“Great Experience” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Rocky Point, New York
“Great Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Although the property is older, it is clean and well laid out. We had a queen suite that overlooked the pool, the room was clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. The buffet breakfast was wonderful, varied and always well stocked. The staff was courteous and helpful.
I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Ashleigh R, General Manager at Residence Inn Ft. Lauderdale Plantation, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
lenaP76,

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us. I will make sure to pass on the recognition to my team! Have a great day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Opportunity to stay at the Residence Inn Plantation for 1-night. Staff very friendly and accommodating. Lobby nice but rooms showing their age. Found it very strange that only hotel I have ever stayed at without automatic doors at entrance. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2014
W0rld_Travel_Advisor,

Hello! Thank you for your feedback. I am looking into the automatic front door. I appreciate you bringing it to our attention. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit, we hope to see you again soon!
Jacksonville, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

I am a seasoned traveler and I enjoyed every moment of my 10 night stay. My check in took less than 5 minutes. I used a trolly to load all my luggage and work equipment & found my room (318) overlooking the fire pit, basketball court, pool view. My room was near the staircase leading to the rear of the complex and right across from the doorway to the lobby/gym/front desk area. The business center is the only thing that I think needs to be moved. I had to use the business area twice a day for work purposes and it is literally next to the front desk in the dining room on a high table. It is there for guest to print out boarding passes. I had to use it to plug in my work laptop & check email. It was never an inconvenience because my cord was long, but I always dreaded going down there in case people chose the table next to it & I may be in the way. During my stay there was work to the fire pit area, they were laying new concrete. The pool was nice, along with the Jacuzzi. People were always using it, but not overly crowded. The basketball court got a lot of use as well as the fitness center. If I were in the room when the ladies came to clean, I declined, and usually only had trash to give them. When my room was cleaned it was always a great job. They put the dishes in the dishwasher and tidied up my mess of things that I bought to have during my 10 day stay. If I had known they provided dinners through out the week I would not have brought anything. Each day the breakfast was set out on time with a variety of fruit, breads, eggs, waffles, French toast, potatoes, meats, & I believe the free dinners were Mon-Thursday. The menu is posted in the room. The meals also were served with wine, beer, soda, and water. I never utilized the dining area. I always took a grocery bag with me and made my plates to-go by covering them with an additional plate. I saved all of my per diem by eating the breakfast and dinners. They also had a popcorn machine, nightly cookies, and a container near the front entrance of ice cold lemon water. Each time I spoke to a person at the front desk they were extremely helpful. My rental car broke down twice while I was there and they were very helpful. I did experience other guest being extremely rude to a person at the front desk. The other guest was quite unreasonable. I was being assisted, the telephone rang & the clerk was dealing with the call (I had let her know I was in no rush because I was also using the business center to download something) I was standing at the counter and this rude guest comes up demanding a pool towel loudly while the clerk was speaking to someone on the phone. I believe the clerk handled the unreasonable person with a great deal of patience. I always witnessed staff cleaning, smiling, refilling the coffee, hot water containers, and generally just being helpful. I did not notice any strange things in my room. Upon entering on the first day, I inspect all pillows, pull back the blankets, spray the pillows, phones, remotes, toilets, door handles with my own Lysol just incase and I did not notice any strangeness. The hallways were very cold each time I entered them but I don't sleep in the hallways so that was not a concern. My refrigerator and dining area was clean, the carpet in the room was clean, my bed was comfortable, and everything in my room worked like it should. I spent 10 nights here and every time I spoke to co workers and friends who travel for business I raved about my great fortune. Also the proximity to restaurants and gas stations was perfect. The hotel is located right behind Macaroni Grill. I didn't dine there. You could walk to the gas station if you wanted to. The rooms have microwave popcorn and hot chocolate, you can get refills if you want. The refrigerator has an ice maker also. I enjoyed my stay and I am due to go back to this area in April and I look forward to staying here again. I will definitely ask for the same room. Actually once I know my travel dates I will call ahead and ask to have "my" room reserved. I also had packages delivered from my employer and I was always notified immediately of the delivery. Just a tip: In the past I have read negative reviews about a place where I had to stay due to someone else booking it & I took it upon myself to contact the hotel prior to my stay to advise them of the negative reviews and to express my concern about the issues. I believe hotels will take notice when you take the time to let them know about your displeasure in an appropriate way. Everyone wants to get their money's worth and businesses want happy customers. If you read a negative review, take a look at how many reviews the person has written, if the business has responded (some do not have someone to do this) and if you are set on staying at the place, contact them directly. It won't hurt, it should only help the situation. Safe travels & I hope my review was helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Kira,

Thank you so much for your kind words! I will be sure to pass on the feedback to my entire team. I am so happy to hear that we were able to provide such a pleasant stay. Let us know as soon as you want to reserve your next reservation and we will be sure to take care of you. Thanks again, we look forward to seeing you soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Booked a two bedroom suite for my husband and I and my parents to share before leaving on our cruise the following day. Booking online claimed transport was included to the pier for all four of us round trip; however, upon the morning of our cruise, we were informed at the shuttle (which was over 45 minutes late) that we had only paid for two and only for ONE way. Needing to get the port and having had a stressful morning, we begrudgingly paid the driver directly. He failed to give us a receipt but we hoped in good faith they would uphold their end of the rather confusing bargain.
After our cruise, we waited another 45 minutes to be picked up at the pier after having made multiple attempts to get in contact with the front desk for transportation. That morning, the voicemail box was full, so it took almost a half hour to even get anyone on the line. We were picked up and taken back to the hotel, whereupon having already paid them a week earlier we went on our way. Not more than 15 minutes later, my father received a phone call from the hotel claiming the $10 in tip we had given was actually insufficient because they claimed we had never even paid for the return trip.
For $12/pp for a barely 10 mile trip, the services rendered by this hotel were totally unacceptable. Poor customer service (nothing like be argued with about whether you paid or not by a grown man) coupled with a frankly sub-par example of the Marriot brand will send us back to the Hampton Inn with its flamingo encrusted van and complementary service.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Ashleigh R, General Manager at Residence Inn Ft. Lauderdale Plantation, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Lmnop6312,

I am so sorry to hear that there was so much confusion with your transportation arrangements. I have already reached out to the transportation company about this inquiry. Punctuality is extremely important to me and I have clearly expressed my expectation. As far as the cruise package, this package includes shuttle service for up to two people from the Port Everglades. Additional people are twelve dollars each. Transportation to the port is not included with the package. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to reach out to me directly. Again, I am sorry there was so much confusion. I hope you will give us an opportunity to regain your trust in the future.
Portland,OR
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I seriously don't understand some of the ratings that people have given this hotel. I booked this property because my family and I were flying out of Fort Lauderdale after a cruise and when I read that it had been renovated I thought that it must be pretty good. Boy was I wrong ! Upon arrival the lobby appears to be fairly decent but it's all downhill from there. The hallways are old and seriously over-perfumed as though they're trying to mask some other odor beneath it but all it did was succeed in making me sick. The rooms also smell VERY musty from the minute you walk in and are older than any other Residence Inn that I've ever stayed at (and I've stayed at many). The carpets were sticky so we never walked around without sandals. The furniture is OLD and in poor condition. The kitchen area was actually gross especially the cabinets and garbage area beneath the sink. The property was supposed to be 100% non-smoking but they don't mind giving you old smelly blankets with several cigarette burns in them. Even my 9 year old daughter who is generally so easy going complained that she couldn't sleep because the blankets smelled. I don't think i've stayed at such a dilapidated and unprofessional Residence Inn in my entire life. When my husband asked for some sheets to use under the blankets for the sofa bed and rollaway, they gave us nothing but fitted sheets saying that they ran out of laundry (and that too with stains). Renovations ??? What renovations?? When I asked the front desk clerk what reno's were done to the rooms she told me that reno's were in the lobby and outside areas but none to the rooms (which is completely apparent). Oh my goodness, there are so many negative things at this property that I could go on and on. We made a mistake by staying at this property but I hope that you read my review and avoid the mistake we made. I would NEVER recommend anyone stay here and I have no intention of ever taking my family back. I don't understand how Marriott has let this property slide because it is COMPLETELY sub-par for a Marriott property. Why aren't the regional reps reviewing this property? If anyone plans on being in the Fort Lauderdale area - look into Los Olas. We drove through this area a couple of times and were so impressed with the location that for the future I plan on finding something in this location. I think there are several hotels in this part of Fort Lauderdale, a beautiful mall, beaches within a short distance, great restaurants and I'm sure based on the look of the area - the hotels Los Olas must have a higher standard of quality.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any good rooms at this property.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Ashleigh R, General Manager at Residence Inn Ft. Lauderdale Plantation, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
DVIPortland,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback. I am disappointed to hear that you stay was less than perfect and that you left unsatisfied. Please know that we are listening and committed to providing the Marriott experience that you have come to expect. We have already completed a professional cleaning of the entire property's corridors and are addressing/correcting all other concerns daily. Again, thank you for your feedback and I hope in the future you will allow us the opportunity to provide you the service I know we can.
Mexico City, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

If you have ever stayed on a Residence Inn avoid a bad experience and simply skip this one. It is a shame what the current management and procedures are in this place.
I arrived late on a Friday night. I was expecting a fedex letter but there was never a note stating any arrival. So I thought that the company did not send anything. (I will come to this later…)
I opened a safety box at the front desk. They never asked for my signature at the beginning, when I asked how would they know that it was me, they told me “they will remember me”… and probably ask for an ID….
I left the hotel next morning and came back late, just to notice that my room was not made, and it smelled like all the guests of the hotel had a barbeque in my room. Simply disgusting.
I complained about the matter and I got fresh towels and shampoo 45 minutes later, not even offering to clean up a little bit.
Next morning I complained with the manager and the way to “compensate” about the incident was to give me extra points for my staying.
Remember the fedex envelope I was expecting? It was there since I arrived, they just simply did not care to tell me. It was just at check out that I asked for it and after a while they remembered they had it.

Room Tip: Check for a change in Management first. Do not go if same people of december 2013 are still there.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
MPM_WORLDWIDE,

I am sorry to hear about the inconveniences that you encountered throughout your stay. I am grateful for your feedback as it allows us to continue to improve. Please know that I have followed up with my leadership team and have provided additional trainings to the front desk and housekeeping department regarding your concerns. Thank you for staying with us, we hope you will allow us an opportunity to redeem ourselves in the future.
The Villages, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

We spent Thanksgiving night at this hotel. They did give us a warm welcome and provided a Thanksgiving dinner which was a great perk. However, our room needed a good cleaning. The building is older, but that's not an excuse for lack of good cleaning. I found a very dirty glass in the cupboard, someone had spilled something on top of the microwave and it looked like it might be getting moldy. The inside doorframe to the bathroom was stained and cabinets were difficult to open. There were no disposable cups in the bathroom or kitchen. We were on the 4th floor so cleaning the outside windows must be difficult...but; they were dirty and smudged-up. Lastly, there was no ice bucket and no ice available except at the registration desk. We were staying just one night so hadn't time to make ice in the refrigerator.

Had we been spending more than just overnight, we probably would have moved to another Marriott property as this one just didn't meet Marriott standards. This location is a rewards level 4 and just doesn't rate that high a rating.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Gingin410,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am sorry to hear about the inconveniences during your stay. My housekeeping and engineering manager have been informed and we have applied your feedback for overall improvement. I appreciate you staying with us and hope that you will visit us again soon.

Been to Residence Inn Ft. Lauderdale Plantation? Share your experiences!