“Weird and Creepy” 1 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Specialty Hotel   |   600 SW Third St, Pompano Beach, FL 33060   |
Sacramento, California
“Weird and Creepy”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

First of all, this hotel is run by a religious organization. There is a no alcohol policy which I have never encountered before.

The hotel is an old converted hospital and you can definitely tell. Be careful because the room doors don't always lock when you close them (you have to lock the actual door knob). The rooms are sterile feeling and dirty. We seriously contemplated checking out and going to a different hotel and probably would have if it weren't so late.

Hotel staff is rude and not friendly. Overall, the hotel has a creepy vibe and I would not recommned staying here.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

127 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

We were looking for cheap accommodation prior to going on our cruise in April 2012. I reviewed several sites prior to booking so was aware it was a no smoking, no alcohol, ex hospital converted to a hotel. The hotel was clean with big rooms, free WiFi and printing available. The staff were very helpful, our guy was dressed in a suit. For breakfast there was bagels, cereal, juice tea and coffee and fruit. Rooms had a small fridge and a microwave in them and a laundry was available. I can see how Lauren gets her comments it is very clinical and dark, my wife felt similar but having a man with her kept her fears at bay, the room at breakfast needs some music. There is other medical centers, child care, offices and churches at this site. For value for money it ticked our box and we returned after the cruise for two more nights. Yes it did feel different but we would return again. Reviews will vary depending on peoples backgrounds and expectations at the time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing towards the beach as the views are better.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

First off, this place needs to openly admit online that they are a converted hospital. This hotel looks nice from the outside but it's in the ghetto. The front desk has to let you in at night and when you're walking down the halls there it's eerie. I went with my best friend because we were just booking something to sleep at last minute for a few hours before we went on our last minute cruise the next morning. We had drove all evening from Jacksonville, Florida to this hotel. We were both frightened upon coming to this hotel. There are hospital corridors, you have to press buttons for the doors in the halls to open. Not to mention there is such an eerie feel here. The lobby upstairs even looks like a hospital lobby. When we got to our room the windows are latched up just like a jail cell/ hospital/ insane asylum. The air was not fresh and smelled like a hospital. The showers had way too much pressure and would flood the bathroom upon showering and were the same lay out as a hospital bathroom; we were so frightened in our room we both slept an hour or two and slept with the lights and television on and we also showered with the doors open. It probably was just our girly imaginations but we felt like the place could've been haunted. Never again! The staff was okay and the other occupants we met, but the place in general was just spooky. A plus, breakfast was included so we had bagels and coffee and left for our cruise the next morning. (Our real date of travel was July 2010)

Room Tip: Spend more on another hotel!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Buford, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

Three days ago I saw this hotel and was excited it looked really great, but since my mom and I did not know where were going to be locations wise we just kept it in mind. We started searching for a hotel earlier this afternoon, and saw that it still had rooms available. I booked a room for the night through Hotels.com. When we got to the hotel the front desk gentleman couldn't help us. He went to ask his manager which we had to wait about 25 min for her just to make an appearance. Then she just told us they are overbooked and it’s the websites fault and that she's calling them right now, she was kind of rude it felt almost as if it was our fault, how was we to know they didn't have rooms? About an hour later she finally got to a point of she's moving us down the road to an extended stay. I checked on my phone about the reviews on the extended stays in the area, the one just had really bad reviews, in a bad area...ect. when I asked her if it’s this hotel she didn't answer me, I told her I saw the reviews online, and she said not to pay attention to them she has 'walked' many guests over to this place before and no one has ever complained, and that they were save there( we are two females alone). She gave me her card in case anything was wrong to contact her again. When we got to the hotel the front desk clerk didn't really know what was going on as if the lady from the forum did not explain well what happened. We went out for dinner when we got back there was a cop car parked in front of the building (not in a parking space, like if it was just a routine check-up or anything) there was also numerous 'dodgy' people hanging around. This hotel is a downgrade from the forum also about $40 cheaper she did not offer to refund the difference and acted as if she was doing us a big favor. When I called her to ask about the money difference and the down grade, she got very offensive and downright rude, she kept saying it’s not her problem, all I asked her was what steps to take. I then called hotels.com explained what happened and asked them from who can I claim the $40 I was helped by a gentleman, and transferred. The lady I ended up speaking to was very helpful, I explained to her that I don't feel safe in this area, plus I don't understand how we got downgrade and why the woman was so rude, she apologized then changed us to the Marriott hotel, even thou it’s across the street ( it has about a half mile 'drive-up' to the entrance) it has a safe parking area, and is a nicely up kept hotel, no cops in the parking area and no dodgy people. I'm thankful to hotels.com for the help, and really disappointing by the Forum, I was really excited for staying there. I'm just sad that they pride themselves as a Christian hotel but the manager's attitude was everything but Christian. It seems like she tried to benefit at our expense, on a situation that should not even have occurred.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Bangor, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I booked a room at this establishment online, without checking the reviews (my mistake).

The advertisement pictures DO NOT look like the room that we were given. The floors were filthy and the bathroom was small and very "hospital like".

All of the negative reviews are true and exact.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
kitimat
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012 via mobile

Its a ex-private hospital ,kinda weird but reasonably priced and very clean and secure.Cant ask for much more.My wife thought it was great.Has good breakfast in the morning,computers,exercise room,wouldn't hesitate to book it again for an overnighter.

• Stayed March 2012
Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional, Dominican Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

The location was a bit in the middle of nowhere so a car is needed.. I would say it was pretty clean.. a little dusty but I think its because they dont get heavy traffic... Ya know? Yes it was a religous hotel and had religious music in the lobby.. This is an ex hospital and although that seems scary it really wasnt.. I had a huge sense of peace when I was there.. Now my only complaint is that it the shower was clean but really really small.. So if you are bigger than an average person you will have issues... U can barely turn around in this shower and as a girl that wears a size 6 and I am 5'7 I could barely move.. Also the bathroom floor was very sticky.. but I think its from whatever product they use to clean that floor.. I saw 1 roach in the bathroom.. but never saw one again... All I can say is hey this is Florida its hard to get away from roaches no matter where you are.. There was plenty of parking and this hotel was very quiet.. They have religious services for several different religions on the premises on the first floor. If you dont want to participate you dont have to.. I really liked this hotel and would go back..You cant beat the price for what you got.. We were 15 min from Wilton Manors and Ft lauderdale was about 20min away South beach was about 30 min away.. All of it was easy access... As long as you have a GPS or mapquest you will be fine.. It was not a 5 star hotel but if you are on a budget and want a place thats clean and quaint this is the place.. It was surprising that it was decent for the small amount of $$ I paid.. Oh one last thing do not attempt to smoke or drink on the premises..(in the building) or you will be fined about 250 bucks.. Its not worth it just go outside and smoke..and drink at a bar if you want to.. Its really not a big deal and check out was simple and quick the staff was nice and courteous.. So I give them 2 thumbs up.. I plan on staying their again in about 2 weeks... (((((SMILE))))

Room Tip: The entire hotel was quiet so anywhere you choose will be fine.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Forum? Share your experiences!