“Nice and basic” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Surf Rider Resort By Evrentals

Surf Rider Resort By Evrentals
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pompano Beach
Surf Rider Resort By Evrentals
1441 S Ocean Blvd, Pompano Beach, FL 33062   |
Cleveland
“Nice and basic”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

I stayed here May 7-14 with some friends. We are all young guys in our teens/early 20s. For us, this place was perfect because it was a basic resort and we got a cheap rate through my grandparent's timeshare. The beach access is very convenient being right across the street. Also, there is a bus stop right in front of the resort, which was helpful for us since my brother took our car with him to the Keys for a few days. This resort has a very nice pool with an 8-9' deep end (nice!) and it has 2 shuffleboard courts and a tennis court. We had a one bedroom condo and it was extremely roomy. Even with the murphy bed down, there was still plenty of room to move around, and we fit a full size air mattress on the bedroom floor without a problem. The murphy bed is a very nice feature. The staff was super friendly. What we didn't like was that the whole living room has a tile floor. Also, everything inside seems outdated. But since we were a group of young guys, we weren't looking for frills so it wasn't a big deal! They did not have wi-fi at this resort. Also, we killed 10 cockroaches in our room during our week at this resort - not a big deal to us (this IS in south Florida!), but some people might have a problem with this. Also, our room did not have a patio. Only a few rooms had patios or balconies. Despite the negatives, everyone staying at the resort seemed to be having a great time hanging out at the pool! We definitely enjoyed our stay! I would recommend this resort to anyone who is looking for a cheap vacation with no frills. The pool and beach are nice and if you are like me, you will spend most of your time there anyway. And definitely take a day trip to go snorkeling at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park in Key Largo!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

32 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

My family of four stayed here for 5 nights. They only give you enough towels for one each person to use once. They only replenish your towels once a week. They expect you to wash them yourself in the coin operated machines inside your unit. Why would I want to do this on vacation? Also, there is no maid service daily so be prepared to take out your trash daily. If you don't, ants will come. Also, the drain stopper in the shower had to be pulled up to use the shower. You don't even want to know what came up with the drain stopper. The murphy bed in the living room was very uncomfortable. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Lee, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2010

I had a great time at the Rider not because of the amenities (pool was great, coin-op washer dryer in room, beach close by, etc.) but because Howard kept things lively and interesting, He was the most helpful person there - although others were polite not too interested in going out of their way to make your stay more pleasant. Negatives, had to change rooms because of non-working ac (assured that it was) had little help with moving despite the fact that I was traveling with two elderly people, smoking area was too close to office and pool area, and I didn't have a car (not their fault). Met some other very interesting people along the way. All in all I would go back if Howard is still there! KC
PS: Could have used frames under twin beds and a tv in that room.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010 via mobile

First off the ad never mentions how far from the beach it actually is. Beach access yes but far walk & can't even see the ocean or beach from the nicer condo's towering in front. We asked for a 2 bedroom condo for 4 adults, got to our room to find a queen bed in 1 room & 2 twins in the other. Went back to office to ask for a room with 2 queens & was informed all rooms are the same but there is a larger wall bed. Came back to room to find the wall bed in the middle of the living room. On top of that our room smelled strongly of cigarette smoke & was SOOOO hot!!! Turned the air down but still didn't cool off & NO fans to turn on. Called to have a maintenance man come to check it out. A knock on the door revealed a Jamaican man with a mouth full of gold teeth & dread locks. We didn't know whether to give him our wallets or invite him in to check out the air. He came in & immediately started repeating "this air conditioner is brand new. People been stayin here for 3 weeks. Then he proceeded to turn our air back up!!!! & said he would tell his manager! A little while later he came back & repeated what he had already said, therefore I told him he was being very rude & could just leave. So he stood there arguing with me about how he was not being rude!!!!! So all in all this place is horrible!!! Too far from beach, rooms hot as Hades, old fashioned, horrible ammenities, & RUDE staff!!!! Please for your family or friends sake stay somewhere else trust me!!! I rarely complain when it comes to the beach but this is by FAR the WORST place I've ever stayed. Even have to pay $1.50 to wash your clothes in your own room!!!

• Stayed September 2010
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

I actually own this timeshare, and didn't know what to expect. But, expectations were well over met !
I was in room 307 (third floor with balcony). Only 2 units in this entire complex has one.
The other unit is 207. Overlooks the pool and hottub area.
The BBQ is also close by, just down the steps, and you're right at it.

The room itself, you might think your in an apartment suite. It's HUGE !
Master bedroom is the average size of a living room, with walk in closet and bathroom/shower/bath. Has it's on TV and DVD player as well.

2nd bedroom aslo has it's own bathroom and walk-in shower.
Coin operated washer/dryer is also in the suite.

Wifi Internet actually worked from the balcony. I spent evenings on it, surfing the net, drinking beer, and smoking (we didn't smoke in the room, as you should not, out of curtisity to others).
No need to, anyways, with that large balconey, with patio furniture.

Living area is very cozy, nice furniture, with full kitchen, which is also nicely sized.

Beach is about a 2 min walk, accross the street, and thru a private path.

Now, the "negatives", not the right word, but inconviences:

The A1A street, to cross over to the beach can at times be busy. I personally never had a problem crossing it. But, for slower walkers, I guess it can be a challenge at times, since nor a crosswalk or traffic light is available.

Bring your own coffee, even coffee filters (but I heard, the front desk has filters, and you just need to ask).
Dishwasher detergent is provided (in the kitchen cupboard), but no liquid soap for hand washing dishes. No big deal. MY aunt, just used some of the powder stuff, instead for the small dish-washing.
Electrical switches.... didn't find out what they were for. I don't think a few of them worked.
So, you had to turn on the living room lamps manually. As well as the one in the 2nd bedroom. But, also no big deal.

Positives:
I found staff and guest super friendly.
You wanna do a day tour or anything, they are more then helpful. Even tell you what not to waste money on, and whats better.
Like, once I asked for a snorkel tour. Frontdesk, told me not to waste my money. Pompono Beach has great snorkelling. Just go to Walmart and buy goggles.

You'll never get approched for any timeshare meetings.
No one bugs you at all.
The olympic size pool they have is awesome, so is the hottub.
I always did my last swim at night, and soaked in the hottub, before heading in for the night (or balcony internet).
Walls are solid and soundproof. Never heard a peak from other guests !

All in all, my aunt and I really enjoyed this place.
Even though it's not as fancy and and modern as the Wyndham up the street (where we also stayed). We much more like Surfrider.
Just for the fact, suite was larger, and view was better, and was much more convinent walking down a few steps, then to be in a highriser, waiting for elevators.

MY aunt and I would highly recommend this place. Esspecially if you get room 207 or 307. The best out of the bunch !

Oh, and if you can make it, go to Stingers Pizza on Saturday night.
They have live outdoor music, and dance.
And actually so does the Greek place south of the Resort.

If you want more info, or even consider staying in room 307 for my week, give me a shout :)
You won't regret this place.

Just don't expect a hotel and hotel services.
It's more like a condo rental. Which I prefer, anyways.

• Stayed December 2009
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2009

We just came home from a week in Southern Florida. I always write my reviews right away, while everything is still fresh in my mind. This timeshare was booked back in April 2009 and we chose The Surf Rider because we were able to reserve a two bedroom-two bath unit. They advertise as a Pompano Beach location, whereas the location is actually Lauderdale-by-the-Sea. No matter, they are two blocks from Pompano Beach and about 15 minutes away from Fort Lauderdale. They are across the street from the beach, but you simply cross the street, and walk down a block-long access path to the beach. For those who prefer, their pool area is an excellent alternative to the beach.

Overall, I give this place a C+ rating. I own two timeshares with my partner and both are a Gold Crown rating under RCI. This is NOT a Gold Crown resort and will never be for a simple reason. They fail to "sweat the details" to make your stay better. OK, here's what I mean. We check in and that went as expected, so when we get to our room, we start to unpack. For a two bedroom unit with large closet spaces, you'd expect some decent hangers in the closet. Plastic hangers you buy at the Dollar Store are not what you should provide for a master bedroom closet. The kitchen is a full kitchen (stove, oven, refrigerator, and microwave). How hard would it be for them to provide a roll of paper towels, a box of Kleenex and a small bottle of Dawn dish detergent? I know, we have to go grocery shopping anyway -- oh, there are plenty of Publix supermarkets close by.

The master bedroom was nice, with a queen size bed and a dressing area and nice size bathroom. The second bedroom had two twin beds and the living room a pull-out Murphy bed, already made up for those who needed to sleep guests #5-6.

The public area was very well maintained and as mentioned before, a pool area that was nicely laid out.

OK, here's my only major criticism of this place, and why they won't be getting better scores -- NO HOUSEKEEPING ALL WEEK!!! They provide a towel exchange mid-week only but you have to bring the towels to them, they don't come to your room and they don't clean the toilets, vacuum the rugs, etc. during your stay. Even more, no beach/pool towels are provided so pack your own. Worse, the surly housekeeper was defensive when I told her I was shortchanged one bath towel at the exchange. She put on the latex gloves and counted all the dirty towels I returned. Like I would steal a towel from them?!?

Overall, I would not stay here again, but only because there are nicer and better timeshare resorts in the area, such as Weston Bonaventure and Wyndham Palm-Aire.
For a family of four, however, these resorts would be fine if you want to be only a block or so from the beach and of course, you drive everywhere but there are plenty of dining choices whether you exit left or exit right from Surf Rider.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

Place was nice enough on the whole. Coin op washer dryer in room is tacky and ceiling fans and bathroom exhaust fans would have been welcome but really comfortable place to stay overall. Nice pool area. Wi-fi only in the office or poolside. Came down to use the computer around 11pm and needed to use a bathroom so elevatored down to the office. Stepped off the elevator and through an open door to a bathroom. Ferocius pounding on the door and a man screaming "what do think you're doing in there? Who do you think you are?!" and the like. Stepped out in my pajama pants and t-shirt and no shoes to find myself facing a rather menacing large man with a scar on his forehead clad in just a bathing suit with his angry arms crossed across his ample belly and a woman dressed as a receptionist neither of whom identified themselves as they screamed at me and threatened me including threatening to throw me out for accidently using the staff bathroom. Didn't notice the "employees only" sign on the open door I walked through. "Who do you think you are doing something like that?!" Frankly I was pretty scared. Apologized and escaped to the office proper but was followed and the abuse continued so headed out to the pool area. Unfortunately the BR in the pool area didn't have a working light (just used it during the day now--no soap either). Anyway, sat checking e-mail with 2 other computer users poolside and receptionist lady came to berate me some more and request my room number for her "report." Gave her the number and suggested their behavior was pretty unprofessional and she yelled about me maybe "having a gun" (in my pajamas???). So I told her I felt pretty threatened myself but if she was worried for her safety perhaps she should call the police.

So she did.

I apologized to the officer who found me poolside for his time being wasted by this nonsense and accompanied him back to the office to "prove I was a guest." No I'm a neighbor who came over without shoes in my pajamas to shoot up the employee bathroom. Sheesh. Produced my room key while big guy continue to scream and shout and menace and lift his shirt (guess he got dressed for the occasion) to show that "he didn't have a gun!" Turns out the guy is the "chief maintenance officer" or some such fancy title for "super." So I pled guilty to using the employee BR by mistake, offered to let the bemused cop fingerprint me and bid them all goodnight. Suffice it to say I'm being more careful to bolt my door at night than usual.

These guys obviously have too little entertainment and far too little training in hotel management. What a bunch of loonies!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Surf Rider Resort By Evrentals? Share your experiences!