“Unexpected Luxury” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Plantation
Southbury, Connecticut
“Unexpected Luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotels dazzles from the moment you walk in the door.

The lobby is impeccably decorated and everything shines. The staff is consummately professional and friendly. Frankly, I felt a bit underdressed for my arrival at this very classy place.

The room was superb. It was indeed a "suite" consisting of a parlor/kitchenette, bathroom and bedroom. If needed, all areas could be closed off from one another. The room was spotless and beautifully appointed. The bed was gigantic and very comfortable.

The breakfast buffet was great, although a little pricey for breakfast fare. Then again, there was no need to buy lunch after such a hearty meal.

Be aware of the location however. In traffic, Fort Lauderdale beach is about 1/2 hour away.

This is, without a doubt, one of the nicest hotels I have ever visited. To top it all off, I got an excellent rate through Hotwire.

Room Tip: This hotel is rated 3 1/2 stars. Watch for that designation if your are bidding blind on a hotel in...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
DCortijo, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Suites Plantation, Ft Lauderdale West, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear REGT,

Is very flattering to receive such great recommendation from such an experience traveler. Thanks for your great comments; please stop by and visit us again!!
By the way… that really big comfortable bed is a Sheraton exclusive “Sheraton Sweet Sleeper” it is also sold for personal use thru the Starwood Website.

Warm Regards
David Cortijo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Hollywood, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

the hotel is pretty nice, service was great, rooms (or my was more like small appartment) were also nice and clean. another advantage was free swimming pool on the roof and small gym. The location is not perfect, nothing around, but my purpose was business and to stay close to offices, so it was ok. Breakfast could have more options but this i noticed only after 1 week of staying. if you are few nights then it is ok.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear MartinPestik,

Thanks for your review online. We do have an all suites property and it makes it very convenient for most travelers. I see you traveled in business to our area and will love to have you return when your travel plants take you back to the area.

Warm regards
Kings Langley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I booked a one night SPG reward stay at this hotel before a further stay in Weston and Naples. Easy to find location from the airport and good parking availability. The reception area was large and bright and I was made to feel very welcome as a valued guest at reception. I checked in late to the hotel without informing them but it was not an issue. The rooms are large, clean and catered for all my needs. I would definitely stay here again as the location is good for my regular visits to the area and accommodations are large and comfortable. A good stay.

Room Tip: SPG member
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
JPDKL,

Thanks for your great review, we are honored to be your home when in the area.
Hope to see you soon.

Regards
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

So, to start with the pros- the room itself was nice, although the spigot in the shower was coming out of the wall. It was spacious overall. Also, I arrived earlier than the published check in time, and was given a room right away.

Unfortunately, the cons outweighed the pros by a lot.

First, I was sitting in my room, and a housekeeping person just walked in without knocking or anything at about 2:45 in the afternoon!

Then One of the reasons I chose this hotel is because they said they had a shuttle to take guests within a 3 mile area. Thus, I did not rent a car. During check in, I asked about a shuttle, and they said I could book it through the bellman. However, there was never a bellman there. When I checked in, no bellman, when I came down again to try to book, no bellman, when I called to ask the desk to set up the shuttle, no bellman, and even upon checking out this morning- no bellman. When I called down from my room, the woman at the desk did not know where the shuttle was, or when it would be back, but she said she would call me back in 10 minutes, when she had more information. No call came. So, now needing to get to a meeting, I asked them to call me a cab. While waiting for the cab the shuttle pulled up and the driver, Ray, got out. I told him where I needed to go, and he looked at his watch and said, I'll have Tony take you in 2 minutes. So now, I am there, the shuttle is there, and no driver comes. Finally 7-10 minutes later Ray comes back because the cab pulls up. I state I don't want the cab if I can take a free shuttle. He says his shift is up, and the other driver, who has been in the lobby this whole time and was never told by him to take me, is making no move toward driving the shuttle. When I was going to the cab I complained and asked for his name, but he walked away and refused to give it to me. I found out his name was Ray, by walking in behind him to check his name tag. I then complained again at the desk and asked for a manager, who never came- as I had no time to wait and had to take the cab anyway. When I came back to the hotel later that night, there was never any apology from management.

There is water in the lobby, but no cups were out in the afternoon to drink the water.

The hotel was clearly not full, but I was given a room on the second floor with the view of the roof.

One of the TV remotes did not work.

I don't know if they are seriously understaffed, lazy, or just plain rude- but I will never stay at this property again. I was there for work, and have made sure to let the next person who comes down to the area know not to stay here either. I also told the people in Fort Lauderdale, who recommended it, to take it off their list of recommended hotels. I should have stayed at the Renaissance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Christine A

Thanks for your honest comments, I'm sad to see our service fell short. Please accept my apologies on behalf of our hotel. I will make sure the proper measures are taking to correct this behavior.

Bogota, Colombia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

we chose the Sheraton for our arrival to Fort Lauderdale the night prior for our vacation to the Bahamas. We were really late coming from the airport and I called ahead to say that we would arrive after 11pm, but I got immediately transferred and was left for 7 minutes listening to music and finally hang up, calling from my cell phone with roaming costs. That was disappointing and unnecessary. We had booked a suite so that the kids could sleep on the sofa bed. The size of the suite was ok, the king size bed very comfortable and accomplishing Sheraton's promise of special comfort with their SweetSleeper bed.
A minus was that after midnight no one was answering the phone anymore calling the reception from the room.
The breakfast bufett was included, it was ok, but nothing special at all.
What I have noticed in several Sheratons now that the corridors to the rooms have an awful flair, like student dorms appearence. Why is that?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear SusanneVIE

Thanks for sharing this way your experience with us. Early in the month we were experiencing some phone system challenges, I apologize you were affected by it.
Glad you enjoyed the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper. We are getting ready to renovate the hotel, "the new face of the Sheraton Suites Plantation is just around the corner"

Sincerely
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

hotel is really nice friendly staff , they clean your room pretty late , 45 minutes from south beach , 30 minutes to Fort Lauderdale beach , room service closes early... pool on 9th floor and fitness center , plenty of free parking and wifi is good

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
DCortijo, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Suites Plantation, Ft Lauderdale West, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Bugzy130,
Thanks for sharing your feedback about your recent stay at our property. We are glad to see you enjoyed our services on the top floor and spacious parking/garage and free Wi-Fi. We are located 30 miles from South Beach and only 13 from Fort Lauderdale Beach. Our food-service hours are being currently revised to add more flexibility and options. Next time you visit us feel free to let the front desk know a time frame is convenient for you to have your room serviced and will adhere to your schedule.
Thanks for a great review!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed here one night pre-cruise and liked it very much. Beautiful lobby, very clean & spacious rooms, friendly staff. Loved the location with many restaurants, drugstores, etc. close by. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
DCortijo, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Suites Plantation, Ft Lauderdale West, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Lovetocruise21

Thanks for your great review regarding your recent stay with us. Please count with us when your travel plans bring you back in the area.

Best regards
David Cortijo

Been to Sheraton Suites Plantation, Ft Lauderdale West? Share your experiences!