“A Rainy Sunday Brunch” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Jacksonville, Florida
“A Rainy Sunday Brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

We found our way to O'Briens Bistro on a very rainy Sunday morning in advance of going to the Naval Air Museum and the Elton John concert. Despite the very awful weather it was a perfect way to start the day. The menu contained numerous unusual breakfasts and food was very good as was the service. Would not hesitate to go again if the opportunity presented itself.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Daphne, Alabama
“Fabulous little place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

We were staying overnight prior to flying to Raleigh for the Eagles concert and needed a place close to our airport hotel for dinner. My date had eaten here once before for lunch and recommended it... she was right on target.

We were seated immediately upon arrival and waited on almost before we sat down. We ordered a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon from their fairly extensive (and quite affordable) wine list while we surveyed the menu. Both of us had the French Onion soup which was excellent. She ordered the Seared Sea Scallops and I had the Seafood Casserole Au Gratin.

The scallops were huge and served over a bed of wilted spinach with hot bacon dressing and rice pilaf. My casserole was shrimp, crab, scallops and grouper in a sherry wine sauce with rice pilaf and mixed vegetables. Both dishes were wonderful and left no room for dessert. I cannot wait to return and try the Veal Oscar and the Lobster-stuffed Grouper.

This is an outstanding little restaurant and I will definitely return when I am in Pensacola again.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
gulfcoast florida
“Garlicphobes, beware.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We chose this restaurant brecause of tripadvisor reviews and because it was chef owned and operated. I felt sorry for our nice server because there was almost nothing that I could even order from the menu because it already contained garlic, which I am allergic to. I couldn't order a single salad dressing (you guessed it, they all had garlic). I used oil and vinegar. At most chef owned restaurants, they can custom cook a great meal for you. Not so here. My husband thought the food was just ok. I found it to be a frustrating experience. Note: The bearnaise sauce, which I make at home, did not even resemble any bearnaise sauce that I've had at home or at a good steak restaurant. I like the concept of a neighborhood, chef-on-the-premises restaurant, but o'briens needs to step up. No establishment should be this dependent on one spice.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Navarre, Florida
“Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Went into O'briens after looking and not finding a different restaurant. Our server was better than most , believe his name was Hugo. The the atmosphere was pleasant. The quality of the food was very good. I had the Ruben sandwich, I really enjoyed it, easy enough, but it was right, so I am pretty happy with it. My wife had the salmon special, she stated that it also was excellent, and that made me even happier. Thanks for the nice lunch

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Pensacola, Florida
“Very competent chef”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I came here on a date because I was craving a steak, and Pensacola is a seafood town. The restaurant sits in a strip mall, and upon walking in, I thought I was in a 1980's upscale Mafia hangout. It is very dark, very dated, and isn't very inviting. The wine selection is visible on a wall length wine shelf, just to the left of the entrance. I nearly walked out when I saw it. It looked like the middle shelf of a Wal-Mart. I had a glass of Rodney Strong, and so did my date. She doesn't like reds, but the whites were so bad, she had no choice. She offered the blackberry duck, medium, and I ordered the 8 ounce filet, rare. Both were done to perfection, and the dinner was saved. Both were the best examples I could find of how those dishes should be prepared. Both were seasoned to perfection. Our server, Anna, recommended the tuna appetizer, and that too was near perfect. Service was prompt, and very pleasant. We left happy and full and discussing how we would love to give the restaurant a makeover, and a new wine list. A combination of those two would make this my favorite place in town.