“Sleepless in Pensacola!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 60 hotels in Pensacola
Toronto, Canada
“Sleepless in Pensacola!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed in room 1217 and every night (around 4am) the train rumbles in and makes so much noise (train horns and noise) that you can't sleep. The worst part about it is that the front desk doesn't tell you about it at all and when I approached them, they offered me earbuds. Obviously they are keenly aware of this issue, but choose not to mention it and instead point to a "placard" on the wall that mentions of a train station "in use". They continue to tell me that they have different "levels" of rooms (3 in total I think they mentioned) and it relates to decibel level of the train. I will never come back and I advise you to consider this. I'm not the lightest sleeper, but I am being honest when I tell you that you will not sleep well if you have a room on this side of the hotel. Better to find a different hotel that doesn't have this issue even if it costs a few dollars more .. it's money well spent. At least you will be able to sleep.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms close to the train tracks.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

200 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Palm City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stayed here two nights (second time staying at this hotel) for business and I love the history and beauty of this hotel, location, and the service was great too. The rooms are nice and cozy and the views are spectacular. HOWEVER...the damn train whistle is just too loud and frequent for me and not condusive to a good night's sleep. I really do love this hotel and I love the Crowne Plaza brand and I gave this hotel two trys but unfortunately I will not be returning to this hotel simply because of the train noise. If it wasn't for that...OMG...It would be FABULOUS.

Room Tip: Well, the best rooms obviously are in the middle away from the train tracks but...BUT...you still do...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
los angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding. Downtown is close, but too far to walk in heels. The room was spacious and the bed was comfy, mini fridge was a nice bonus. Staff is all super friendly. Only complaint is the decor. The hotel is quite dated and could use a facelift. It felt very dark in the lobby.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a view of the gulf.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I was a guest at the Crowned Plaza for one night while in town for a conference, also held at the hotel.

This property is gorgeous. I loved the historic quality of the hotel. The lobby is beautiful. The historic photos are very interesting. The guest rooms are very nice.

Now for the negative, and for a traveling woman who needs her sleep, this is a big negative. The hotel is sandwiched between I-110 and an active rail line. See photos. I don't mean that these two features are blocks away. They are right adjacent to the hotel. At about 9 pm I was sitting in my room enjoying television when a train rolled through. OMG. The noise shook the windows on the 10th floor and the whistle was incredibly loud. This happened twice during the night and again at 5 am, at which time I gave up on sleep. When the first train came through at 9 I went to the desk to ask about the train schedule. The desk clerk was not aware of the schedule but did offer handy-dandy ear plugs.

Not getting sleep is a big deal for me, especially when I'm traveling for work and especially when I've paid a ridiculous amount of money to not sleep.

Again, gorgeous hotel, but maybe just visit to look at the photos and get a room at someplace WAY on the other side of the tracks.

• Stayed September 2012
Pace, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

This was my first stay at the Pensacola Grand. I had wanted to all my life and finally decided to since my wife and I were going to a concert at the Civic Center next door I decided that it would be a nice treat to stay there after the concert.

Check in was quick and easy and the staff was friendly. We got to our room later that night because we were running late for the concert. We had a room on the ninth floor and as soon as we exited the elevator the smell of cigarette smoke immediately hit you. This made me very nervous about the room because I am extremely allergic to the smell of cigarette smoke. When we got to the room the smell wasn't quite as bad inside the room as long as the A/C was running. The moment the A/C stopped running you could smell the smoke again. So we just set the A/C lower then we would normally have liked just to keep the smell out of the room so we wouldn't get sick.

Ended up having to call the front desk due to noisy neighbors that were having a party in their room at 1AM. Security came up quickly and addressed the issue.

The bed and pillows are definitely not the most comfortable. This seems to be a general problem with Crowne Plaza hotels that I've stayed in.

The room was spacious enough and included a flat screen TV. The view overlooking the Civic Center and downtown was nice but would definitely like to try an even higher floor to get the full view.

Room service was decent (although 2.25 for a 12oz can Coke is WAY too high). Food was hot and fresh even at 11:00PM and the food was delivered quickly.

Overall it was a decent hotel. Not sure if I would stay again or not. Would definitely need a room that didn't smell like smoke.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor facing downtown for the best view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Pensacola Grand, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear bishoparc,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am so glad you liked the friendliness of our staff. Your comments encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. Please allow me apologize for the issues you had with your room accommodations and any inconvenience may have caused you. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

The staff was very helpful and friendly. We really appreciated their reviews and suggestions.
We enjoyed our stay at this hotel last weekend. The sheets seemed rough and the walls seemed thin. So, except for having a loud bunch next door, it was good!

Room Tip: All face the water!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I like this hotel. It is very comfortable and easy to find. Personally, I'm a big fan of converted train stations as they typically have a very "classic" vibe. That is true for the lobby of this hotel. As a PC Platinum member, I was upgraded to a room on the 14th floor. I found the room to be very clean and the view was terrific. I did not have any issues with the trains passing by overnight as others have mentioned. Upon arrival, I was early and could not get into the room before check-in. No problem for me since the beach is only a 10-15 minute drive. The front desk staff was very courteous in welcoming me when I was able to check-in. I was not as impressed with the checkout team, but overall I was satisfied. The room was the highlight because the bed was perfect. I would do it allover again in an instant.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Pensacola Grand? Share your experiences!