“Excellent!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto
“Excellent!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

We stayed at the Wyndham Santa Barbara for the first time for 3 nights in December 2011. We are fixed week owners at the sister property - Wyndah Sea Gardens, which we look forward to coming back to year after year in late January.
Our stay at the Santa Barbara was excellent. Extremely large 1 bedroom suite was more like an adjoining hotel room. Our adult kids stayed in the lilving room on a pull out couch. They had a full size washroom. The room contained a large dining room table, full kitchen, and a large balcony. The other very large room with an adjoining door, had its own exit door. It had a King bed, pull out couch, balcony, jacuzzi tub, and eficiency kitchen (this was was not equipped, but we never used it, given that we had a full size kitchen in the other room).
The air conditioning fan was a bit noisy, as had been noted, but it didn't bother us. We were on the 10th floor, with a gorgeous view of both the ocean and the intercoastal. Staff were friendly and very responsive to any requests. The property has a lovely pool area, with palm trees. Much more quiet than at the other Wyndham properties nearby.
Easy access to the beach across the street either through a roadway or through the Wyndham Royal Vista.
Would definitely return!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Loved our stay at Santa Barbara. From Check In to Check Out everything was lovely.

Firstly from reading reviews here I called ahead and asked for a corner room on an upper floor which I got (room 901) - this was beautiful - it gave you views of the Ocean & the Intercoastal Waterway. It really dosen't matter what room you get really as you either get a view of the ocean or view of the intercoastal waterway, its a win win whichever side you get.

I reserved a 1 bedroom unit for myself, hubby and 3 children and thier is more than enough space for all of us. The whole place was spotlessly clean, its like no-one had ever stayed their. This apartment can actually sleep 6. 2 in the sofa bed in the lounge, 2 in the sofa bed in the main bedrooom & 2 in the queen bed in the main bedroom. In the main bedroom thier is also a cute little mini kitchen which sink & cupboards, and also a door entrance if you really want to keep the rooms seperate.

Showers are wonderful, as was the jacuzzi bath. As with all Wyndhams, Kitchen was fully stocked with all the utensils you could need, we were thier for 4 days so stocked up on groceries. I would say you need a car to fully enjoy the area - although the beach is literally across the street. Thier is a bus stop that goes all away the street bringing you from Pompano Beach all the way up to Fort Lauderdale Beach where we picked up the 'Water Taxi' which gives a tour/great views of the Intercoastal Waterway.

The pool & hot tubs were nice. My children enjoyed playing table tennis, and pool in the activities area. They had various activites going on throughout the week but my children didn't participate. The pool is fairly small but decent enough size for everyone of have fun or take a dip.

No washer/dryer in the unit, but thier is a small wash room on every floor so you can still do your laundry if you really need to. Thier is a small charge of $1.50 each.

We walked over to the Royal Vista to check this out - really just looks about the same. It really is right on the beach - but it dosen't have a hot tub.

Anybody who doesn't know Santa Barbara is a timeshare resort so they will try to sell it. I did arrange an appointment but did not go in the end. Thier is internet access with printer in the activities room.

One very small annoyance was that they put funds on hold for a security deposit...I thought they just held on to the card details for incidentals - anyway I didn't realise this so gave them my holiday spending card and it took the funds. I had to call the reception after it didn't come back for a week, - they had to fax a document over to my bank so the funds could be released. Many thanks to 'Suzette' for that. As I am mentioning staff I will also mention 'Norman' who was always friendly & smily & although I didn't need any help during my stay I felt confident he would have gone out of his way to help. I can't say that of all the staff I encountered.

I loved my Stay here and would definetly stay here again when in Fort Lauderdale. This was the start to my 3 different Wyndham stays and they set the bar very high. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Marietta (Atlanta) Georgia USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

Loved everything about this place; even the view, though it was across the street from the beach, was pretty cool! Nice kitchen, everything you needed and two bedrooms, each with a nice flatscreen TV as well as one in the living area. No sign of a time-share sales pitch, nor of any bedbugs.....which can be checked for by ripping apart the sheets and looking under matresses/in crevices, etc. Spotless and modern, like new! Hope to be back soon!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better view from balconies.....
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Bolton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

Having booked this resort via RCI with no prior knowledge of it except Tripadvisor reviews we were not sure what to expect, however, we needn't have worried. The location is on the A1A, South Ocean Boulevard, which can be a busy road that needs to be crossed to get to the beach. However, on the plus side the resort backs onto the inland waterway and from our 9th floor unit we had fabulous, almost 360 degree, views across the waterways towards Fort Lauderdale and surrounding areas. The one bedroomed unit was huge with a full kitchen, 2 bathrooms and a jacuzzi bath in the bedroom. The bedroom had a king-sized bed and a sitting area with a settee. A large screen TV and clock radio completed the facilities in the bedroom. The living/kitchen area had a large screen TV with DVD player and sound system, a settee and two lounge chairs, a dining table and chairs. The kitchen had everything required but perhaps was a little tired looking with an old fashioned cooker. Even so all equipment was spotless and in excellent working order. Two large balconies complemented the unit. Cleanliness was excellent with no sign of the cockroaches and bed-bugs mentioned in other reviews. The resort had few facilities of it's own except for a small pool and pool bar but we had full use of the Wyndahm Royal Vista across the road. Wyndham have yacht, The Serenity, which gives cruises down the waterway (about $50 each). Staff were excellent in every way (a special mention to Norman on reception). Those seeking activity will probably be disappointed but if one is after a relaxing holiday in a friendly environment then this is a good place to be. Downsides?, well expect the usual timeshare sales pitch trying to get you to a 90 minute presentation on registering at the resort. A polite but firm "no thanks" seems to work.
A great week.

Room Tip: Pick a one-bedroomed unit, even if there are only two of you, and on the south west side. Fabulous...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Buffalo, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

We stayed here in November with some friends. Had a 2 bedroom suite on the 10th floor with a wrap around balcony. The room was clean and the views were spectactular. We arrived at around noon and the room was not ready, however the desk attendant assured us it would be worth the wait and she was right. We were able to get in around 3pm. We really didn't get a chance to check out the pool area, but it looked nice. Not a huge resort pool if that is what you are expecting. They also offered us the use of the beach at the Palm-Aire resort across the street. This facility is bascially a time share resort, and they will try to sell you one. We politely declined the presentation and there was no pressure to attend. Our short stay in this resort was enjoyable and we would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room on the ocean side - also check Expedia for pricing, we got a very good deal...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

I stayed here the night before my wedding Memorial Day weekend 2011. My sisters and I arrived late due to the rehearsal dinner. I was blown away by the ocean view and the view of the pool on the 9th/8th floor. Before going to bed my sister who was sleeping on the sleeper sofa started to complain about being bitten. After investigating and finding little bugs and taking pictures with my iPhone. I notified the security guard that was on duty as customer service had left for the night. He saw the bugs and agreed to move us to another room for the night. I could not sleep that night for fear of waking up and having little bites all over my skin on my wedding day. When I spoke to the front desk personnel, she claimed they checked the bed and didn't find anything. I told her the bed bugs were on the sleeper sofa and she acted as if I was lying. I'm sorry, but the last thing I want to do at 4 am the day of my wedding is switch rooms because I'm pretending to see bed bugs. I have pictures on my iPhone, but they just didn't come out well. They did not even apologize. Maybe I was too nice about it. Perhaps if I'd been a Bridezilla, things would've gone differently. I don't care what they may come on here and say, they had bed bugs on that sleeper sofa. It was definitely an aesthetically pleasing room with great views. If that's worth more than customer service and a goodnight's rest.

• Stayed May 2011
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

This is the first time we have stopped in a time share resort and were pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness and amenities in the studio appartment. we had e mailed the resort prior to our arrial and asked for a room that had a balconey that wouldget the sun most of the day and when we checked in they had put our request on file and we got a south facing room on the 8th floor-perfect!Norman was very freindly and helpful.
It was a very quiet week ( which we wanted)but i think families would struggle to entertain the little ones.you can also use the royal vista across the road and on the beach
Towels were plentiful both bathroom and beach.
he only bad thing we could say is that when we were getting our parking pass from the concierge she tried to get us to have an appointment for a" survey"-we realised that this was a time share meeting and politely refused as we already own a home in Kissimmee.She seemed quite annoyed with us and for the nest 3 days left messages in our room to try and and persuade us to reconsider.this meant we didnt feel we could ask her any other questions such as local restaurants etc.
Its a shame there is not a restaurant on site too but theres plenty in fort lauderdale.
we would definetly come aagin.

Room Tip: ask for a room high up on the south side
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Wyndham Santa Barbara? Share your experiences!