“A Great Tasting German Valentine Day Dinner” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: North Federal Highway
Description: Situated off Atlantic Avenue, Checkers is a German styled restaurant with a Bavarian flair in Pompano Beach. We offer a large selection of authentic German beers and the best in German cuisine.
Florida
“A Great Tasting German Valentine Day Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed the Valentine Day special at Checkers($80.00 per couple - appetizer, soup, any entree, desert and a bottle of wine to take home). Upon being seated, the waiter brought the traditional bread basket with dark and white bread and butter with a sampling of a pretzel and mustard sauce. We both ordered german dark beers on draft. The appetizer was a hot potato pancake with apple sauce and sour cream. This was followed by a bowl of onion and apple soup (hot and with a toasted crouton and melted cheese). For the entree I chose the Bavarian sampler platter that contained two types of sausage and portions of sauerbraten and wiener schnitzel. My sides were red cabbage and a cucumber salad. My wife had a full portion of sauerbraten with mashed potatoes and red cabbage. The meat was so tender that she did not use a knife to cut the sauerbraten. Desert was either a portion of Black Forest Cake or apple strudel. We both opted for the Black Forest cake which was good. The special included a bottle of chocolate wine to take home. A truly sweet ending for a meal on a Valentines Day. We dine here occasionally and have always had attentive wait staff and good food at reasonable prices. Parking is limited in the back, but there is abundant parking surrounding the area and a half block walk after a hearty meal is a good ending to a great meal.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Tortola
“Very Pleasant Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I was very pleasantly surprised by my luncheon experience at Checkers Old Munchen restaurant. The setting was typical Bavarian and the food was very good. My Wienerschitzel was thin, cooked just right and very tasty, as were my accompanying German Potato Salad and Cucumber Salad. I would definitely eat there again the next time I am in Pompano Beach.

• Visited February 2013
AUBURN
“Good German food, &Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This restaurant opens for lunch & closes & 2, then reopens for dinner. We arrived just after 2! BUT, they accommodated us anyway! Then, didn't rush us through our meal! The staff at this restaurant are there because they like to service their customers good food! You don't find that too often. Presentation was very good, as was the food. The 4 of us all ordered different meals, & all were well presented & each tasted authentically German. A very good, filling dinner at a reasonable price. ( I hope the waitress's husband realizes how much we appreciated his wife's hospitality & service - he had to wait an extra hour for her).
Good spot, & good selection of bier.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Boca Raton, Florida
“real german,i can wait to go back!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

it is a cozy restaurant in pompano,bt its worth it,the sauerkraut is so fresh and ild,th wusrt are exquiste,the sweinbratten and weinershnitzel out ofthis world,you must try the potatoe salad,and dont forget to make a reervation other wise you will be waiting

NYC
“Enjoyable German Fare”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My third time here, and never disappointing. Very busy, popular and excellent service, very experienced wait staff; bar full too. The bread basked has delicious black bread and pretzel pieces with great mustard. We had the potatoe pancakes for app, very tasty. I had the Bavarian Platter - Bratwurst, Knockwurst, Wienerschnitzel (veal) & Schweinebraten (pork) with sauerkraut and spaetzel -all very very good German fare. I have one problem though (which I confirmed with the waitress) the wursts were DEEP FRIED - I guess because of the full house, I was suspicious when my well done ordered platter came out so fast. This was very disappointing, although good anyway. I do not believe wursts should ever be deep fried, never saw this before, the only flaw I saw there but I will go back and order something else - Many, many menu items are very alluring - I highly recommend - Small, and you should make reservations. Decorated with German steins and lively German music.

• 4 of 5 stars Food