“Stuck in Elevator, Bug in Room!” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #5 of 14 hotels in Plantation
South Bend, Indiana
“Stuck in Elevator, Bug in Room!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

My stay at the Sheraton began at 1:30 am on Oct. 10, when my wife and I checked into our room, only to find a large, brown (beetle-like), and dead bug on our carpet in plain sight. Since it was dead, we decided to leave bug to be vacuumed (or picked) up the next day when the room would be cleaned. When we returned to our room in the afternoon, much to our disgust the but was still lying on the floor in plain sight of anyone who would enter the room (but apparently not the maid who was responsible for cleaning it). At that point, we threw the bug into the hallway, where surprisingly it was cleaned up by sometime the next day. In addition, my wife and I were stuck in an elevator on the 6th floor of the hotel for over 45 minutes on Sat., Oct. 12., sometime around 12:30 to 1 pm. After waiting for maintenance and a Manager (or Asst. Mgr.) who were attempting to open the door, it decided to unexpectedly open by itself. As my wife and I, hurried off of the elevator, we were greeted by an I'm sorry from the Mgr./Asst. Mgr. That is the only apology or acknowledgment that we received from anyone at the hotel or Sheraton, this in spite of the fact that I completed a survey for Sheraton on our stay, which went into much greater detail than this review! I would not come back to this hotel and I certainly would not recommend it to anyone, even my worst of enemies.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Zachary E, Manager at Sheraton Suites Plantation, Ft Lauderdale West, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
I would like to apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay. We pride ourselves on our service and will use these issues to further train our staff. We hope that when returning to South Florida you will allow us another chance to prove to you what the Sheraton Suites truly has to offer.

511 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Plantation, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Didn't expect the room to be the size it was. Enjoyed my stay and will recommend to all who ask. Great location, the atrium is awesome. We held an all-day conference here and accomodations were awesome. Loved the Starbucks coffee and teas in the room.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your review Annette W. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you go to experience the entire property. As we move into the cooler months in South Florida, the atrium is the best place to sit and relax. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Fort Lauderdale.
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Stayed for four nights at the end of September for a family get-together. We were impressed with the size of the room - nice sitting area, sofa, chair, desk. The room was equipped with refrigerator, microwave and keurig style coffee maker. The king sized bed was very comfortable and the room was immaculate.
The hotel was packed - lots of wedding groups and golfers for the weekend.
Having the roof top swimming pool was a bonus, especially this time of year when you never know when it might rain. On the same floor is a fairly well equipped gym.
There is fruit flavored water available in the lobby as well as a daily USA Today (nice touch)
I think the room had a good rate but not really sure because it was part of a bundled vacation through Southwest Airlines.
The only negative was the late room make up service. Two of the four days the room wasn't made up until 3pm. On the plus side, the staff was happy to provide us with extra towels and coffee.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
San Jose, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

This place is huge and it makes you think it's a deserted place. Overall conditions of the hotel is clean and up to date. Can't beat the price. Customer service is really good. I received 2 drinks vouchers. I would come back here and recommend this hotel.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I will again be staying at the wonderfull hotel on my birthday, 12/09/13 after a 15 night Transatlantic cruise. I love the roof top pool and hot tub. Also love they have Starbucks coffee in the room. I cant wait to get back to this hotel.
Will do a full review after my stay.
Norma

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I stayed 5 nights in September 2013 in this hotel, that is just owned by Sheraton, but operatded by a private operator.
This hotel is pretty nice, but :

The last day, I checked out, i had no charge to pay, and it was confirmed by the staff at the reception.
A few days later, i noticed that 18 dollars had been charged on my credit card.
It's simply unacceptable.
I spent 2 hours with the customer service ( phone ), they finally accepted to give me my money back , and recognized there was a problem.
I told them, that they should give me points on my Starwood card for the inconvenience.
Answer was : NO, sorry.

Is it a normal way to take care of customers?
there is no consideration.
so please, be careful when checking out in this hotel, as some other comments on tripadvisor notice this problem with this specific hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Hawthorne, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Sheraton Suites is a solid choice in the Fort Lauderdale/Plantation area, one that I would definitely return to. The rooms are one of the definite strong points - very nicely furnished, comfortable, well laid out, and functional. I made good use of the wet bar area complete with mini-fridge, microwave, and complimentary water and starbucks coffee. The bed was very comfortable, and the free wi-fi was appreciated, too. I would recommend asking for the street facing view to get more light and scenery – the room I was in had a view of the abandoned mall next door.

The gym was clean and bright, and the roof top pool looked great, but bad weather prevented me from getting to use it.

The price and location were other bonuses. The Westfield mall is in walking distance, and a Walgreens and a Macaroni Grill are even more nearby.

The only downer for me was the confusion regarding the shuttle service. I love that they offer free shuttle service within a 3 mile radius as well as to Sawgrass Mills shopping center, but what I did not love was the "when available" factor. It was kind of a let down that most of the times we wanted to go anywhere the shuttle was not available. When I called before booking to ask about airport shuttle service, I was told that they offer return shuttle trips to the airport, but when we checked out, the shuttle was not available for us then either, despite inquiring a good 6 hours in advance. I would love it if they could just set a few designated shuttle times and destinations a day that could be relied on. Otherwise it's a bit more of a hassle than a perk. With that said, I'd definitely recommend Sam who was the "go-to" taxi driver when the shuttle was not available - he was great!

Overall I had a great stay at Sheraton and would recommend it - especially for the rooms and the price.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sheraton Suites Plantation, Ft Lauderdale West? Share your experiences!