“Roach Motel!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Knights Inn

Knights Inn
You added Knights Inn to your Saves list
Knights Inn
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   301 South Frontage Rd., Plant City, FL 33566 (Formerly Days Inn Plant City)   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Plant City
Florida
“Roach Motel!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2007

My family stayed at this hotel on June 1st-1 night. We stayed in a non-smoking room that smelled like a bar.(speaking of bar, the music from the outside bar screamed music well into the night.) We counted cockroaches on the floor. My mother in law had the room next to us, it did not have roaches, but had a dirty washcloth left in the shower and her room smelled worse than ours!
We decided to go for a swim in the pool, and as we were swimming, we noticed that the Health Dept. Left a notice that the pool was closed! We called down to the front desk and the clerk was not aware that they had closed it. She called our room a few minutes later and said that it was open, however, no one removed the sign! My advice, STAY AWAY! Stay in neiboring towns or the 2 other hotels, or look for a B&B.

Stayed June 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2007

Wow. This was THE most disgusting hotel i've ever stayed in. I walked in and my room smelled of mold, there were body fluid stains on my bedspread, holes in one of the thick blankets, dirt on the floor, a SQUISHED COCKROACH on the wall that had never been cleaned, broken towel rack, no clock, shower leaked all over the floor, no iron, and I was greeted one night by a live cockroach that ran at me as I entered the hotel room. Perhaps their maids all quit? Deplorable conditions, please stay elsewhere. Comfort Inn Plant City is 100% better and cleaner. There are also many nice hotels in Lakeland, FL which is not too far away. ONE PLUS= the staff was very nice.

• Liked — Front desk staff
  • Disliked — Everything else--room, food, etc.
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Royal Oak, MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2007

Our stay here included one night in a non-smoking king room on the second floor. Of the three rooms used by other family members, ours was voted “best”. “Best”, in this case, appears to mean: 1) relatively few (though still some) unidentifiable stains on the walls, bed sheets, sink, and shower, 2) inclusion of an alarm clock, 3) properly working deadbolt and chain, 4) no strangers peering in the window, 5) Unobjectionable room odor – all of which were complaints by other members of our party. Our room did, however, have a disconcerting “soft spot” in the floorboards near the bathroom entrance, a small but clearly identifiable blood stain on one of the pillow cases, sand papery bathroom tissue and towels, and a general ickyness that, though not all consuming, was hard to escape while awake in the room. A male in my party preferred a makeshift pillowcase of his own sweaty running t-shirt over the questionably clean pillowcase provided in his room. I suppose the argument goes something like this: “At least I know whose body fluids I am resting my head on.” While we’ve all seen the TV exposés about how inherently dirty even upscale hotels are, this establishment makes no pretense of trying to hide their filth. Perhaps they should be applauded for their transparency.

The grounds of this hotel were equally upsetting. The lobby was worn down with excessively weathered furniture. The front desk included a curious, kindergartenish diorama of the hotel grounds. The “dining room”, where the complimentary continental breakfast was held, reminded me of an abandoned summer camp mess hall/storage room. The breakfast itself was, at best, passable (cereal, individually wrapped donuts/muffins, coffee, milk and apple juice in properly chilled pitchers, self-serve toast station, an inoperable orange juice machine, Styrofoam bowls, and plastic spoons). The exterior of the advertised “Poolside Tiki Bar” was laughable (the sign on this poolside structure appeared to be written with a can of black spray paint on the concrete wall), though I cannot speak for the inside as it appeared to be closed. There were also reports of a woman drinking water out of the pool and a condom wrapper near one of the lounge chairs.

The only hotel employee that I saw during my brief stay was the harmlessly proficient woman at the front desk. Perhaps this staffing arrangement gives you some indication of the value this establishment places on service and cleanliness. I would second an earlier reviewers recommendation that unaccompanied women not stay here – the grounds are dimly lit, there is easy access to the highway, and there appears to be a high volume of trucker traffic. Were it not for the earlier mention of two men peering in one of the room windows and the poolside condom wrapper I might let this last point slide. I have nothing against truckers, but this is the kind of place that I could see lonely long-hauling men seeking respite and “company”.

Still inexplicable to me was the FREE wireless internet connection on the grounds! – a nice touch, though a perplexingly bizarre juxtaposition to the otherwise bare bones nature of this hotel.

At a pre-paid/no cancellation weekday rate of about 75 dollars I didn’t expect much, but much more than this. The makeshift pillow-case man mentioned above stated, “I would have rather pitched a tent in my granny’s backyard than stay here.” Not much of a camper myself I am not sure I would go this far, but I can hardly fault his reasoning.

• Liked — Free WIFI
  • Disliked — FIlth
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hamburg, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2007

We stayed at this motel on Feb 16th and it was the worst I ever stayed in. Not only was it completely overpriced for such a bad location with train noise throughout the night but it was also dirty. During the night we heard cockroaches or mice running through the room and the next morning when we wanted to have breakfast there we saw that all bagels were old and had to be used by one week earlier. If we had not such a problem finding a place this night we would have never choosen this one. We had very bad experiences with Days Inn motels before.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2006

Unchanged sheets, dirty, smelly & grits for breakfast! Shame really as the pool and bar area made it look quite pleasant.

• Stayed November 2005
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2005

I was afraid to take a shower-- wasn't sure the fungus was going to attack or not. Not sure when the bed was last cleaned... I turned down the bed a a piece of nickle coin wrap came out... I don't carry coins in bulk. They advertise breakfast -- and yes they have it ... if you like day old doughnuts... would not advise a single women to stay there. When my brothers packed up after one night -- so did I and slept on a couch.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2005

There was vomit in the room, mud and hair on the bathroom floor and exposed wired on an electric outlet. Should be condemned.

• Stayed March 2004

Been to Knights Inn? Share your experiences!