“As authentic as my Oma's cooking” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: North Federal Highway
Description: Situated off Atlantic Avenue, Checkers is a German styled restaurant with a Bavarian flair in Pompano Beach. We offer a large selection of authentic German beers and the best in German cuisine.
Coconut Creek, Florida
“As authentic as my Oma's cooking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Love this restaurant. Rachel and others behind the bar are great. Matt is always making sure the machine is well oiled. I try to make it before or after the rush because it is indeed packed. No way around it, it's in high demand. Especially in season - (If you don't want to wait, go to Fritz & Franz German restaurant a few miles away. - it's empty there for a reason.)
Love the selection of beer, the stuffed schnitzel, rouladen, and the pork shank. One of the best kept secrets in Pompano. Keep up the good work!

91% Recommend
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great hidden gem in Pompano Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Went here a week ago with the family for dinner. Placed a reservation for 8 people at 7'oclock. The place was packed but our table was ready by our reservation time. We each grabbed a liter of authentic German beer (drinking from a mini boot) and had some tremendous appetizers. They brought some bread and hot pretzels to the table and we devoured everything. I got the Veal Wienerschnitzel with 2 sides (Spaetzel, and cucumber salad). Everything was great as I cleared the plate. The 2lb lamb shank was enormous, as two people in the group got that entree. We finished the evening with a very tasty Homemade apple Strudel and Kelly's German Chocolate cake. I would definitely recommend going here for some authentic German cuisine, but make sure to make a reservation as this place fills up quickly.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Checkmate At Checkers.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I had always wanted to come in here, and I finally did with a gift certificate. If you have personal space issues; do not eat here. If you mind waiting for a table on a Saturday night; do not eat here. If you mind waiting with no place to sit and wait; do not eat here. All that being said; this is still a great place to eat. But I certainly learned my lesson not to go when it is crowded for weekend dinner time. I was quoted a 20 minute wait at 6:55 pm. They finally say me down at 7:58 pm. In all fairness; they did offer to let me sit at the bar; but it was too crowded for my comfort. The bad thing is that there is absolutely no place to wait, and you had to stand wherever you could. And when it came time to sit at your table; you have to have other people standing over you while waiting for your their tables. I suppose it's kind of like serving on a German U-boat. And for the last 20 minutes that I was waiting for a table; there were three that were vacant. I was told that they were reserved, but why can't the people that they were reserved for; just be sat at the next available table that became vacant upon their arrival? One thing that was nice is that when I couldn't find a place to park; the owner/manager, Matthew Moore; offered to come outside and direct me to a parking space when I called on the phone asking about where I could park. I declined his kind offer and found a parking space. Out of the seven people that were working there that night; none were Germans. I don't even think they were German ancestry. The two kitchen staff guys definitely were not. It kind of took the fun out of it. But the service was very friendly and professional, and the food was very good. They also seemed to have a nice selection of German beers. I would eat here again. Two rabbit ears up!!
(\ (\
( -.-)
o_(")(")

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
fort lauderdale
“Yavol x 5*”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

For myself not ever having the occassion to eat at a german restaurant, I was surprisingly amazed by the whole experience. We dined on the two lbs of slowly cooked (6 hrs) pork shank, stuffing, and red cabbage all washed down with an approximetely 32 oz german dark draft beer contained in a mug in the shape of a boot. Lastly, order the german chocolate cake and if there's any more room, the apple strudel. Five stars!!!!!

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Douglas, Massachusetts
“Checkers Old Munchen”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Only been here once but enjoyed it VERY MUCH. Great atmosphere, great food. Excellent personable service. Very much a small neighborhood experience. Will return many times.

Visited March 2014