“Horrified” 2 of 5 stars

Pre/Post Cruise Package
Ranked #5 of 14 hotels in Plantation
“Horrified”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

I was greeted at the reception desk by a member of staff who thought it was hilarious to put on a fake British accent. Not the most professional way to represent the Hyatt brand and a greeting i found to be offensive (i am English) I usually stay in Hilton hotels but having found this hotel at a great place i had decided to give it a try. This was not a good start. The rest of my stay was ok - the rooms are nice and the hotel is in a great location. When i left the room to check out the next day, the whole of the corridor smelled of WEED. The smell was extremely strong and basically you could smell it strongly along the whole of the hallway - all the way to the elevators. I mentioned it to the receptionist and he confirmed the night security had noticed the same smell. To be honest, my experience at this hotel has made me realize i should not be tempted by a 'good price' when booking a hotel. Whilst value is important, great service should be equally important. As a guest, a hotel corridor stinking of weed should in my opinion, at least have merited a call to local police. I was disappointed with my experience at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
HyattPlace G, General Manager at Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale / Plantation, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Please accept our sincere apology for you having issues with service along with another guest smoking. We did address the issue regarding the guest smoking, which resulted in the guest be evicted from the hotel. We then had our houskeeping department work on elimnating the smell which did take some time to eliminate the odor from the hotel.

I have addressed the issue with the Front Desk staff regarding service and can assure you this issue will be eliminated from happening in the future. Again, I sincerely apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay and can assure you they have been addressed.

278 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Third time staying at a Hyatt Place, but first time at the Plantation property. The best part about this chain is the size of the rooms with a separate sleeping/sitting area. For the price you can't beat the value and we esp. like the complimentary breakfast, parking and wifi at this property. Had a small problem in that the remote for the TV didn't work and due to some miscommunication on the part of the hotel, it was never fixed. That said, when I expressed my disappointment on the way out, I was offered a 20% discount off of my stay - so problem not solved, but I left happy anyways. Nice location close to Ft. Lauderdale and there's a decent shopping mall etc. walking distance away.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We are so pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us especially the guest rooms and service.

We are looking forward to having you as our guest again in the near future.

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

I am writing this from the Holiday Inn, where we ended up after being rudely bumped from the Hyatt.
We arrived after 9 PM after flying all day (an hour and half delay out of LAX) en route to the funeral for my husband's father. We made the Hyatt reservation four days ago, when we knew we had to be here. We were greeted with "Unfortunately....." as the female desk clerk languidly explained that they had no room for us but had arranged for us to stay elsewhere and come back the next night. When we objected to this arrangement and showed our booking confirmation, she had no help to offer. It was 'first come first served.' Really? Then she proceded to check in several groups that arrived after us with all their luggage.
I explained the reason for our visit - death in family..
The other clerk, a young man named Joey, turned to us and said 'Bye!' in a tone of total condescension. It went downhill from there, with him muttering that we were "a--holes" and my husband getting understandably upset.
At 10 PM we checked into the Holiday Inn and Suites Plantation, where we have stayed before and where I am writing this.
I will be contacting the Hyatt organization and pursuing this further after I get home in a few days.

• Stayed May 2013
HyattPlace G, General Manager at Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale / Plantation, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I want to extend my sincere apology for our hotel not being able to honor your reservation and for you not receiving the highest level of customer service from our staff. I will be addressing the issue with our Front Desk Staff.

We strive to be able to accommodate all of our guests that have reservations. In the event, the hotel does end up over committed, the hotel will pay for your overnight accommodations at an alternative hotel.

Again, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience along with how your reservation was handled.

Hickory Creek, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

By far the most pleasant staff! Andy and the entire crew were amazing. It's nice to see people offer to do things that you just don't expect. Andy even asked me about my daughter the next morning. I had mentioned she as putting in an offer on a house while I was on the shuttle. Good location and very clean.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent stay at the Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale/Plantation. I am so pleased to know you enjoyed your stay especially the service from Andy.

We are looking forward to having you as our guest again in the future.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

The service at this hotel was nothing short of impeccable. I had the pleasure of interacting with Andy and Nicole at the front desk and both were friendly, polite and very helpful. We did not get the opportunity to sample the breakfast buffet however, the 24/7 gallery menu items were freshly prepared and delicious. The complimentary wifi was fast and reliable. The location of this hotel was convenient for both shopping and dining and was only a short distance away from the FLL airport. Overall, I would definitely recommend this property to any friends and family who will visit this area in the future.Thanks so much to Andy and Nicole and the rest of the amazing staff for making our stay extremely comfortable!

Best regards from Montreal.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
HyattPlace G, General Manager at Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale / Plantation, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We are so pleased to know you enjoyed your stay especially the customer service provided by Andy and Nicole along with our new 24/7 menu. I will ensure that we recognize Nicole and Andy.

Thank you also for recommending our hotel to your friends and family. We are looking forward to having you as our guest again in the future.

Webster, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

The biggest problem I have, there was no way to get a microwave in my room. I had access to the lobby microwave that is available 24 hours a day. I do not like to wait to be able to heat dinner or lunch while working in my room. My room was on the 4th floor and was quiet and clean. The only problem with the room was I had to make sure I closed the door tight when leaving. My door would not close all the way without having to pull on it after I exit the room. The staff was very nice and helpful. My overall experience was good. I would suggest this hotel to anyone needing to stay in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
HyattPlace G, General Manager at Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale / Plantation, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I am pleased to know that overall you enjoyed your "quiet, clean" room along with the staff service.

I am going to address your concern with not having microwaves in the rooms with our corporate office. Although as you know we do have a microwave along with all the plates, silverware and glasses in our guest kitchen, I understand that this may no be convenient.

We are looking forward to having you as our guest again in the near future.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I was on a business trip in Plantation and had decided to stay at Hyatt hotel.
Overall I'm very happy with my decision.

I found the room (standard) very convenient for my needs. It has a working space which was a nice bonus (I had to work and it really helped to have this corner). The room was clean as it should be.

I found that WiFi in some of the hotels I’ve been can be very annoying even if it is complimentary. In this hotel it was easy to connect without any password, it was fast and reliable.

The hotel staff is awesome.

One comment and one suggestion:
1) The equipment in the fitness center is quiet old and it is frustrating to use it. The room gets stuffy. I've seen much better fitness centers.
2) The breakfast buffet is not vegan friendly – no substitutes for milks and eggs. The hotel might consider adding non-dairy product like almond milk , vegetables, pastries and tag them as vegan.
To be honest, I must say I didn’t ask the hotel staff – I’m sure they would have done the best to help if I did.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

We are please to know that you enjoyed your stay with us especially the complimentary internet that you found to be "fast and easy to connect to" along with the "Awesome Staff".

I am also going to bring your suggestions about adding "vegan" items to the complimentary hot breakfast to our corporate office. We do have fresh fruit, yogurt, oatmeal and a few options but we will look into what else we can add that is "vegan" friendly.

We are looking forward to having you as our guest again in the future.

Sean Pischeda

Been to Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale / Plantation? Share your experiences!