“The motel that defines "Boutique Motel"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ebb Tide Oceanfront Resort in Pompano Beach, Florida

You added Ebb Tide Oceanfront Resort in Pompano Beach, Florida to your Saves list
Ebb Tide Oceanfront Resort in Pompano Beach, Florida
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   300 Briny Avenue, Pompano Beach, FL 33062   |
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Pompano Beach
Quebec
“The motel that defines "Boutique Motel"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Why stay in a High rise hotel when you get stay in this boutique hotel where every room door is within 50 feet of the sandy beach ? Friendly staff and owner , clean and well maintained. The kitchenette is well equiped. Don't bother to pay extra for an Ocean view room , you will spend the day on the beach or around the pool by your door step. We felt at home,

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

My wife and I have been to Pompano 6 times in the last 8 years so know the area fairly well. We had walked the beach many times and observed a number of smaller hotels. We also knew that Briny Ave was a pretty quite area. So when we noticed The Ebb Tide "Resort" had very high Trip Advisor rating we decided to stay a week around Thanksgiving. We also wanted to stay near a friend who has a condo a 5 minute walk away. They only arrived the last 2 days we were there.
The motel (it is not a "resort", although it is definately "oceanfront") has about 31 rooms. From our observation, the rooms were fairly large and resonably clean. The place is kind of "funky dated". Our room had a miss mash of furniture. The large two leaf dining room table with two chairs would fit better in my grandmothers home. The king sized bed was OK although my wife found it soft. There was a large closet but it was half occupied by an old chest of drawers. There was a large LCD TV. The bathroom was small and dated with not a lot of room for stuff. We were provided with lots of towels and pool towels.
There were several windows but none opened having seized up years ago. The widow covering were a mix of old vertical and horizontal plastic blinds. We had to fiddle with them for a long time to make sure one could not peak into the room at night. This made my wife uncomfortable. We did notice that some other rooms had more modern wooden horizontal blinds that seemed to do a better job. The air conditioner seemed to work OK but it was noisy and we turned it off at night. I wonder how it would do on a hot day. We had to leave our door open for a half hour in the morning to change the air. There was no screen door. The room had a slight musty smell.
The grounds were very nice and the pool lovely. It had a really deep end that probably housed a diving board a number of years ago. There were only 8 deck chairs and 4 were in a poor state of repair but there was only a few people using them. There were some plastic chairs and tables spread around the area.
Parking was not a probelm for us altough one would wonder what happens if the motel is more than half full?
The kitchen was OK in that it had a fill sized fridge and stove and most of he things requred to cook a modest meal. We only used it for light lunch and breakfast. All kitchen stuff had to be returned to a box in the room before checking out.
There is a couch/hide-a-bed. The unit is advertised as being able to hold 4 people but it would be very crowded and we would not recommend it.
The location of the Ebb Tide was perfect. It is handy to restaurants and attractions. It was also right on the beach. You could watch the many surfers and hear the surf. It was very pleasant sitting out in the evening, having a drink, listening to the surf. These pluses almost made up for the shortcomings.
The staff were friendly enough and I believe they lived on site. The manager (owner?) lives in a large unit which is part of the motel grounds. However, there is no real way to contact management as there are no phones in the rooms. I believe they are available for a fee. Our 4th night involved a major party group occupying the adjacent room. Every hour or two from 11 to 6 am, there was constant loud noise that woke us up. I also had to place wet towels under the adjoining door as it was obvious that the occupants were heavy smokers and the smoke entered our room. There is supposed to a be a heavy fine for smokers.
I had been previously been advised by law enforcement that when confronted by a situation that is out of control, like this was, that we should pack our bags, leave the room and advise management to move one to another room. I am not talking about a loud TV here!!! One's safety can otherwise be compromised. Been there. Done that. Unfortunately, it was not possible in this case.
The next morning I advised management of the situation and was told that the person had only booked one night. I advised them that they had left at about 6:30 am. I was told that the fine would be applied. Big deal. I was not offered any refund or even an apology.
We had no other situations (we would have left if there were). I believe the motel was only half full which explained the quietness of the property with that exception. It might also explain why a one night questionable rental was made.
Which brings me to an issue I should have noticed. We had to pay our entire weeks stay in advance when we checked in. So there was no negotiating for poor service at check out.
We checked the rates for a number of other motels and hotels in the area and realized that we had overpaid, especially considering the less than par room, etc. We paid $192 a night, all taxes in. We could have had a better room for $125 to $150 (all in).
We have stayed at many non chain, smaller hotels in Florida and usually put up with less than perfect surroundings but pay a baragin rate. We usually get what we pay for. Had I paid only $125 a night, my expectations would have been different. We understand there are ownership issues and that some units have been cleaned up. But we were charged the high rate (plus had the situation).
I will not rate the Ebb Tide poor but is was not what we were expecting. It was a great location but we would not stay here again.

Room Tip: rooms 30, 17 or 25 but we do not recommend this motel
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
kkaram, Owner at Ebb Tide Oceanfront Resort in Pompano Beach, Florida, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
First off, I would like to thank you for giving such an extensive review. It is also my opinion that this hotel is not for everyone. Had you taken the time to read the reviews and not just go by the tripadvisor rating, you would have known that the rooms are clean and hospitable but not something you would find at a more expensive hotel. Here at the Ebb Tide, we give 1st class service as far as location, cleanliness and hospitality. As you rated in your review, the Ebb Tide is in a 5 star location, which in real estate we learn that the most important factor is location, location, location. It would be possible for the Ebb Tide to invest considerable money into décor for the rooms and charge like the other hotels on the beach, but we have decided to maintain cleanliness and maintenance and keep the prices lower, so that all can afford to share in this location. It is not all about the décor of the rooms but the free God given scenic views taking place in front of the hotel every minute of the day. Further, this is a hotel and single nights are allowed during the week but smoking is not allowed in the rooms, but if guests ignore this request, it is very difficult for the hotel to monitor this on a minute to minute basis. You knew exactly where I lived, so you could have told me about this by just knocking on my door even if there was no one in the office or call the office line, as we always answer the phone even late at night. I would have remedied the situation immediately. My guests and their well-being are the most important thing to me and I am never too busy to address their concerns, no matter how minute those concerns are. In closing, booking online, which you did, always involves a commission to the booking engine. Try to book direct with the hotel and ask if there is a discount booking direct. I had a coupon on Tripadvisor.com which could have been used on your reservation. The coupon was not valid for online bookings. Kindly....Karen Karam
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This is a small hotel right on the beach. Nothing fancy, but very clean. You are literally steps from the beach and the outdoor area of this hotel is nice too, and a nice heated pool. I would definitely stay here again. Good value for the money.

Room Tip: bring your own shampoo / conditioner...but if you forgot it, there's a walgreen's 2 blocks a...
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We rented a bunch of rooms for a wedding we were all attending. The staff were so accommodating! The rooms are cute and just the right size. I needed an ironing board and was brought one upon request, no charge! The pool area is great. We played shuffleboard and enjoyed drinks at the picnic tables under the tiki hut. They have paddle boards to rent at a very reasonable price. It's wonderful to be right on the beach, no need to cross the street or anything. You have a view of the ocean in many of the rooms. I'm sure our group was very loud on a couple of nights (we were celebrating a wedding after all!) and this didn't seem to be a problem, which was really nice. If you are looking for a lot of nightlife with bars and clubs nearby, this is probably not for you. But, if you are looking for a relaxing, comfortable and affordable vacation this is definitely the place. We had an amazing time!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Over one year ago, my husbands family and I started planning for our Ebb Tide wedding ceremony. Two weeks ago, we made lifelong memories at the resort. The Ebb Tide so generously accomodated all of our wedding party, guests, our rehearsal dinner and our beach ceremony. The Ebb Tide accomodated our request for an outside business to come in to host our pig roast and set up our own bar. The few children that did come to our wedding loved the location and ammenities. All of our guests felt welcome and at home and the staff was extremely helpful and attentive. My husband and I could not have dreamed of a more perfect wedding weekend. We have heard from our guests that this was a wedding for the record books. I would 100% recommend the Ebb Tide Resort for weddings.

Sacramento
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

This place grows on you! I would like to start by saying, if we ever get back to this part of Florida, we would stay here. The ocean is right out the property's gate. The grounds have an old but kept up pool, barbecue pits, a shaded raised area with a couple of patio tables so you can eat, play cards, etc while enjoying the ocean right in front of you. (It has lights for night enjoyment, too!) The room we had was spacious and the bathroom looked remodeled with new tiles and a pedestal sink. The bedroom felt like being in your favorite aunt's home. It had a wall air conditioner that did work just fine. The lady in the front office was delightful and did her best to make our stay the best it could be.

When we first walked through the gates to check in, the first impression was OH!!! it looks like a hotel in a Beach Boy 60's movie. When we opened the door to our room, it was cheery, good size, clean, and gave a nice impression. As we stayed, enjoyed the patio area, tables and walked on the beach in front of the place, we knew we had chosen a good place.

If they could put updated tile edging on the pool and do a rock facade or something on the facility walls, it would improve its time warp. It does not have all the amenities of a Marriott and you don't get breakfast, BUT for a whole lot less money you get a special "little place" on the beach...

Room Tip: We didn't have a room with a kitchen..If you are staying for a few nights, might be good to have...
Sayville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Can't say enough about Sue and Karen who are so friendly and accomodating. They run a lovely, quaint hotel, very quiet and comfortable. Literally walking out your door and within a few feet being right on the beach isn't so bad either. Wonderful not to have to load all your beach stuff into the car and then drive is the best. Go relax on the beach then stroll back to your room and make lunch in your kitchen (equipped with a regular size frig. and small 4 burner stove), then go take a dip in the pool. There is shopping just a walk away and a new Publix right down the road. All this for VERY reasonable prices! Would highly recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ebb Tide Oceanfront Resort in Pompano Beach, Florida? Share your experiences!