“Good German beer selection” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: North Federal Highway
Description: Situated off Atlantic Avenue, Checkers is a German styled restaurant with a Bavarian flair in Pompano Beach. We offer a large selection of authentic German beers and the best in German cuisine.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
“Good German beer selection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Very good beer selection and knowledgable and friendly waitstaff. For the quality of the beer it was relatively inexpensive ($4.50 for German imports). Now....the food was good, however, I am not an expert on German food, and it's not even close to my favorite dish. I ordered some famous pork dish and it came out on a huge bone....very overwhelming, but it was good. No way I could finish the whole thing! It was a fun environment and good experience, we will definitely go back....if not for the food, the friendly waitstaff and beer.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

New York City, New York
“I love this place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

This was (about) my fourth or fifth visit here -- I try to come once whenever I'm in southern Florida for a few days. Plain and simple -- the food is decent, the service (on this occasion) was wonderful, and everyone had a fun time. The selection of German beers is as good as any you'll find in any German restaurant anywhere (actually, you don't get this selection in Germany, simply because most restaurants in Germany are aligned in some fashion with one of the major breweries).

I decided to forego the appetizers, although everyone seemed to like the potato pancakes they try to talk you into ordering. I ordered the schweinhaxe (roasted pork knuckle) and it was really very, very good. OK, they don't spit-roast it like they do in Germany, and the gravy they serve here really isn't anything to write home about. But the pork knuckle was wonderful and the red cabbage and spaetzle were perfect accompaniments.

Others in my party had the wiener schnitzel and the schweinebraten (roast pork slices) and everyone loved his / her meal. Not a single complaint at this table.

The waitress was a doll and actually was knowledgeable about the food choices (something difficult to find these days). I'll definitely come back!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Coconut Creek, Florida
“Looking for good German food?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Surprisingly on a busy street you can find some great German food. They have numerous draft beers and you can participate in a contest if you are up to it- they give you drafts and when you achieve your goal you get your own stein with your name on it that they put up on a shelf and you can use each time you come - but you had better be a serious beer drinker to make the goal! The staff is extremely friendly, and if you have ever had the pleasure of authentic German food you will feel right at home.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Great German Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I used to live in Germany and this food was very good. I had the potato cakes and then I had jaggerschnizel and my boyfriend had the platter. The meal was awesome. The waitress was very nice and came back several times to check on us. The bread was warm and very fresh, butter was at room temp, so you could spread it. We had to take food home and took home a piece of the German Chocolate Cake, she gave us a huge piece of it. I will go back. Very pleased.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Denver, CO
“Authentic & Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Loved this place! Prompt and friendly service. Food was amazing! As usual, too much food, but it was so good, I just kept eating and was so stuffed when I left that I thought I would pop. Quaint and unassuming...a gem!

Visited June 2013