“Surprisingly good....” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Specialty Hotel   |   600 SW Third Street, Pompano Beach, FL 33060   |
California
“Surprisingly good....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2010

After reading several reviews, I was a little concerned about staying at this hotel. But it was one of the better values in the Ft. Lauderdale area. So I was quite surprised when we stayed here. Yes, there are religious indications everywhere in the hotel, but it had absolutely no affect on our stay here at this wonderful hotel. It's a 100% non-smoking hotel which is great because when booking via hotels.com or other booking sites, you cannot be guaranteed a non-smoking hotel. We normally don't drink in our hotel rooms anyway, so the non-drinking policy did not affect us either. The people at the front desk were very friendly.

This hotel was previously a facility for people recovering from cosmetic surgery, so that explains how the rooms and floors are laid out. The only incovenience was the small shower stalls that reminds me of the one I had when growing up. My wife and I are not overweight so it was not a big issue for us. The rooms are decorated nicely and it was a very quiet hotel. I loved the mattress as we both slept very well. I would recommend this hotel for people that don't want to overpay for a simple hotel stay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
ALICANTE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

If you enter Fort Lauderdale into the search engine as a location it is possible to find this hotel which is located a few miles away. Be advised not to enter Fort Lauderdale into the satnav when trying to locate the hotel as you will end up in an area best avoided.

The premises provide clean, comfortable and well maintained and appointed rooms.

However, be aware of the no smoking, no alcohol on the premises policy of this lodgings located at a Christian conference centre which accommodates large groups.
The 18 or so bedrooms in a "wing" are located like the petals of a flower around a open central socialising/internet area and, therefore, can cause disturbance late at night by people having conversations, etc. as the sound insulation between the central area and bedrooms is minimal. It would appear to me that individuals/couples are fitted into any spare bedrooms that are left when groups have been accommodated together and could be intimidated by the presence of a large group who know each other.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2010

When I first entered the lobby of the hotel it was very obvious this was not an ordinary hotel. Religious music was playing and many religious picture and quotes hung on the walls. I had to sign a form stating that I would not smoke or drink. The FORUM website just states that no smoking is allowed. I'm not a big drinker, but I was hoping to have a few drinks and watch the football finals. On Sunday night from 8-10 I think some sort of revival was going on because I could hear loud christain music blaring in my 5th floor room. If the Forum website stated it was this type of hotel, I would not have booked the room. I find that very deceitful and it affected my vacation greatly. On a somewhat positive note, the room was a decent and clean. This is note a 3 start hotel. I would rate it no more than 2 stars.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Ironwood, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

Never had stayed at a place like this. Be aware that they have a no drinking policy. When we first walked in, we were looked at like we certainly didn't belong there. There is no pool, the Breakfast was served in a dirty room and was awful. The rooms were dark and not the cleanest and the bathroom was the smallest that I have ever seen. There were religious pictures all around and it felt like a cultish atmosphere.

Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2009

The place is a christian conference center and it is very clear as you entewr the front door. At check in you have to sign a document that says that there is a penalty if you smoke or drink. A deposit of $50 refundable at check out is charged to your credit card in case of damage. As you go towards your room you find a security door which reminded me of a jail. The room is very simple and the bathroom is very small with only a sink with no vanity, a toilet and shower. Only soap is provided.
The breakfast is really basic with koolaid instead of juice.
Yes the price is cheap but so is the hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
kingmikey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2009

Price is great, rooms are big and clean (especially the suites, they're worth the extra few bucks) but no alcohol or smoking on site. This facility is also a Christian Conference Center so their will be subtle and obvious religious themes but it's no big deal and if it is a big deal you'll get over it.

Oh yeah...and free wireless internet!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

Yes this place is a bit weird. Not necessarily in a bad way, but not your average hotel. This was my first visit to the area and I had no idea where to stay really so I gave this a shot for one night.

The place is out of the way. There really isn't anything nearby. The beach is maybe about 10 minutes driving, but it felt like I was in the middle of nowhere - definitely need a vehicle if you stay here.

Now about the hotel itself - it's not really a hotel. It's like a conference center, Christian community gathering place that happens to offer rooms to the public. There's prayer available 24/7 and all sorts of Christian religious events. I didn't mind a whole lot but definitely not for everyone.

The rooms are good size and fairly clean, though quite a bit dated. Microwave and empty fridge are available. Shower stall was super tiny and I had to bump my elbows a few times while taking a shower, and I am by no means a large man. If someone larger were to take a shower in there it would definitely be somewhat cumbersome.

Wireless internet is advertised as free and available, however I could not connect. The signal was barely 1 bar anywhere I moved in the room and the front desk person (who also happens to be doing housekeeping during the late hours) couldn't help one bit. It's definitely not my network card as I have an excellent 'n' card that usually draws signals when most other laptops can't see anything. So if internet is important to you, make sure you take that into consideration.

My floor had a pool table, air hockey and some other random games in a common are in front of the rooms. It was a nice touch as you can kill some time goofing around.

Overall for the price it was nice, but had a few issues, that I am not sure I can live with again.

• Stayed November 2009

Been to The Forum? Share your experiences!