“Can Overlook A Lot For the Price” 4 of 5 stars

You added The Forum to your Saves list
The Forum
3.0 of 5 Specialty Hotel   |   600 SW Third Street, Pompano Beach, FL 33060   |
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Can Overlook A Lot For the Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

We were trying to decide to stay the night before our cruise left and when we found this place for around fifty a night figured we might as well give it a try, even with the mixed reviews online. We were well informed and knew about the smoking and alcohol policy as well as the church affiliation. None of this bothered us and it wasn't a big deal when we checked in either. We didn't have much interaction with the staff, but they were fine when we did.

Yes, the place is a little odd, and yes the bathroom was clearly a hospital bathroom, but the room was large and comfortable and you can not beat the price. The free breakfast wasn't gourmet, but it was an easy start to the day and kept us going until we got to the cruise ship. The location seemed perfectly safe and there was even free Internet and printing available in the common area outside our room. An unexpected perk that was really helpful!

Would I want to stay a week here? No, but it was good place to stay for the night.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Coatesville, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

This was the worst hotel I've ever been. The people at the front desk were extremely rude and im not being dramatic here. Surprisingly to me, i found out it used to be a hospital. The bathroom was very small. The carpet was dirty. I booked online a couple of days in advance for a standard room with a king size bed. They instead gave me a twin size bed. How did I find out? It was until I went in the room. I could hear the guests next door talking loud in their room with the TV. They might have had a party going on that room. They only gave me one key to the room. The hallway smelled really bad. The minute I got n the room, I called front desk inquiring about the situation. The guy bluntly told me there's nothing else he could do for me even though they gave me something completely different for what I paid for. He told me I would have to deal with it. They have no good customer service whatsoever. It's a complete rip off and I'm advising everyone else to stay away from that hell hole.

I was supposed to stay there for 3 days when I made the reservation (from 1-6-13 to 1-9-13) I checked out right away and requested a refund. After a lot of discussions and arguments, they finally refunded me 2 out of those 3 days. I had to check in to another hotel nearby.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Pompano Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

FYI- only handicap accessable rooms have tubs- otherwise count on a very small shower with a non adjustable showerhead to half drown you while you are showering. Most of the staff was very rude- especially front desk. My room wasnt vacuumed and when I called down to ask about it, they were very rude and told me it was because they could not move our stuff off of the floor- even though we had made the pull-out beds and had everything cleaned off of the floor- minus the crumbs from an accidental chex mix spill. I asked if they could come after 10 to clean the room, they replied that they started at 9 am. Family members also stayed in the hotel. Their room was also not vacuumed, and it took most of the day to get a light bulb repaired in their bathroom when it went out.
We had people smoking and drinking in the room next to us (Christian based hotel and both are forbidden in the hotel).
The continental breakfast is by far the worst that I have had. Get there early or plan on eating jelly packets- or getting yelled at if one asks for something (as a lady from Europe tried communicating several times that she wanted a bagel and was yelled at "WE DONT HAVE BREAD!"- even though several people were eating it before- she just didnt want to get anymore out for the lady to eat).
We asked for towels one night- we received 4 hand towels and one bath towel for a family of 5. Family members asked for another roll of toilet paper- this was also a problem.
The hotel happens to be across the St. from a nice little neighborhood where you can see someone getting arrested daily... make sure you lock your cars and fill up down the st.
They will ONLY GIVE YOU ONE ROOM KEY- no matter what- if you leave and someone else in your party needs to get in the room, they have to hunt someone else down and wait for someone to let you on TO YOUR FLOOR FIRST, AND THEN YOUR ROOM.
There is no pool.
There are several hotels in the area that are worth checking into before this one.
We will not go back to this joint.

Room Tip: If you want a tub, you must ask for a handicap accessable room.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

This was nice place for an overnight. Room was large but dark. Front desk personal was very nice. There was a common area with kitchenette and a coin laundry room. If you are looking for a no frill reasonable place to stay in Fort Lauderdale area, this is a good place for it.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Deltona, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

We found this place online and so glad we did. It's a little strange at first because the property was once a hospital but they have done a great job renovating. Rooms were clean and tastefully decorated and the bathrooms are great for any one with a handicap. The staff was very helpful and friendly and if you're in the area don't hesitate to stay at this place. The only down side is they do not have a pool on the property.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
West Melbourne, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

Recently stayed during Thanksgiving holiday to visit family in area. We found it to be a clean, decent place to stay for 2 nights. Could tell it was a hospital once but didn't bother us in the least. Felt secure as key card was required to enter our room wing.

PROS: Quiet, room darkening shades, clean linens, plenty of towels, clean, nice room decor, continental breakfast included, close parking area, friendly staff

ROOM AMENITIES: A/C, microwave, ref, coffee maker, hairdryer, phone, tv, DVD player, clock radio.

CONS: No hot items on breakfast menu, no yogurt. A/C vents in room/bath were filthy/clogged, ceiling tile wet around vent and moldy. Bath has dated fixtures and decor but was clean.

Was surprised by some of the negative reviews I read about this hotel. It is no secret to be a former hospital. The Christian atmosphere was not offensive, or in our face and we are non-Christians. Lobby was attractive as were the rooms. Description and pictures are accurate. This is not a luxury hotel but it is certainly better than many, especially for the cost. Breakfast is adequate and is all that was needed to get us on our way knowing we would have lunch. This is not in a terrific area but we didn't feel it was unsavory or dangerous. It was a place to sleep, shower and was all we needed. Not for anyone wanting to spend time in their room or the area or those looking for 4 or 5 star luxury.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Evansville, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

This property was rated 3 stars on the website I booked it, but I would not even consider giving it this. The property is a former county hospital that has been converted into a hotel/christian center of some sort. If you are not super religious, I would not recommend staying here. The property still very clearly resembles a hospital. In my opinion, It should not be offered on regular travel websites as it seems to be catering to the organizations that are in the building with it.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Sea Horse Motel
#1 of 36 in Pompano Beach
5.0 of 5 stars 101 reviews
Sands Harbor Hotel and Marina Pompano Beach

Been to The Forum? Share your experiences!