“Average hotel with no room service” 3 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   1301 South Ocean Blvd, Pompano Beach, FL 33062   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Average hotel with no room service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Wyndham Santa Barbara is located in a quite part of Pompano Beach right across the street from the ocean. The area is very low-key, mellow and relaxing. The beach is clean, not crowded and does not have fist-pumping characters from South Beach. The area appears to attract mature couples and families.

The hotel itself is decent, but does not offer room service. If you want fresh towels or linens, they can be delivered to your room, but that's everything ends. Your room will not be cleaned! During our 5 night stay, room service would have made the difference between considering to stay here again in the future or not. Our stay at Wyndham was covered by the rewards programs and I hope I do not sound too bitter, but if I had to pay for it, there better be room service.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Dallas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I was given a room by the Wyndham Santa Barbara Staff when they knowing were aware there was a very bad odor in the room. How do you knowingly place someone in a room that doesn’t meet air quality standards? Plainly put bad customer service. I am a very well-travelled person who intentionally disregarded the several other hotel options and paid more with the Wyndham because I was confident the name would guarantee me a comfortable safe stay with my son. This was a special time for Mommy & Son to get away.
I booked a vacation pkg for my stay in Fort Lauderdale through my airline. Upon arrival there wasn’t any guest check in parking in the front of the hotel and the front desk staff was slower than normal but helpful. I notated details for my room request on my vacation package months in advance and upon check in reminded the concierge of my request. It appeared the request was disregarded or missed. Hmm. This was disappointing but nonetheless I was excited to begin my vacation with my son. Upon entry to the floor while exiting the elevator there was a strong potent odor. Once in the room there was an even stronger horrible smell. I advised the front desk manager. A housekeeping supervisor immediately came up. I initially thought it was pets or a wet dog or Bacteria. I was concerned as my 10 year old son with me has allergies & would have to breathe the heavy unsanitized air through the night. The housekeeping manager completely agreed with me about the odor & apologized -I believe her name was Mary, she was familiar with MY ROOM and commented that she tried to remove the smell earlier that day before my check in. She sprayed the room again with a deodorizer --curtains, bed and floor. The spray helped for about an hour a manager came by but shortly thereafter, to no avail the odor returned and was still present. Mary was passionate about her job but the situation wasn’t her fault at all. A maintenance man later brought a square medium size air filtering machine (noisy) for me to run through the night in hopes it would help. They BOTH indicated that someone burned something in a neighboring room & they couldn't get the smell out. They both showed me the vents where there was evidence of gel air freshener clips that were placed inside of it before my arrival to help with the smell, but nothing helped. For 2 nights of my stay they didn't have a room to move me. My PROBLEM WAS: Why would you put a guest in a room when you KNOWINGLY are aware of the intense ODOR? To their advantage they were fully booked. The smell was so bad I bought candles to try to eliminate the odor. I advised the manager of this. Mary did a superior job with the set up – the kitchen, floors, the bed and the tub, but the odor was relentless. Not what I envisioned my first night the horrific smell and then 3 people in & out of your room & the tele ringing! Vacation? They hurriedly were inquiring about my room but NO ACTION WAS given. We tried to stay out and venture Florida mostly to avoid the room as much as possible. The last 2 nights of my stay a room became available and we were finally moved. It was fresher!!! Upon check out I was encouraged to contact Wyndham’s corporate office & was provided a wrong number-perhaps a simple mistake. I found another # online and left a message. Weeks later without any return calls I followed up with Wyndham’s corporate office & was curtly advised by Brandon at 800-407-5200 to contact my airlines vacation planner. Why would my airline address a problem that occurred at a local hotel? Odd. Weeks had already passed and if I was given the proper direction in the beginning from Wyndham or received a returned call I would have contacted the airline first. I actually thought the hotel resort would be receptive to any concerns brought to their attention. After discussing my concern with my airline they were so kind & understanding. I wish I called them Day 1 upon check in. They also shared with me the written response from the hotel manager which surprised me as they lied about their accommodations that were offered to me. This particular property I encourage everyone to stay away from. The business practices for Wyndham Santa Barbara were unheard of and completely unethical. It’s unfortunate and inexcusable.

Room Tip: You are taking a chance booking here you don't know what you are getting until you get here. B...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ClubWyndham, CLUB WYNDHAM Social Media Team at Wyndham Santa Barbara, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear you had to spend even a minute of your vacation dealing with the odor issues in your unit. While management did their best to accomodate, we do understand this situation was an inconvenience. We sincerely appreciate the feedback and will be taking action to ensure that this is not an issue for future guests. Again, thanks for taking the time to reach out.
Port St John
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We have been to the Wyndham Santa Barbara three times now and each time we have had a beautiful clean room,and the Staff have treated us like we are family.This resort sits in between the Ocean and the Intercoastal waterway so you get to watch the Sun rise over the Ocean and Set over the Intercoastal.We are already planning our next trip.If you are looking for a quiet place to stay that is close to all the action then this is the resort for you.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top offer the best view of the Ocean and Intercoastal waterway
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
ClubWyndham, CLUB WYNDHAM Social Media Team at Wyndham Santa Barbara, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thank you for providing this feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your next visit!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Time share property,cross a1a and your right at the beach.no pressured sales at this location.that occurs across the street at a larger wyndam property which you have complete access to. Near all and as i said mellow. We just renavated our ny home and needed a real vacation.the staff is wonderful and the property immaculate.

• Stayed September 2013
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Our Labor Day vacation week was stress filled so we booked a 1 bedroom condo for a much-needed R&R weekend to recuperate from our vacation. Front desk and service personnel were all personable, professional and knowledgeable. Our accomodations were well-appointed and the ocean-blue color palette invited tranquility. A large LR/ DR area included a sleeper sofa with matching upholstered chairs, a flat-screen TV with the all-important directory of cable channels. Dining with friends was easily accomplished as there was a full kitchen with all contemporary appliances and dining furniture that sat 8. Bar stools were also available at the kitchen's breakfast bar. There was no restaurant on site, but no worries. A quick trip (a 7 minutes drive just across the Intracoastal onto Atlantic Boulevard ) to a newer Publix with a fabulous deli section of prepared entrees, salads, cheeses, desserts, wines, etc. provided carry out yummies. Great restaurants are abundant throughout South FL. Searched yelp.com on Wyndham's free internet to read reviews on many offerings listed in the Lobby-provided brochures. After a round of golf at the sister facility, Wyndham Palm Aire, we enjoyed a delectable lunch buffet at the nearby Isles Casino. One of our favorite indulgences was to walk across A-1-A to enjoy the ocean-front sunrise and then swim or walk before the temperatures rose. Our corner unit's wrap-around balcony was a perfect perch for watching boaters on the Intracoastal. Make certain you're on the 6th floor or higher on the pool side to enjoy the Intracoastal waterways. Rooms facing the front had better views of the ocean. Our unit had 2 full baths with showers. A Jacuzi tub was in the bedroom. The bedroom had a King-sized bed which offered soft and firm pillows and another flat screen TV. The space was large enough to also have a seating area- a perfect spot to read the activity-planning brochures and for quick power naps. We did not experience any air-conditioner or water pressure woes. It was the perfect stay to recuperate from our vacation. We will return...frequently.

Room Tip: Pool-side rooms that are on 6th floor or higher have the best views of Intracoastal boating traffic...
Mansfield Center
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed Sept 7-14 . We arrived early 1P.M for a early checkin. room not ready but was given a upgrade from studio to 1 bedroom . Room on 8th floor with outstanding view. Intercoastal and ocean view.The resort is smaller with alot of return customers. Staff very friendly, both front desk and concierge. Room huge with 2 bathrooms, 2 sofas, nicely decorated. comfy bed with multi, fluffy pillows, clean. alot of furniture, appliances looked new.If you want the beach you can walk across the st. to sister property Royal vista amd enjoy their ammenties.Pool ocean,jet skies, tiki bar etc.You can walk to Stingers or get delivery. Used 2 times during our stay.. Had Pizza ,Sandwiches. Outdoor Pool open till 10. Very quiet resort. Free computers (2) .We had a wraparound balcony. Nice place with a excellent location. We would return.

Room Tip: ask for a corner room High floor not on pool side
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Three of us stayed at this property from 09/09/2013 -09/13/2013 and two of us have sleep apnea. We found that the air conditioning is limited to a low of 69 degrees or 73 degrees is choice 2 for the high temp. Neither of these was what we needed. It was hot in the night when the temperature reached 69 and it shuts off. They gave us an override but this only makes the air blow all the time at 69 or higher. For 170.00 per night plus tax, I feel that I should be able to have the room temperature below 69 degrees when I sleep. The second priority seemed to be the water bill since one of the bathrooms had very low pressure in the shower. Slow drains where the shower water is up to your ankles after a brief shower was a daily occurance. The staff was nice and our stay was enjoyable but sleep was tough with the temp. restriction. Time shares are a thing of the past. You can buy them on ebay for 1$ to $500. since people who are paying large maintenance fees want to unload them. The point value is the big concern. How many points is your unit worth?

Room Tip: get an ocean view high up on the front.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Wyndham Santa Barbara? Share your experiences!