“Nice Hotel - Great Service!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #2 of 14 hotels in Plantation
Orlando, Florida
“Nice Hotel - Great Service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We were in Plantation for a family wedding. The couple had suggested and reserved rooms at the Hyatt but we got a much better rate at the Renaissance. Check in went smoothly and the room was great. The bedding could use some help. At this nice of a hotel I would have expected at least as good as a Hampton, Double Tree or Embassy Suites. The mattress was very hard and the pillows small foam with a mix of two softer pillows.

The highlight of our overnight was Sunday brunch at the restaurant. Called Bin 595 the breakfast buffet was superior and when considering the price, $15.95, which includes coffee and fresh squeezed OJ, a downright bargain.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

348 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Lakeville, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

we had reserved two rooms for the meeting we were in town to attend. the hotel was fully booked and so people were being asked to wait for their rooms to be serviced before getting their room keys. standing there with two young kids anxious to get into the pool and enjoy the Florida weather, the check in agent recognized the situation at hand and stepped away for a bit and came back with two room keys for adjoining rooms that we could enter immediately. Being responsive to special needs is huge in my book. .

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
kenelizondo, Director of Sales at Renaissance Plantation Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
We are extremely happy that your family was able to have a delightful experience with us! Each ambassador at the Renaissance-Plantation Hotel takes great pride in providing exceptional service that we deliver for all of our guests. We appreciate the great review and look forward to welcoming you back!

Delightfully
Kenneth Elizondo
Director of Sales and Marketing
Ashburn, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We have stayed here many times, and stayed again in February 2013 when in town for the Jimmy Buffet concert. It seems the level of service/friendliness has dropped at this property.

When I checked in, the clerk was efficient, but nothing more, and I did overhear another clerk let another guest know about restaurant hours, etc. The clerk checking me in did not let me know about any of the facilities at the property. I am Platinum Premier with Marriott Rewards, but was not offered my Platinum arrival gift. I reminded the clerk that I had requested additional feather pillows and she said she would have them sent to the room. I'm glad I said something at check-in as they were not in my room, but delivered about ten minutes after we got to our room. This property always gave us coupons for free breakfast on weekends when the concierge lounge was closed. I inquired and was told they no longer do that. I was given a pre-printed voucher, specifically for Marriott Rewards Members, to receive breakfast for the two of us at a discounted rate. Our stay was for two nights, but maybe she somehow knew we were leaving very early that last morning!

The morning after I checked in I stopped at the front desk to let them know I had not received my Platinum gift, and the clerk was very friendly and stated she wanted to make sure my number was on the reservation, which I knew it was. She promptly asked which gift I would like.

The concierge lounge at this property closes at 1100 on Friday and does not reopen until Sunday evening. Unlike many other properties, they actually lock the lounge. I was looking forward to a cold bottle of water when we arrived, but no such luck! It would be nice if they left the lounge unlocked, even if they didn't have the water and soft drinks available. There is a computer and printer in the lounge, and we needed to print something, but couldn't get in. There are two computers and printers, free of charge, just off the lobby. Fortunately there was no line to use them when my husband went down to print.

I was given a room on the concierge (ninth) floor. The room was quiet and decent-sized. There was a safe, mini-fridge, coffee maker (with amenities), and a bottle of water in the room. There were ample Aveda amenities in the bathroom. Room was clean and comfortable, and towels nice. I had free Wi-Fi due to my status. I had problems logging on - Instructions were to put in first and last name, as well as room number. I received several error messages, so I called down to let them know. I was given a code to use, which was valid for all devices the entire length of our stay. The next morning my husband had problems when he tried to use my name and the room number. I began to wonder if they somehow had my name misspelled! When I stopped at the desk in the morning, the clerk checked to make sure my name was spelled correctly and then told me that another guest was having the same problem. She thanked me for letting her know about the problem. There is free Wi-Fi in the lobby.

A big reason we stayed here is because of the pool. We were only in town for one day and wanted to get some sun without having to go to the beach. The pool gets sun for most of the day, so we grabbed a couple chairs and made a day of it. Would be nice if the hotel posted some "no smoking" signs. If I'm not mistaken, the pool area is supposed to be no smoking, like the rest of the hotel. There is a phone at the pool and you can order food and drinks for delivery. This is not a resort, so there are no pool servers/attendants wandering around waiting to take orders.

As others have stated, there aren't many restaurants around the hotel, but there are quite a few you can get to in a few minutes if you have a car. I believe there is a Starbucks in the hotel. The property is convenient to the Ft. Lauderdale airport - About a ten minute drive.

When we got to our floor, I could smell what seemed to be a "new carpet smell". I could smell it in our room also. I didn't notice it so much the next day as I guess I got used to it, but it was powerful that first night. The hotel has been recently updated, as evidenced in the common areas. During past stays there always seemed to be someone in the lobby to great you as you came and went, but I didn't see that this time around. We checked out around 0415 and had no problems. I had not received my bill under the door, and the clerk had no problems pulling up my statement. I'm sure we'll be back, I just miss some of the perks!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks much for sharing your experiences with us. We will consider your feedback and take a look at some of those items commented on. Please let us know in advance should you return and allow us to prepare for your arrival to ensure you have the most delightful stay. Again, thank you for your comments and look forward to seeing you again.

Delightfully
Kenneth Elizondo
Director of Sales and Marketing
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We are locals who had gotten a room for one night to celebrate a birthday. The hotel has a lot of high end decor in it's lobby and rooms, I found it to be pretty clean overall. No free Wifi and a couple of other things were a little off considering the rates. We went down to the front desk at night to ask for a taxi to the hard rock, and the concierge "navigator" warned us that the taxi's would charge $40 each way. If I wasn't from the area I probably wouldn't have known better, but I know it's only 8 miles away, and no milage rate was that ridiculous. He of course "Knew a guy" with a shuttle service that would charge less, and called for us. Twenty long minutes later, a plain white van pulled up and drove us to the hard rock. It was $20. We ended up taking a cab back to the hotel because the shuttle service decided theyweren't availible after 11. The cab was $20. It wasn't a huge deal, but it just left a bad taste in my mouth that this guy was trying to scam people to use a service that he probably gets a kickback from, and if I was a tourist I wouldn't have known any better.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed one night at the Renaissance Plantation Fort Lauderdale and it is a beautiful hotels. The showers were newly renovated and comfortable and the room was large. The lobby is large and nicely done. The hotel is conveniently located near the highway and is a short drive from the largest outlet mall in the US and many restaurants.

The hotel has a Starbucks and a restaurant but breakfast is not included in the price. If you do not mind spending $10 (each) on a muffin and a coffee at Starbucks than that's fine but for the price pf $200 a night breakfast should ABSOLUTELY be included. Also should be included is an Internet connection. What's with those hotels (and airports) that charge you extra for this very basic service?

The hotel was quite and comfortable but we were lucky. In the room next to us was a couple and we could hear every conversation they had. Lucky for us they were quiet and went to sleep early. The walls are so thin that a average conversation can be easily heard. Not good if you have party people occupying the room next to you.

Room Tip: Try to get a corner room so your bed is not against an adjacent wall.