“Comfortable Resort, Conveniently Located to Amenities” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Palm-Aire

Save Saved
You added Wyndham Palm-Aire to your Saves list
Wyndham Palm-Aire
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   2601 Palm Aire Drive North, Pompano Beach, FL 33069 (Formerly Palm Aire Resort and Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #14 of 35 hotels in Pompano Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
New Jersey
“Comfortable Resort, Conveniently Located to Amenities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

The check-in staff was professional but friendly and the process at the front desk and concierge desk went very smoothly as compared to other timeshare resorts (specifically, Berkeley Resorts Massanutten resort) I have visited through RCI. There was no mad rush of families trying to check in at 4pm. In fact, several days earlier, I had called ahead to request an early check-in time (I wanted to check-in, shower, and change before a family event nearby at 5pm) and the Palm Aire staff was happy to accomodate the request, even suggesting I could use the locker room facilities at the on-site spa to get ready if my room was not prepared.

I was assigned a suite on the 4th floor of the Sabal Palm building, which I understand is due for refurbishment soon. The suite was very clean, although it was obvious the furniture and decor was due to be refreshed. We thoroughly enjoyed our week at the resort. To comment on areas that other guests have complained about -- the common areas of the buildings and the grounds (including the pool) are very well maintained; the staffpeople we encountered were friendly; the suite and hallways were quiet; and the wireless internet connection dropped a few times but not more frequently than at home or Starbucks. There are definitely not enough activities to keep myself occupied to spend a week solely at the resort, but that wasn't my intention for this trip (as I was in FLL primarily to visit friends and family). Unless you plan to sit by the pool, play golf at the Palm Aire course, and walk to McDonalds/Wal*Mart for meals all week, you will definitely need a rental car. Fort Lauderdale is very spread out -- there is no mass transit and finding a taxi/car service is a challenge, even for locals. The Palm Aire community felt secure although the surrounding area is substantially more commercial than the beachfront resorts (there's a McDonalds and Wal*Mart within walking distance). The sirens another guest reported were just as likely ambulances responding to the large retirement community or returning to the hospital nearby.

I would definitely return to the Palm Aire, although I would also like to visit the Wyndham beachfront resorts.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

533 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

I am 27 years old and I came to this resort with my sister who is 24 and my mom who is in her 50's. We were a little apprehensive because of the reviews on this site, but we were very pleasantly surprised. We had a room that did not face the pool at first and we requested to move and it was no problem at all. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite and it was amazing! Our kitchen was really well equipped and the furniture was extremely well taken care of. There is an awesome jacuzzi tub in the master bedroom. The mattresses were brand new and very comfortable. It was a windy week, but there was a ton of things to do. They have activities everyday. We took Salsa lessons, played Deal or No Deal, made jewelery, listened to Caribbean music by the pool, went to a murder mystery dinner and much much more. There is an awesome water slide that people of all ages went down. There were a lot of children and families, but there are so many pools and so many places for kids to play in the water that it was enjoyable and not out of control like some resorts are that allow children. We went to the sister hotel by the beach and had a great time. It was right on the beach and you could sit on the beach or stay at the pool. There were always plenty of chairs available. Even though we were from a different hotel we were treated as the same as their own guests were Again, we absolutely loved this resort and would recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxing time.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

This resort was conveniently located to the other sister resorts so we had a lot of options. Although I think that this one was the nicest, the other resorts offered heated pools and locations right on the beach. The drive to the beach was less that 15 min. away and parking on the resort properties was a cinch. The staff in all locations was very nice and accomodating. The kids loved the pools and the pool slide at the Palm-Aire was a huge hit. They have various activities during the day for the kids and there's a little playground and minature golf on the site.

The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable (no bed bugs mentioned in other reviews!). The balcony was roomy enough and there were plenty of towels, blankets and pillows. The furniture was clean and in good shape and comfortable enough to hang out on. The kitchen had a sufficient amount of supplies and was comfortable to cook 3 meals a day in! Bring your own spices - even the salt and pepper is a joke. Because we have 2 small children we didn't go out to eat much. We ventured out for breakfast one morning and went to the country club restaurant on site. When I peeked in, it looked very lame - a bunch of geriatric people ordering off a very boring menu. We immediately decided to go to the Moonlite Diner where the food was great the staff was friendly.

I would have liked daily housekeeping. They don't come in for the entire week! On the other hand, if we needed anything, they would send it up immediately. They have a nice spa and a great gym where the locker room has a sauna and steamroom. I used both the gym and the spa and was very pleased.They provide nice towels, toiletries and lockers.

It's not a luxurious resort but comfortable and a nice getaway to escape the cold. It's convenient and easy to go from one activity to another. There are a lot of families with kids so if you are single and looking for an exciting stay, this is not the place for you.

Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Sunnyvale, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

We spent the week in a 2 bedroom suite with two parents, a set of grandparents, and 4-yr old, 2-yr-old and 2 month old children. The unit had a full kitchen and included a stacked washer/dryer in the master bdrm. The mstr bdrm had a king bed and a jetted tub and seperate shower with double sinks. The 2nd bdrm had 2 queen beds and a tub/shower bathroom was located off the dining area and bdrm. The unit was dated (late 70s/early 80s) and the furnishings and beddinng reflected the age. We did see some of the updated units, but wanted to be closer to the playground and swimming pools, so made the sacrifice :> The building with the spa and gym has the updated rooms.
There are two pool areas on either side of the main breezeway - one pool has a zero entry area, a small water slide (have to be 48", so not that small), and a small separate tot pool with a fountain. The other pool is more standard. There is a small playground structure which my 4 and 2 yr olds enjoyed and a sand volleyball court which was use more for badmiton and my girls used as a sand box. There is also an 18-hole putt-putt course - a bit worn, but functional. The resort has some scheduled activities throughout the week. There were few children at the resort and mostly older, retired folks who seemed happy to lounge at the pool and play Bingo every morning in the breeze-way. My 4-yr-old did some craft activites and we were very happy with the "Animal Encounter" (for $6). It was a traveling company (they do hotels, schools, parties, fairs) and was unexpectantly educational. She was able to pet/touch most of the animals and even held a few (macaw, honey bear, and a young python).
The spa had a variety of services at resonable prices and I was happy with my facial, aromatherapy message and pedicure/manicure. The gym was a good size 5 treadmills and several machines and free-weights. There was also an exercise room with various fitness classes scheduled throughout the day.
We had a good time given the age range of our children. Our room and the grounds weren't fancy, but sufficient for a 'relaxing' week. If you had older kids, I don't think they'd been entertained, but if you spend your days out and about, it would work as a good home base as we cooked all our meals in the kitchen (close shopping at a Super Target, Wal-Mart, and Winn-Dixie). However, it is located north of Ft. Lauderdale, so if you're thinking of spending time in Miami, it would be a drive.
The resort is about 15-20 minutes from the Ft. Lauderdale beaches, 15-20 minutes from the airport, and 45-60 minutes to the Miami Metro Zoo. The resort offers golfing privileges to 4 golf courses (rates between $20 - $60 depending on the season and time of day).
I would recommend this hotel to my friends with younger children, but not to my single friends as the majority of the guests are retirees from the north.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Newton, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2009

BED BUGS!!!! We had a nice time while there - large condo-style unit, beautiful heated pools, free mini-golf. However, I was bitten by BED BUGS! I discovered this when I got home and was covered in over 150 bites - mostly on my arm and neck. I went to the doctor who diagnosed my problem. Very painful and itchy! I called the hotel and left a voice message with the manager who NEVER called me back. Stay away until you have proof they are dealing with this problem!

• Liked — large rooms, heated pools
  • Disliked — Bed bugs!!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

My family and I stayed at Palm-Aire for one night in mid-February. The resort is very pretty, with lush palm trees and a courtyard with a large pool and recreation area. We liked our room a lot – a spacious 2-bedroom with a balcony overlooking the pool. The resort is older, but it is well-maintained.
The area where the resort is located offers a lot of amenities, too. There are plenty of restaurants nearby, and there’s a racetrack/casino across the street. We didn’t have the time to take advantage of it, but we saw many onsite activities advertised. The staff was very friendly, and offered us advice on things to see and do in the area. We did get to enjoy the pool, which was clean and warm. They have a nice kid’s area for the younger guests to run and wade in; my kids loved it! We were pretty tired by then, and we missed coconut bowling, but, based on the cheers we kept hearing, I’m sure it was a blast.
We recommended this resort to several friends and relatives who often travel to the Fort Lauderdale/Pompano Beach area. As Wyndham owners, we later booked a 2-night stay for my brother-in-law and his family. They absolutely loved it, and were offered free breakfast buffet and a dining card.
I recommend this hotel to young singles, couples, and families. The highway is nearby, and Miami is only a few exits away.

• Liked — Great pool!
  • Disliked — A bit older looking, but still nice.
  • Stayed February 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hartland, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

After reading some bad reviews, I was a little bit worried about staying at the Palm Aire. It was actually one of the best vacations I've ever taken! We arrived at around 8pm after a 20 hour drive from Michigan and were very excited with the way that the resort looked. The person at the front desk was very friendly and got us our room keys very quickly and we were on our way. Our room was AMAZING! There were 8 of us girls in a 2 bedroom suite with 2 full beds, a king bed and a pull out sleeper sofa. This was more than enough room for us all! We stayed for a whole week. 5 of the days we went to the sister hotel on the beach. It only took about 5 minutes to get to the other hotel and the beach front was nice and close to the parking garage. We had wraps inside the shop at this hotel and they were delicious! The other two days, we chose to stay at the palm-aire and hang out by the pool. The two main pools were large and well-kept. The only problem was that the hot tub was a little too hot to sit in. They have a slide made for children, but we all took a turn on it! It was fun:)

Stayed December 2008

Been to Wyndham Palm-Aire? Share your experiences!