“Minimally adequate” 2 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Specialty Hotel   |   600 SW Third St, Pompano Beach, FL 33060   |
Orlando
“Minimally adequate”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Reserved 2 rooms Friday Feb 22 to Sat Feb 23. Rooms on the 3rd floor the first night were adequate but not very clean. In particular, the carpets and sofa were dirty and stained. The bathroom was ok in one room, but dirty in the other.

The second night, we had a room on the 5th floor. Upon entering the room, there was a strong musty odor, like mold or mildew. We went to the front desk to ask to switch to another room, but the clerk said the hotel was full. The attitude of the front desk clerk was about as far from "christian" as you can get. Would not recommend this at all.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

155 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Ok if nothing else available. It is clean. Beds in our room were poor - one very soft, and the other so soft it was bouncy. They need to be replaced. When we checked in there was no tv remote in room and one of the bedside lights was missing a light bulb. I had to go down to front desk to get remote, and we did not get bulb until next day. Without the bulb the room was quite dim. There is ample hot water in the sink if you run it for a while, but even after running the shower (which was not exactly a strong stream of water) the shower was barely lukewarm. We complained. It was slightly better the next day but not much. And, when we returned in the evening, we found that the person dealing with the water problem had left our door open. Luckily, nothing was taken. On the good side, there is one computer available for guest use so we could print out a boarding pass. There are no amenities other than soap, which was not even in our room when we arrived. We had to go down to front desk to get it. There is a weak hair dryer in the room. Ample towels including hand towel and bathmat. Located right next to I-95 but we did not hear traffic at all. A little tricky to find in the dark. You need to get off at Atlantic Ave going east. Turn right at Dixie Highway. Go two or three lights to SW3rd St. Then do not take the first left (road is very poorly lit) but keep going and you will see a sign for an office park at left side of road. Go in there. That is where the hotel is.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

If you're looking for a good place for children this is not the place. This is your basic room to sleep in and spend the day elsewhere.

Converted hospital into hotel rooms and seems to be associated with a religious mission of some sort.

Staff is friendly and accommodating and the rooms were very clean.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I am not exageratting by any means when I tell you that this is an OLD converted hospital... AND on top of that it is some sort of religious mission institution. I booked this supposed 3-star hotel for a business trip and literally had a panic attack upon entering the room (my heart seriously started racing and I was shaking.)

Upon checking in, I was presented with an agreement not to smoke or drink in or near the hotel- I don't smoke and was alone on a business trip so I had no intention of drinking, so I signed the agreement but found it very odd. I walked through the hallway upon exiting the elevator and it looked exactly like a 1980's hospital ward. I got to my room and it was evident that this was an old patient room. They had added a full-sized bed, a mini-fridge, and a tv and now it was supposed to be considered a hotel room. The bathroom was horrendous - sterile, ceramic, and tile - exactly what you would find in a 1980's hospital.

I immediately called the front desk and asked for a refund, they told me I had to contact the website I booked through. The website rep tried to help me, but when she spoke to the management they told her the billing person would have to make this decision and they would not give us an answer. I am not sure if they will end up refunding me, but I got the hell out of that place ASAP! I booked a 4-star hotel for just a few more dollars and thanked God for not having to stay there for the night. I was literally terrified of that place- it is beyond creepy and weird and as a young woman traveling alone on business I could not risk staying there. I meant to take pictures but I couldn't get out of there quick enough and forgot to take them in my haste!

STAY AWAY!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
West Grove
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have stayed here every time I come down to visit my elderly Aunt. I only stay 1 night. It is clean comfortable enough and everyone has been very pleasant. I would not recommend this for vacationers because this is a no frills place. It used to be a hospital and now it is a Christian Center. I like it for my purpose, it fits the bill for a good price. For utility it is fine, for vacations I expect more luxury.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Buffalo, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We got to the hotel, noticed it had a weird layout and seemed to be part of some sort of Christian conference center, and inside there were bible quotes all over the place. We had only planned on a one night night stay, so we decided to take our chances. We checked in and went to our room, which had two double beds, not the king bed that we reserved. I called the desk, and was told that you get what is available, so I went to the desk, was told the same thing until I pushed the issue, the they pulled someone else's resevation and wanted to switch our room with theirs (I assume they were hoping that the other people wouldn't care that they weren't getting a king bed), but by this time my wife and I were so aggravated we asked for a refund, upon which we were told that we had to contact Hotels.com since we booked through them. We called them and they called the hotel and were told that they tried to accomodate us, but we refused. Anyway, after a few calls to Hotels.com, the hotel has told them and us that they will not refund our money....mighty Christian of them in my opinion.

Room Tip: Do NOT go to this hotel, even a free room is not a good value!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Endicott, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Come on For 79.00 you get a clean room, and gets you in the area you want. And the money is going to Catholic Charities. Give me a break. Bottom line if you were going on a vacation with kids, you would want more out of the hotel. Pools, etc. But like us, we were only there to sleep. It was fine.Close to 95, 2 exits from Pompeno,close to beach. Got off the cruise ship and got to stay closer to friends for a great price. Will use it again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Forum? Share your experiences!