“Beautiful BUT OH MY, THE NOISE” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #18 of 60 hotels in Pensacola
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
“Beautiful BUT OH MY, THE NOISE”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I was a guest at the Crowned Plaza for one night while in town for a conference, also held at the hotel.

This property is gorgeous. I loved the historic quality of the hotel. The lobby is beautiful. The historic photos are very interesting. The guest rooms are very nice.

Now for the negative, and for a traveling woman who needs her sleep, this is a big negative. The hotel is sandwiched between I-110 and an active rail line. See photos. I don't mean that these two features are blocks away. They are right adjacent to the hotel. At about 9 pm I was sitting in my room enjoying television when a train rolled through. OMG. The noise shook the windows on the 10th floor and the whistle was incredibly loud. This happened twice during the night and again at 5 am, at which time I gave up on sleep. When the first train came through at 9 I went to the desk to ask about the train schedule. The desk clerk was not aware of the schedule but did offer handy-dandy ear plugs.

Not getting sleep is a big deal for me, especially when I'm traveling for work and especially when I've paid a ridiculous amount of money to not sleep.

Again, gorgeous hotel, but maybe just visit to look at the photos and get a room at someplace WAY on the other side of the tracks.

• Stayed September 2012

195 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Pace, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

This was my first stay at the Pensacola Grand. I had wanted to all my life and finally decided to since my wife and I were going to a concert at the Civic Center next door I decided that it would be a nice treat to stay there after the concert.

Check in was quick and easy and the staff was friendly. We got to our room later that night because we were running late for the concert. We had a room on the ninth floor and as soon as we exited the elevator the smell of cigarette smoke immediately hit you. This made me very nervous about the room because I am extremely allergic to the smell of cigarette smoke. When we got to the room the smell wasn't quite as bad inside the room as long as the A/C was running. The moment the A/C stopped running you could smell the smoke again. So we just set the A/C lower then we would normally have liked just to keep the smell out of the room so we wouldn't get sick.

Ended up having to call the front desk due to noisy neighbors that were having a party in their room at 1AM. Security came up quickly and addressed the issue.

The bed and pillows are definitely not the most comfortable. This seems to be a general problem with Crowne Plaza hotels that I've stayed in.

The room was spacious enough and included a flat screen TV. The view overlooking the Civic Center and downtown was nice but would definitely like to try an even higher floor to get the full view.

Room service was decent (although 2.25 for a 12oz can Coke is WAY too high). Food was hot and fresh even at 11:00PM and the food was delivered quickly.

Overall it was a decent hotel. Not sure if I would stay again or not. Would definitely need a room that didn't smell like smoke.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor facing downtown for the best view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Pensacola Grand, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear bishoparc,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am so glad you liked the friendliness of our staff. Your comments encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. Please allow me apologize for the issues you had with your room accommodations and any inconvenience may have caused you. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

The staff was very helpful and friendly. We really appreciated their reviews and suggestions.
We enjoyed our stay at this hotel last weekend. The sheets seemed rough and the walls seemed thin. So, except for having a loud bunch next door, it was good!

Room Tip: All face the water!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I like this hotel. It is very comfortable and easy to find. Personally, I'm a big fan of converted train stations as they typically have a very "classic" vibe. That is true for the lobby of this hotel. As a PC Platinum member, I was upgraded to a room on the 14th floor. I found the room to be very clean and the view was terrific. I did not have any issues with the trains passing by overnight as others have mentioned. Upon arrival, I was early and could not get into the room before check-in. No problem for me since the beach is only a 10-15 minute drive. The front desk staff was very courteous in welcoming me when I was able to check-in. I was not as impressed with the checkout team, but overall I was satisfied. The room was the highlight because the bed was perfect. I would do it allover again in an instant.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Grand this past week during a business trip to Pensacola. I didn't really expect anything other than a typical chain hotel - so, I was very surprised to find that it's in a historic train depot, meticulously rehabilitated. Everything was perfect - the front desk people were very friendly and helpful; the public spaces were gorgeous; my room was quiet and very comfortable; the bed was comfy; wifi was free. Even the food was good - I got in very late one evening, hungry for dinner, but was too exhausted to go down to the restaurant, so I ordered dinner from room service. I'm a vegetarian and don't usually find very much good food on hotel room service menus - but the pasta primavera I ordered was surprisingly delicious.

Room Tip: I stayed in a corner room, and it was enormous, with great views on two sides.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for two nights. We were greeted by a friendly staff and enjoyed the lobby that used to be an old train depot. The room was clean and cool and the bed was very comfortable. Our only complaint was being able to hear every conversation in the room next door as well as all the doors slamming up and down the hall. Luckily we had earplugs. Enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed August 2012
Catskill, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I stayed here a year ago with my husband and an elderly aunt for about four days. It was my first trip to Pensacola and I was doing some research on my family tree. The hotel is centrally located with plenty of parking. The main building is a restored turn of the 20th century train station and the hotel is a tower annexed to it. Consequently, when you enter the lobby you are transported to another time and place. The restoration was beautifully done and the train station is worth exploring if you are there.

The staff was wonderfully helpful in providing directions and information to places we were interested in visiting. Breakfast at the restaurant was delicious.

Our room was beautifully decorated and impeccably clean. We had a wonderful view of downtown Pensacola from our window. The beds were comfortable and room service excellent. Although I have read reviews complaining about the train noise, we had no such problem and slept like babies.

The hotel was a good value for the money. The experience was wonderful and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high in the tower so you get nice views.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Pensacola Grand? Share your experiences!