“Treated like familly” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ebb Tide Oceanfront Resort in Pompano Beach, Florida

Save Saved
You added Ebb Tide Oceanfront Resort in Pompano Beach, Florida to your Saves list
Ebb Tide Oceanfront Resort in Pompano Beach, Florida
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   300 Briny Avenue, Pompano Beach, FL 33062   |
Special Price
BOOK DIRECT SAVE 15%
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Pompano Beach
“Treated like familly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

The owner Karen was just simply amazing tu us! We stayed at the ebb tide a couple times and got to know Karen quite well she even invited us to have dinner. It was like we wer family. Being so close to the beach was also great. If you are looking for something affordable and steps away from the beach then the ebb tide is perfect!

Stayed March 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We travelled to florida in November and once again stayed at the ebbtide! We have been staying there now since 2007.....it is a quiet family resort with great people and awesome surroundings! The rooms are clean..... The pool area is pristine and the beach is spectacular!! Karen the owner and her staff have treated us like family form day one! We enjoy the laid back feeling of the resort and enjoy the relaxation from our busy work and family schedules. I have already booked again for late feb and we are looking forward to going back to our home away from home!! See you guys in a bit!!

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms are the best as they are facing the ocean and close to the entrance to the beac...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

Great spot, right on the beach! The beds were comfy. The staff was super friendly. It was a great value for it's location. The views were amazing. The short walk to the beach. I would recommend this hotel for anyone traveling in the area.

• Stayed January 2013
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

This place has always been good to me. They gave me a great repeat business price on the rooms. We had great weather and lots of fun. Pompano Beach is growing each time I'm there. Love this place and Susan and Karen are great.

Room Tip: Just relax and enjoy the beach and your time there. Don't need many more activities to fill you...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Quebec
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Why stay in a High rise hotel when you get stay in this boutique hotel where every room door is within 50 feet of the sandy beach ? Friendly staff and owner , clean and well maintained. The kitchenette is well equiped. Don't bother to pay extra for an Ocean view room , you will spend the day on the beach or around the pool by your door step. We felt at home,

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

My wife and I have been to Pompano 6 times in the last 8 years so know the area fairly well. We had walked the beach many times and observed a number of smaller hotels. We also knew that Briny Ave was a pretty quite area. So when we noticed The Ebb Tide "Resort" had very high Trip Advisor rating we decided to stay a week around Thanksgiving. We also wanted to stay near a friend who has a condo a 5 minute walk away. They only arrived the last 2 days we were there.
The motel (it is not a "resort", although it is definately "oceanfront") has about 31 rooms. From our observation, the rooms were fairly large and resonably clean. The place is kind of "funky dated". Our room had a miss mash of furniture. The large two leaf dining room table with two chairs would fit better in my grandmothers home. The king sized bed was OK although my wife found it soft. There was a large closet but it was half occupied by an old chest of drawers. There was a large LCD TV. The bathroom was small and dated with not a lot of room for stuff. We were provided with lots of towels and pool towels.
There were several windows but none opened having seized up years ago. The widow covering were a mix of old vertical and horizontal plastic blinds. We had to fiddle with them for a long time to make sure one could not peak into the room at night. This made my wife uncomfortable. We did notice that some other rooms had more modern wooden horizontal blinds that seemed to do a better job. The air conditioner seemed to work OK but it was noisy and we turned it off at night. I wonder how it would do on a hot day. We had to leave our door open for a half hour in the morning to change the air. There was no screen door. The room had a slight musty smell.
The grounds were very nice and the pool lovely. It had a really deep end that probably housed a diving board a number of years ago. There were only 8 deck chairs and 4 were in a poor state of repair but there was only a few people using them. There were some plastic chairs and tables spread around the area.
Parking was not a probelm for us altough one would wonder what happens if the motel is more than half full?
The kitchen was OK in that it had a fill sized fridge and stove and most of he things requred to cook a modest meal. We only used it for light lunch and breakfast. All kitchen stuff had to be returned to a box in the room before checking out.
There is a couch/hide-a-bed. The unit is advertised as being able to hold 4 people but it would be very crowded and we would not recommend it.
The location of the Ebb Tide was perfect. It is handy to restaurants and attractions. It was also right on the beach. You could watch the many surfers and hear the surf. It was very pleasant sitting out in the evening, having a drink, listening to the surf. These pluses almost made up for the shortcomings.
The staff were friendly enough and I believe they lived on site. The manager (owner?) lives in a large unit which is part of the motel grounds. However, there is no real way to contact management as there are no phones in the rooms. I believe they are available for a fee. Our 4th night involved a major party group occupying the adjacent room. Every hour or two from 11 to 6 am, there was constant loud noise that woke us up. I also had to place wet towels under the adjoining door as it was obvious that the occupants were heavy smokers and the smoke entered our room. There is supposed to a be a heavy fine for smokers.
I had been previously been advised by law enforcement that when confronted by a situation that is out of control, like this was, that we should pack our bags, leave the room and advise management to move one to another room. I am not talking about a loud TV here!!! One's safety can otherwise be compromised. Been there. Done that. Unfortunately, it was not possible in this case.
The next morning I advised management of the situation and was told that the person had only booked one night. I advised them that they had left at about 6:30 am. I was told that the fine would be applied. Big deal. I was not offered any refund or even an apology.
We had no other situations (we would have left if there were). I believe the motel was only half full which explained the quietness of the property with that exception. It might also explain why a one night questionable rental was made.
Which brings me to an issue I should have noticed. We had to pay our entire weeks stay in advance when we checked in. So there was no negotiating for poor service at check out.
We checked the rates for a number of other motels and hotels in the area and realized that we had overpaid, especially considering the less than par room, etc. We paid $192 a night, all taxes in. We could have had a better room for $125 to $150 (all in).
We have stayed at many non chain, smaller hotels in Florida and usually put up with less than perfect surroundings but pay a baragin rate. We usually get what we pay for. Had I paid only $125 a night, my expectations would have been different. We understand there are ownership issues and that some units have been cleaned up. But we were charged the high rate (plus had the situation).
I will not rate the Ebb Tide poor but is was not what we were expecting. It was a great location but we would not stay here again.

Room Tip: rooms 30, 17 or 25 but we do not recommend this motel
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
kkaram, Owner at Ebb Tide Oceanfront Resort in Pompano Beach, Florida, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
First off, I would like to thank you for giving such an extensive review. It is also my opinion that this hotel is not for everyone. Had you taken the time to read the reviews and not just go by the tripadvisor rating, you would have known that the rooms are clean and hospitable but not something you would find at a more expensive hotel. Here at the Ebb Tide, we give 1st class service as far as location, cleanliness and hospitality. As you rated in your review, the Ebb Tide is in a 5 star location, which in real estate we learn that the most important factor is location, location, location. It would be possible for the Ebb Tide to invest considerable money into décor for the rooms and charge like the other hotels on the beach, but we have decided to maintain cleanliness and maintenance and keep the prices lower, so that all can afford to share in this location. It is not all about the décor of the rooms but the free God given scenic views taking place in front of the hotel every minute of the day. Further, this is a hotel and single nights are allowed during the week but smoking is not allowed in the rooms, but if guests ignore this request, it is very difficult for the hotel to monitor this on a minute to minute basis. You knew exactly where I lived, so you could have told me about this by just knocking on my door even if there was no one in the office or call the office line, as we always answer the phone even late at night. I would have remedied the situation immediately. My guests and their well-being are the most important thing to me and I am never too busy to address their concerns, no matter how minute those concerns are. In closing, booking online, which you did, always involves a commission to the booking engine. Try to book direct with the hotel and ask if there is a discount booking direct. I had a coupon on Tripadvisor.com which could have been used on your reservation. The coupon was not valid for online bookings. Kindly....Karen Karam
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This is a small hotel right on the beach. Nothing fancy, but very clean. You are literally steps from the beach and the outdoor area of this hotel is nice too, and a nice heated pool. I would definitely stay here again. Good value for the money.

Room Tip: bring your own shampoo / conditioner...but if you forgot it, there's a walgreen's 2 blocks a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ebb Tide Oceanfront Resort in Pompano Beach, Florida? Share your experiences!