“Your search is over!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
New York
“Your search is over!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

If you want a clean, convenient little motel, right across the street from the ocean, within walking distance of all your immediate needs, this is the place. I was searching for a pet-friendly motel/hotel for myself and my french bulldog. The Sea Horse has one pet-friendly unit that's perfect! And the motel turned out to be even nicer than I expected. The pool is partially enclosed with shrubs and palm trees so you have a wonderful feeling of privacy. The owners are very friendly, very helpful, very down to earth.
Having travelled down to Pompano Beach from NYC for many years to visit my mother, I'm happy to see the positive changes in this neighborhood over the years, I'm thankful that this motel is within walking distance of my mom's condo. I'll definitely be returning! A big thank you to Derrin and Phillip!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

70 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Karlshamn, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

At first we thought we’d found the perfect place. We have been coming to Pompano Beach for 12 years and we know the town. Phil and Darren were nice, friendly hosts. But we soon experienced something we didn’t like at all in their attitude.
It is July 4 . A family of 6 kids (!) arrive to Seahorse Motel . The motel has 9 small apt, all the same size, onebedroom/kitchen. The family was loud and very noisy. Seemed like an “invasion” of the other guests’ privacy. The dad was drinking all the time, and was also in the pool with his clothes on.
What happens next is that they have also invited their relatives and friends to Seahorse Motel to celebrate These people were all in all about 20 people who invaded the place(Non paying guests!)
We, the guests who had paid and travelled half around the world to enjoy our vacation, could not breathe for all the “actvity” caused by the non payers. No space left in the pool, loud music , singing, drinking etc. We complained but in vain .
We moved out and have since then found a really nice place where the convenice of the paying guests is prioritated.
We will never go back to this hotel and do not recommend it.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
SeahorsePompano, Owner at Sea Horse Motel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
We are extremely appreciative of the business of all our guests, both repeat and new. It can be a difficult task to make everyone happy all the time, especially in an intimate space but we strive for balance and equity for all. We are especially cognizant of new guests, special needs, expectations, etc. and we deeply regret that you didn’t enjoy your stay at our motel.

That said, it’s unlikely we’ll be curtailing Independence Day celebrations on the property as you suggested we do, since it lasted just a few hours and was over by 10pm. We regret you couldn’t bring yourself to enjoy the food that was offered by the guests to whom you refer in this review. We certainly can’t fathom asking any guest to not participate in their Nation’s celebrations and we will also not be discriminating against families and children as suggested.

Concerning “invasion of privacy”… It’s usually our policy to not allow guests to hang undergarments and towels in the middle of the walkways causing other guests and ourselves to have to dodge them but we didn’t have the heart to confront your rube like behavior.

We apologize for the noise caused by the neighborhood lawn service about which you complained incessantly and over which we have no control. As for the drinking, be glad you weren’t charged for the wine glasses and place mats that were destroyed while being intoxicated on numerous occasions yourself.

We’re glad you’ve found new accommodations and we hope you’ll be happier there than with the last 12 places you complained about while here.

Phillip Gillespie & Darren Smith, owners of the Seahorse Motel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Motels often provide a charming experience, with quirky idiosyncrasies; however when those issues revolve around attention to detail, cleanliness, and care for your customer things turnout to be delightful and pleasant.
The Sea Horse Resort Motel is everything good you'd want to find in a 8 room motel across the street from the beach. Here is what I liked a lot:
Super clean room and property.
Owners lived onsite and paid careful attention to details.
Power strips for your electronics.
Books for casual reading.
Nicely appointed rooms and kitchens.
Abundant personal touches.
I was provided with local activity information prior to my booking or arrival. And the owners followed up with me to make sure I found everything I originally sought was found.
Bedding and linens were very comfortable and of a very good quality.
And just to a little possible constructive feedback, I would say 2 of the 3 pillows on my King size bed could have been firmer for my optimal comfort. This minor comment was in no way a deal breaker for me. I'm sure if I even mentioned this to the owners they would have supplied me with pillows more to my desired firmness. Rereading this makes me feel like my comment is more of a compliment of how I felt this motel is run, versus a flaw in any aspect of this great little "resort" motel on Pompano Beach, emphasis on the resort aspect of this motel.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I live on a budget. Some times are more budgeted then others. SO this trip the search included words like MOTEL. Generally when I travel especially vacations, I stay in hotels, resorts or spas - AKA: overpriced, the only thing included is the coffee in your room (ALL else is extra), the room's are never by the pool so if you need to go back to room, its generally about a 25 minute walk through a freezing lobby and elevator. therefore foreced to carry your cellphone if which you worry about getting wet.. Yes there is always a gym, but how many times have I used it?? maybe once..... Everything in the lobby is overpriced and I wind up spending north of $300 for a ONE-night stay. WHEREAS, here I got the comforts and conveniences that is worth much more. All rooms on the 1st floor and they all have kitchens!!! My door opened to the pool area so I literally can roll out of bed and be tanned by end of my coffee and paper. THe rooms are fantastic. Beautifully decorated, VERY CLEAN, and each one has a different look from a beach cottage, uptown city and separately downtown (artist) style. I loved each one. And get this... they offer a room for people who travel with pets. It is around side of the motel, so you privacy and area for your pet to enjoy his vacation and not worry about disturbing other guests. There is a food convenience store next door (steps away) and the beach across the the street. I was so comfortable, so pleased, I booked another stay for this summer. This is a real review, I hope people take advantage especially those budgeted and go see for yourselves. It is a GREAT stay.. listed as a Motel a true 5-star plus on Motel rating... Respectfully submitted, Jeannette K. NYC, NY

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

The bottom line in a review is would they go back. Let's get right to it - yes, we would most definitely go back. I would not look elsewhere.

It was so easy to relax here. All but 1 room open into the center courtyard which consists of a beautifully landscaped pool. Sitting outside, looking at the pool, was so calming. Going in the pool was also great! The beach is just across the street and was very peaceful this time of year.

We stayed in two lovely, clean and very comfortable rooms. My husband and I were in 1 large room that had a nice kitchen. My teen sons had their own very lovely room. The rooms were spotless and well-appointed. We all agreed that the Seahorse was the best place for our family.

The owners are in the right business - they are very customer-service oriented, warm and welcoming - like 2 friends you've known for years. Darren and Philip checked with us every day to make sure all was well. They also gave us great restaurant recommendations. We look forward to seeing them again!

Room Tip: Rooms 1-8 overlook the pool, courtyard. Check out each room on their website.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We, and another couple, stayed at the Sea Horse Motel from October 28 to November 1st 2012, after returning from a transatlantic cruise. We chose this motel based purely on TA reviews and from my first contact with Phillip, one of the owners, to check on rates and availability, I knew it was the right choice because by the time I got off the phone with Phillip I felt more like I was going to visit friends than just checking into a motel.
We arrived early on Sunday, Oct. 28th and were checked in by Darren, Phillip's partner. We were immediately impressed with both his friendliness and the motel grounds.. The love and care that Darren and Phillip had put into decorating the rooms and the grounds was obvious. Our rooms were spotless and charming, each with its own unique style, a king size bed and a fully stocked kitchenette. The pool was right outside our door. It was crystal clear and clean and surrounded by comfy lounge chairs and beautiful tropical plants. There was also a BBQ on the other side of the pool that we used to cook steaks and burgers at night. We spent many hours sitting out there socializing with our friends and others who were staying at the motel. Best yet, their was a beautiful white sandy beach only about 50 yards away!

Shortly after we had arrived we received a call from from another couple we had been traveling with advising us that because of Hurricane Sandy their flight to NY had been canceled and that they were stuck at the airport. After a quick conversation with Darren and Phillip they were able to make arrangements for our other friends to join us and stay until they could reschedule, which wasn't until the following Thursday. Now, this is what makes Darrin, Phillip and the Sea Horse Motel so special to us: Monday, the 29th we received a call from our daughter in NY advising us that we had lost our home and all our possessions to Sandy. Needless to say we were devastated but what was so amazing and comforting was Darrin and Phillips response. They offered us free and unlimited access to their computers, phones and whatever else we would need. They advised that they would make arrangements so that we could all also stay as long as needed. Their kindness and support was endless. By the time we were finally were able to fly home we felt like we were leaving old friends. We all hugged and promised to return sometime this year. This is a great place to stay. No, it's not a 5* hotel with all the pomp and frills but it is spotless and is the most warm and comfortable place we have ever stayed and we have stayed in many hotels over the past 25 yrs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a kitchenette.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Waterloo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Have discovered the place to stay in Pompano! Already planning to go back. It was just what we were looking for. The rooms were clean and charming. The owners were lovely and welcoming. The pool and yard were relaxing and wonderful to sit around and enjoy the weather. The ocean was mere steps away. Definitely recommend!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sea Horse Motel? Share your experiences!