
Bedding and linens were very comfortable and of a very good quality.
And just to a little possible constructive feedback, I would say 2 of the 3 pillows on my King size bed could have been firmer for my optimal comfort. This minor comment was in no way a deal breaker for me. I'm sure if I even mentioned this to the owners they would have supplied me with pillows more to my desired firmness. Rereading this makes me feel like my comment is more of a compliment of how I felt this motel is run, versus a flaw in any aspect of this great little "resort" motel on Pompano Beach, emphasis on the resort aspect of this motel.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Sea Horse Motel? Share your experiences!