“Not Impressed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 60 hotels in Pensacola
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Not Impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

This was the second time I stayed at this particular Courtyard, and while my first visit was better, this one would likely prevent me from returning. First, I'd like to say that the staff at this hotel is wonderful. They are friendly, welcoming, and are eager to assist.

Here were some of my issues:

1. The wifi was spotty and wouldn't connect at all on the third night. I was in town on business and needed the wifi to work. They know that there are areas of the building where wifi works better than others because they mentioned this to my colleague. I ended up having to use my cellular hotspot. I'd rather pay for wifi in the hotel and have it work than have the frustration of non-working wifi.

2. During this trip, they only had a two queen bed room available. In this setup, the bed faces the wall where there is a smoke detector that has green flashing lights that blink all day and night. This may not bother everyone, but I had to go to great lengths to solve this problem. The front-desk clerk indicated that it was a common complaint too. The lights blink through bandaids and I finally had to drape 3 hand towels over top of it until I couldn't see them any more. I didn't have this experience in the King room because the bed faces the window instead of the wall.

3. There was no television channel guide. This seems small but can be incredibly frustrating when you are staying somewhere unfamillair for three nights. Of course, you can ultimately get one, but isn't it easier on the guest to have one already in the room?

4. When I returned to my room one evening, my window was open. It was incredibly foggy outside and the room was moist. It was a small mistake by housekeeping, but added to an already less than stellar experience.

Of course there are always warm cookies and coffee available and this hotel was clean and nice. I would still return but would want some of these issues resolved (especially the wifi)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
gmpensacola, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Pensacola, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Hello my name is Joshua Trawick, the Assistant General Manager here at the Pensacola Courtyard by Marriott. I see the review you left for my Hotel and I am truly sorry about this inconvenience that occurred during your last stay with us.
After reading this review I took a moment to go into one of our 2 double bed rooms and did not see the fire alarm light that you mentioned in this review. To help me make improvements for future guest, would you be so kind as to let me know which room number you stayed in? This way I can have my maintenance person make changes to the place setting of the alarm.
As for the Internet I am very sorry about this issue, we have been going through vigorous changes and improvements in regards to our internet service. Over the past few months we have made much progress with speed upgrades but unfortunately it seems there are still some knots to work out in the system and I am sorry again that you had to face this progress delay.
In the recent months we have upgraded our Cox Communications service to HD Television, so the channels on our originally TV channel guide have changed. We have just recently received our new TV channel guides for the in room Guest Directory’s. We have been working to replace all the old channel guides to prevent dilemmas for the guest such as you.
Thank you for the compliment on our staff service, I read the review during one of our staff meetings and it made a lot of people smile to know that the little things they keep doing for the guest have been noticed.
I want to thank you for staying with us both times that you have come to the Pensacola area, I know this last stay has left you a bit upset and all I can do is say that I am sorry and moving forward I am trying my hardest to make improvements throughout the hotel in regards to the Internet and the room arrangements.
I hope to hear from you as soon as possible so I can begin making improvements to the room that you last stayed in.

Joshua A. Trawick
Assistant General Manager
Courtyard by Marriott
Pensacola, FL
451 Creighton Rd

105 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I've been traveling to Pensacola for almost 8 years and I must say this hotel is the best in Pensacola. Occasionally I stay at other hotels in the area just to check out other options, but I always end up returning to this hotel. The staff is great, the management is truly professional (they even remembered my name after 12 months!), and the rooms and hotel are always immaculate. The recent renovation gives the hotel such a clean, lively and fresh attitude. I highly recommend this hotel for any travelers to the Pensacola area - especially business types!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I made a road trip from Miami to San Antonio, my first stop was in Pensacola I stayed in the Courtyard because I'm a gold reward member with Marriott. And I was greatly surprised by this one (I stayed in Beaumont Texas for my second stop in a Courtyard as well but not nearly as good) All the courtyard layouts are the same, but this one was super clean, looked almost new and the bed was great.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

If I were to go back to Pensacola I would probably stay in Pensacola Beach, it's really nice. But I was in town for business and this was a good hotel not too far from the hospital. The staff was nice. the pool is indoors, not sure why. the location is convenient to the freeway but not for walking anywhere.

• Stayed September 2012
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We loved our stay at this Courtyard. The rooms are spacious and clean and the decor is very warm and pleasant. Everything looks brand new from the moment you walk in the lobby.
The hotel is convenient to I10, the local mall as well as the airport. It is also located a short and easy 15 minutes drive to downtown on I110

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Just spent one night. Front entrace was closed due to work on the floor surface outside; I took that to be a good sign that they keep up with maintenance of the facility. Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Room was good, typical of my experience with Courtyards. Exercise room only had two treadmills and a bike. I don't know if the treadmills were still broken as another reviewer commented since I was looking for some weights of which they had none. Location is okay. It was convenient for me on this trip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Curacao
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Stayed here 1 night, to watch a minor league game. We didn't expect much, but to our surprise the hotel room was big and clean. No complains from us for the room, everything was good during our night. Will stay here again

Room Tip: The room was nice