“Great staff, but...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 61 Hotels in Pensacola
Tampa Bay, FL
“Great staff, but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I had business in downtown Pensacola, so my wife and I stayed at this hotel from a Friday night through Monday morning. The pricing was favorable compared to other hotels in the area. Our initial impression was very favorable. The staff were very cheerful and helpful. Check-in was pleasant. The room (5th floor, facing west) was very clean. After we were in the room about 10 minutes, the front desk called to make sure everything was to our liking. All good so far!

BUT! If you are planning on a good night’s sleep, this is not the hotel for you. To begin with, there is very little sound insulation. Some loud party-goers were in the hallway during the middle of the night--we could hear them VERY clearly. They went into their room--and we could STILL hear them and follow their conversation. When someone used the bathroom next door--well, let’s just say you knew what they were doing. A train goes by a couple times a night. While it didn’t awaken me, it did wake my wife each time.

There is a large gap under the door, and the hallway is brilliantly lit all through the night, so that means your room is well-lit too. We had to put a blanket in front of the door each night to block it. The smoke detector strobes every 1.5 seconds, and longer every 20th flash or so--I felt like I was on the set from "Alien." After the second night, I climbed up and disconnected it, which prompted a call from the front desk asking if everything was OK.

We tried watching the television each night, but gave up. Every 30 seconds or so, it would lose the signal, the picture would freeze, distort, come back. Lather, rinse, repeat.

On the positive side, the bed was comfortable, and the provided linens were a good, balanced weight and quality.

But after considering the whole picture, I’ll try another hotel next time

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel for a trip. We was supposed to stay 2 night but left after 1. Arrived with 2 hungry children under 4 years old, when asking about nearby restaurants, we was given a list. We decided on Chinese the list said close enough to walk to but it was not. After walking around looking we returned to hotel and ask, she said that place had closed! Then the children wanted to swim the pool was to close at 9 pm so we took them out for a nice swim but pool was so crowded they could not get in. So we filled up bath tub and let them swim there. Then at bed time the halls were so loud! Come to find out a wedding party was staying there and the wedding was the next day so they was 'partying'! LOUDLY! So we decided to check out next morning. Also the pillows was awful!! But beds great and room very clean. I think if no wedding party and better pillows the stay would have been perfect!

• Stayed June 2012
Lafayette, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I really wanted to like this place because the front desk staff, the restaurant staff and the ambiance is fantastic but that's where it stops. Whatever you do, don't get a room on the even number side of the hotel facing the parking lot (away from the pool). The only way you'll not feel like Calamity Jane tied to the railroad tracks in the middle of the night is if you are FACING the pool! I MEAN IT! The train is loud and it comes smack dab in the middle of the night. Only stay on the even numbered side of this place if you are hard of hearing, deaf or don't mind hearing a train that sounds as though it's about to burst into your room. Also, if you are on any floor except the top, you'll be able to hear anything that someone drops on the floor on the room above you. So. get a room 1/ facing the pool and 2/ on the top floor. If you do this and they're not painting the room next door at 8 am on a Saturday morning, you should be ok. Clean place, exceptionally nice staff and wonderful breakfast buffet! Gonna stay there again!
Hotel is walking distance to civic center and Carraba's Italian Grill! (great Minestrone soup there!)

Room Tip: Remember top floor and ODD NUMBERED ROOM!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Kent, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This might be my favorite hotel I've ever stayed at, although you should probably know that you're reading a review written by someone who typically stays at budget hotels and is easily impressed by things like "a gazillion fluffy pillows on the bed" and "quality showerhead."

Anyhow, I loved it.

I had no problems during my stay. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful, and the same goes for the cleaning staff. My room was modern and clean and had a great view of the water (and pelicans). Free wifi Internet is also always a huge plus for my non-smartphone-owning self. The enclosed area around their pool was super nice, and I managed to have the whole pool to myself for a straight hour on a Saturday afternoon!

The continental breakfast looked good, too, although I passed it up in favor of walking to a Waffle House, because I had never been to a Waffle House before. I recommend that, too (again, remember that that recommendation is coming from someone who typically stays at budget hotels).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

The staff is very nice and the location is good as well, within walking distance to many restaurants. They also have a bar and serve cookies, which was nicer than many other Courtyards. The room was average, was given a room with two beds when I would have preferred one. The bed was less comfortable than other Courtyards I've stayed at, although I'm not sure why that was. I do also recall hearing a number of train whistles from the room, but it did not wake me so I'm not sure how late in the night it went on. The fitness center had a lot of equipment, which was great so that you weren't competing with other people for an elliptical or treadmill. Overall, it was pretty much average, low-frills/amenities, like most other Courtyards.

Room Tip: If possible, get an inside room (not sure if there are any), but one on the opposite side of whereve...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Kent, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Anyhow, I loved it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Courtyard is my hotel of choice but I probably won't stay at this one when I have to return in 6 months. On my first night, I was woken up by the loud train whistle at 2am. After I fell back asleep, I was again woken up by a truck picking up the dumpster. This was at 4am.

The next day, a train came by again, this time around 5am, blowing its whistle.

Nice location to where I need to be but I did not sleep well at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard Pensacola Downtown? Share your experiences!