“WORST RESIDENCE INN THAT I'VE EVER STAYED AT !!” 1 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Plantation
GreenLeadersBronze level
Portland,OR
“WORST RESIDENCE INN THAT I'VE EVER STAYED AT !!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I seriously don't understand some of the ratings that people have given this hotel. I booked this property because my family and I were flying out of Fort Lauderdale after a cruise and when I read that it had been renovated I thought that it must be pretty good. Boy was I wrong ! Upon arrival the lobby appears to be fairly decent but it's all downhill from there. The hallways are old and seriously over-perfumed as though they're trying to mask some other odor beneath it but all it did was succeed in making me sick. The rooms also smell VERY musty from the minute you walk in and are older than any other Residence Inn that I've ever stayed at (and I've stayed at many). The carpets were sticky so we never walked around without sandals. The furniture is OLD and in poor condition. The kitchen area was actually gross especially the cabinets and garbage area beneath the sink. The property was supposed to be 100% non-smoking but they don't mind giving you old smelly blankets with several cigarette burns in them. Even my 9 year old daughter who is generally so easy going complained that she couldn't sleep because the blankets smelled. I don't think i've stayed at such a dilapidated and unprofessional Residence Inn in my entire life. When my husband asked for some sheets to use under the blankets for the sofa bed and rollaway, they gave us nothing but fitted sheets saying that they ran out of laundry (and that too with stains). Renovations ??? What renovations?? When I asked the front desk clerk what reno's were done to the rooms she told me that reno's were in the lobby and outside areas but none to the rooms (which is completely apparent). Oh my goodness, there are so many negative things at this property that I could go on and on. We made a mistake by staying at this property but I hope that you read my review and avoid the mistake we made. I would NEVER recommend anyone stay here and I have no intention of ever taking my family back. I don't understand how Marriott has let this property slide because it is COMPLETELY sub-par for a Marriott property. Why aren't the regional reps reviewing this property? If anyone plans on being in the Fort Lauderdale area - look into Los Olas. We drove through this area a couple of times and were so impressed with the location that for the future I plan on finding something in this location. I think there are several hotels in this part of Fort Lauderdale, a beautiful mall, beaches within a short distance, great restaurants and I'm sure based on the look of the area - the hotels Los Olas must have a higher standard of quality.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any good rooms at this property.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Ashleigh R, General Manager at Residence Inn Ft. Lauderdale Plantation, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
DVIPortland,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback. I am disappointed to hear that you stay was less than perfect and that you left unsatisfied. Please know that we are listening and committed to providing the Marriott experience that you have come to expect. We have already completed a professional cleaning of the entire property's corridors and are addressing/correcting all other concerns daily. Again, thank you for your feedback and I hope in the future you will allow us the opportunity to provide you the service I know we can.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Mexico City, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

If you have ever stayed on a Residence Inn avoid a bad experience and simply skip this one. It is a shame what the current management and procedures are in this place.
I arrived late on a Friday night. I was expecting a fedex letter but there was never a note stating any arrival. So I thought that the company did not send anything. (I will come to this later…)
I opened a safety box at the front desk. They never asked for my signature at the beginning, when I asked how would they know that it was me, they told me “they will remember me”… and probably ask for an ID….
I left the hotel next morning and came back late, just to notice that my room was not made, and it smelled like all the guests of the hotel had a barbeque in my room. Simply disgusting.
I complained about the matter and I got fresh towels and shampoo 45 minutes later, not even offering to clean up a little bit.
Next morning I complained with the manager and the way to “compensate” about the incident was to give me extra points for my staying.
Remember the fedex envelope I was expecting? It was there since I arrived, they just simply did not care to tell me. It was just at check out that I asked for it and after a while they remembered they had it.

Room Tip: Check for a change in Management first. Do not go if same people of december 2013 are still there.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
MPM_WORLDWIDE,

I am sorry to hear about the inconveniences that you encountered throughout your stay. I am grateful for your feedback as it allows us to continue to improve. Please know that I have followed up with my leadership team and have provided additional trainings to the front desk and housekeeping department regarding your concerns. Thank you for staying with us, we hope you will allow us an opportunity to redeem ourselves in the future.
The Villages, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

We spent Thanksgiving night at this hotel. They did give us a warm welcome and provided a Thanksgiving dinner which was a great perk. However, our room needed a good cleaning. The building is older, but that's not an excuse for lack of good cleaning. I found a very dirty glass in the cupboard, someone had spilled something on top of the microwave and it looked like it might be getting moldy. The inside doorframe to the bathroom was stained and cabinets were difficult to open. There were no disposable cups in the bathroom or kitchen. We were on the 4th floor so cleaning the outside windows must be difficult...but; they were dirty and smudged-up. Lastly, there was no ice bucket and no ice available except at the registration desk. We were staying just one night so hadn't time to make ice in the refrigerator.

Had we been spending more than just overnight, we probably would have moved to another Marriott property as this one just didn't meet Marriott standards. This location is a rewards level 4 and just doesn't rate that high a rating.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Gingin410,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am sorry to hear about the inconveniences during your stay. My housekeeping and engineering manager have been informed and we have applied your feedback for overall improvement. I appreciate you staying with us and hope that you will visit us again soon.
Charleville-Mezieres, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

My spouse and I spent two nights at this hotel for business in Fort Lauderdale.The staff is very friendly. On the second day, the dishwasher suddenly stopped, out of order, and the manager on duty brought us clean dishes and cutlery sonwe could prepare our dinner. This property is well maintained, and not pricey.

Room Tip: A few miles west is Sawgrass Mill Outlet.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
woinic08,

Thank you for staying with us! I appreciate your feedback and am I am so happy to hear that our staff provided you a friendly experience. Come back and see us soon!
San Diego, California, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

This is a nice property in a good location.
Staff is mostly friendly and the free breakfast / pool / fitness center / rooms are what you would expect from this chain.
If you put a DnD on your door, be prepared for a plastic bag full of towels, etc. enough for a family of four...why? I don't know

Room Tip: No bad rooms, unless you don't want to hear pool noise, which was not a problem when i was there...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
sd_amowat,

Thank you for providing your feedback. Please know, after seeing your comment, my housekeeping manager and I immediately refreshed the housekeeping team on what the "no-service" bag should look like...no longer packaging for a family of four! We hope to see you again soon, thank you so much for staying with us!
Marbella, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Residence Inn by Marriott in Plantation is another great Marroitt Hotel. Check inn went smoothly.
I was offered a bottle of water and a cookie together with my room key. The hotel was clean ( and yes, there was a slight moldy smell in the hall way, but that is very common in Florida). The bed was very comfortable with a good selection of pillows. The kitchen was well equipped. The (free) breakfast had something for every taste and the Social hour 4 days a week was a nice plus with fresh salad, a hot meal and a selection of beverages (soda, wine,coffe,beer ect.). The Broward Mall is just across the road (in walking distance), the beach and Sawgrass Mills 20 min. drive away and there are several restaurants in walking distance from the hotel. The entire staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
sol653,

Thank you so much for your feedback! I will be sure to pass on the nice words! We hope your travel brings you back soon! :)
Somerset, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

We stayed at the hotel for a week. The breakfast and weeknight meals are very good. The room was clean, though probably could use an update. The kitchen made staying inexpensively easy. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
marvs5,

Thank you for being our guest! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your return!

Been to Residence Inn Ft. Lauderdale Plantation? Share your experiences!