“Nicest Residence Inn yet, AMAZING Spa!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn by Marriott Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront

Save Saved
You added Residence Inn by Marriott Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront to your Saves list
Residence Inn by Marriott Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1350 North Ocean Boulevard, Pompano Beach, FL 33062 (Formerly Ocean Sands Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 35 hotels in Pompano Beach
F. Lauderdale
“Nicest Residence Inn yet, AMAZING Spa!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

I love this hotel, great vibes, relatively new - everything you could ask for. This hotel does the Residence Inn name true justice, actually goes over the top! There are two pools, a nice eatery, spa, and business center in this hotel. You can expect to pay for valet but if your coming to just use the spa it's free! The rooms are modern and spacious and the staff is really friendly. The location is in a quiet part of town but just minutes from Downtown Ft Lauderdale and Las Olas Blvd / BeachPlace. The spa here is a true gem, beautiful ocean views, a great steam room and massage therapists. I highly reccomend!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

299 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

Marriott's are consistently clean and dependable as is this property. Nice spacious rooms, each room has a balcony with a view of the ocean. Not much around, just a quiet clean beach, which is what we were looking for. You need a car, restaurant on the property is limited, but hotels next door offer other options. Not much for teens to do, unless they love the beach. Pools are small, with guests reserving chairs at 7am with towels, and not actually using chairs til late afternoon. They need a better system for that, but overall a nice stay. For us, a nice base from which to venture off to visit family.

Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
dheinlein, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront, responded to this review, July 12, 2010
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel! We appreciate you choosing us and your feedback. We’re glad you enjoyed the beach while you were here and are also glad you mentioned guests reserving chairs at the pool in the morning and not using them until much later, we’re working on a way to improve the process. Thanks once again, hope to see you next year!
New England USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

This review is a developing story starting on June 26. My wife and I wanted to have a domestic, rather than Caribbean, vacation and landed in Miami; then drove 40 minutes to stay at the Marriott Residence Inn at Pompano Beach. Since I am a diver, they had a special “divers” price, and it was highly attractive. Now writing 3 full days after arriving, I wanted to share early observations. I have views of the diving and nearby restaurants at the bottom. As I reread this, you may think I was paid for this “advertising,” but in fact, they earned this review. So here we go!

The staff and location at the Marriott Residence Inn are GREAT. First the location, it is on the ocean, and all rooms have a view of the ocean. Obviously, if you paid more, you get a better view as you are closer to the ocean. Rooms over X08 (X being the floor #) have the better view since they are closer to the ocean, and are suites of two rooms or more. Rooms X10-X12 have primo views, separate bedrooms, and share features with the other rooms (X1-09) as follows: full refrigerator, clothes washer/dryer, stove, sink, dining area with views, pillow-top “Marriott” beds are firmer than normal, lots of towels, very large tub inside a large spaced bath, small shower and closets, and 40” flat panel TV’s, both in rooms and all over the resort. Free internet, maid service daily, and did I say great views also accompany the rooms!? The two fairly small pools handled the kids well and they had a kids camp going on while I went diving. Food was surprisingly well prepared, free breakfast of eggs, sausage, fruits, make your own waffles, yogurts, oatmeal and juices/coffee. Lunches are reasonably priced, and well prepared. Dinner’s menu was the same as the lunch menu with a few daily specials. They have a legitimate spa… a whole section of the 4th floor for both men and women. The spa also has a salon, for hair, pedicures, and other women-specific, reasonably priced services. As a male, I can only say I have traveled a lot, and this spa was a total surprise! It is a well appointed spa, not for the ultra rich, but it was one of the best pampered spas I have seen for this price range. There is a parking fee and the valet's are great. Some reviews complained of music, but that ended by 6p weekdays 9p weekends, and with your A/C fan going, it was muted significantly.

I want to mention that Melvern, Margo, Stephanie, Michelle, Estella, Rhonda and her brother Richard, and Cathy are some of the top notch staff that treated us so well. Bertha in the Spa is also a great masseuse, and Grace and Carretta were ever so helpful! Britt is always found walking around, remembering my first name, (as well as others above) and keeping the place clean! The staff here is SO friendly! And they all went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. Check in was easy and got the room we wanted. Fellow guests are intercontinental, as I watched the world cup on the many flat panel tv’s with Argentineans, Mexicans, Columbians, as well as Alabamans, Tennesseans, and Illinis families! The kids were fun to watch! The people from Buffalo enjoyed the stay as well. What was interesting was people from Tampa stayed here, since the wind and beach are far different. During the week, business people staying a long time were seen in ties early in the morning for a great breakfast that was included!

We found renting a car to be worth it, even considering the parking fee, as we traveled to restaurants. The Whale’s Rib (fish) & Flannigans (fish/Ribs), are just a few of the nearby favorites that are worth looking into. We also tried Old Florida Seafood House and Aruba Beach Cafe. Old FL was a “locals” restaurant for families, while the Aruba was an “action” locale with lots of ages, all single or couples, wanting fun. The ocean views at Aruba are awesome, and valet was $5, which I strongly suggest you pay. Our favorite Mexican food was Cielito Lindo, a “local” restaurant with great original Mexican food. We found ourselves having lunch at Flannigans for their $4.95 lunch specials, and dinners at the Whale’s Rib for great seafood. Houston’s is not far from the resort, and that has very high end and very expensive dining and IC waterway views. When we did not want to drive, we walked 100 yards south to US Steakhouse, and found reasonably priced specials and good cuts of meat. Their escargot is the best we found, and their double lobster special, if available, is awesome. If eating in, two Publix grocery stores nearby were also handy for filling the refrigerator and our stomachs with “treats.” There are several Walgreens and CVS’s in case you need those items as well.

I left off the diving until last for a reason. I had an awful experience with South Florida Diving Headquarters. When I booked in March, I studied the local diving spots using trip advisor and selected SFDH over others. What I learned from my first dive forced me to cancel my remaining five dives with them, and figure things out. I am writing on my 4th day of my vacation with only ONE 2-tank dive and it is because of SFDH, and it may be my last dive on this trip. I replaced the dives with two spa massages. I am alone on this bad experience because I was the only diver who did not bring my own equipment. Other divers on the boat are equally experienced divers, and enjoyed their dives. So it could be sour grapes from other points of view. All the other divers drove in from nearby or air freighted their tanks, weight belts, and gear and had their own equipment. I did not, and it was a disaster. I could write a litany of bad and unsafe behaviors on the captain and dive master, including being on cell phones through most of the dives; but to be honest, I am happy to be alive, unharmed, and can hug my wife and kids. During the dives, I was really scared. Not a good thing to say from an AOW, 26-year diving veteran who seen problems before! Anyway, SFHD uses long two-pontoon snorkel boats as dive boats, so their focus is doing a great job with snorkelers. Thus, they switch in and out for snorkel or diving. Their small dive-only boat for small diving groups is REALLY small. In the meantime, I did learn from local divers the dive sites in this area are great, mostly wrecks, and the coral reefs are in some places more colorful than the Caribbean. I would recommend diving here. I need to find a safer dive shop.

My journey, now that I am two days away from leaving, unearthed two local dive shops: Force E and Pompano, both on/or just off of Atlantic Ave near the inter-coastal waterway. Both shops are well stocked, knowledgeable staff, and equally priced with SFHD. Boats are different. The more “traditional” dive boat goes to Pompano and Force E as they stock their boats with all the needed equipment you may have or not bring! Both Force and Pompano are reasonably priced for renting tanks, filling your own, and adjusting their schedule for a group of divers. In both places, the stores were open, ready to sign me up for their next dive, and appreciated and not ignored by my entering the store. I decided to forgo diving this trip and just watch the remaining FIFA world cup games with a drink in hand. Thanks SFHD for ruining my dive trip, but making it a fun, spa & Soccer vacation; a first for me! Sorry for the attitude, if you, as a reader, are offended.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Arcadia, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

Enjoyed our week stay immensely. My daugther and I soaked up the sun on the beautiful beach and at the pool. The staff was very friendly. The breakfast was hot, tasty and filling. Room service was quick and friendly; and I recommend the Beach Burgar. The decor of the lobby matched perfectly with the rest of the hotel. Our suite was large and comfortable. The view of the ocean from our bacony and windows was spectacular. It was everything we expected and more. Kinda sad it came it came to an end.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

Enjoyed the stay . Beaches are gorgeous.Snorkling was great! Condo was clean and very well taken care of . Staff at resort were wonderful and were quick to respond.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

Top of the line in customer service. I have had the opportunity of staying in different hotels from 2 to 5 stars and never had received such a magnificent service. The staff at the front desk could not be best. They excelled in each category, no matter which shift. The same for the rest of the personnel. They were always paying attention to our needs. Yes, it is true that the hotel is old... but they made a nice renovation and our studio/suite was impecable. Going back for sure.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2010

Our stay was horrible - the hotel (although renovated) is old and not well maintained. Housekeeping does a very poor job - the room was very dirty - popcorn on the floor, etc. Hotel and food was expensive and a very poor value

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Residence Inn by Marriott Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Residence Inn by Marriott Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront

Address: 1350 North Ocean Boulevard, Pompano Beach, FL 33062 (Formerly Ocean Sands Resort & Spa)
Location: United States > Florida > Pompano Beach
Bar / Lounge Beach Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Kitchenette Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#2 Top resorts Hotel in Pompano Beach
#5 Family Hotel in Pompano Beach
#6 On the Beach Hotel in Pompano Beach
#7 Romantic Hotel in Pompano Beach
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Residence Inn by Marriott Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront 3.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Tingo, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere and Otel so you can book your Residence Inn by Marriott Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Residence Inn By Marriott Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront Hotel
Ocean Sands Hotel
Ocean Sands Resort Spa

If you own or manage Residence Inn by Marriott Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.