“Fun dockside dining” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 10 Restaurants in Perdido Key
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Doing business, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Knoxville
“Fun dockside dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

We ate at Sunset Grille twice this weekend while boating and fishing out of Holiday Harbor Marina.

The place has immediate charm, nestled on the banks of the Intracoastal Waterway and overlooking a small island. The first thing I noticed as we docked was the outdoor eating areas surrounded by clean white handrails. While there is indoor seating, the outdoor eating areas are obviously preferred. The Grille was well maintained and clean. The feel of the restaurant is what I would call "beachy-casual".

We had the same waitress for lunch the first day and dinner the second and my 12 y/o noticed "she's got a lot of pep". She was prompt, friendly and gave good service both days.

The menu is straightforward and basic. Fried, grilled, or blacked seafood in platters or po-boys. Then sandwiches chicken tenders, and a few other items. The sides are your basic fires, slaw, onion rings, and such.

For lunch I went with the 1/2 lb Sunset burger that came with lettuce & tomato, pickle slice and fries. They only sell that burger and then you can upgrade it ala cart with cheeses, bacon, etc for additional chargers. The toppings were fresh and the burger hefty but the beef didn't have a lot of flavor. A little salt on the patty rectified that. The fries were crispy and hot. My son also got the burger and loved his. Father in law got the philly cheese and while he liked it, thought it was light on the steak.

For dinner, my son asked if we could go back to the Sunset Grille. I got the blackened chicken sandwich, which was my favorite thing I ate all weekend. Highly seasoned and perfectly cooked, it was as good as if I made it myself. My father in law got the grouper rueben and enjoyed it. My son repeated the Sunset Burger.

As we finished eating, the sun was just setting over Orange Beach and silhouetting the island, showing us the brilliant namesake of the Grille.

I had noticed a few reviews online saying the food was "overpriced". From what I saw the prices were in line with any casual restaurant chain which have no where near the charm and view. This place is exactly perfect as they are..."beachy casual".

• Visited December 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Marietta GA
“Great food & friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

This is one of the friendliest places in Perdido Key, plus they have great food and a waterfront view. Now that's a combination that's hard to beat. Casual, moderate prices, indoor or outdoor dining, accessible by boat or car...just a good all-around place to eat. Bring the family for a fun time & walk along the dock or bring your sweetie & enjoy a romantic sunset. This is the place!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Great views, food just okay.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

As everyone says the views are great and the sunset is tremendous but like some others i agree the food is hit or miss and just okay. Our server was very nice and helpful and it did not take long for the food to arrive. If you want nice views, maybe some appetizers and some drinks this could be the place for you.

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great Views, Laid Back and They Allow Pets”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

My family comes to Perdido Key about 6 times a year and we look forward to eating at the Sunset Grille. It's right on the water and we can go there by boat and they allow us to bring our dog. They seating area faces west and is famous for its afternoon views.

Their menu has fried seafood, poboys, gumbo, sandwiches and hamburgers, all of which are good and moderately priced.

The seating is mostly covered-open-air, but there is a small inside area that has AC. and they also enclose one of the porches when the weather get cold.

If you're looking for a fancy place to eat with a large menu, you're at the wrong place. But if you looking for a laid back place to have a great view, good food and friendly atmosphere, I suggest you try Sunset Grille.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Derby
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

I have eaten here twice in the last few days and it has been fantastic, the grouper has been excellent both times and the view is wonderful.

• 5 of 5 stars Food