“Don't miss this awesome food!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #264 of 554 restaurants in Pensacola
Cuisines: Cuban
Pensacola, Florida
“Don't miss this awesome food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My husband and I were wanting something different for lunch, so in perusing TripAdvisor for ideas, I came across info for Havana West Cafe. I don't recall ever having Cuban food before myself, but my husband loves it, and I'm usually up for trying new cuisines. As another reviewer noted, the address on Hwy. 98 is wrong. It's now located at 3670 Barrancas Avenue, and if you aren't looking for it, you might miss it, because it's in a very small building and doesn't have a ton of parking. Don't let this stop you from trying it, though. When we arrived for lunch, there were only two other diners there, but by the time we left, the tables were full with what seemed to be regular diners, and a few people had come and gone for take-out orders. My husband ordered the ropa vieja with yucca and black beans, and I ordered the lechon asado with moros (black beans and rice) and chicken soup, which is like the soup version of their arroz con pollo. OMG, was the food good! The server was really nice and patient in answering our questions and making recommendations, and she definitely steered me in the right direction. When I first got my meal, I was hesitant because I thought the lechon asado looked dry, but in reality the meat has a ton of flavor, and the sauce on the side (I'm guessing olive oil, garlic, and some other seasonings) is great on it. I tried my husband's food, and the ropa vieja was delicious and moist. The yucca was incredible, and I wish I'd ordered that myself. It had the texture or consistency similar to a potato, but it was cooked with onions and olive oil, and it was fabulous with almost a buttery taste to it. The soup's broth was incredibly flavorful without being too salty, and it was full of rice, veggies, and chicken. We live just a mile from a large number of restaurants, and Havana West is probably five miles away, closer to the west side of town where we never go, but I'd go out of my way to eat here anytime. Support small business and eat good food!

• Visited November 2012

87% Recommend
“Authentic Cuban cuisine, you must eat here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

Street address is incorrect if showing hwy 98! Call them for directions, they are on Barrancas a few miles from old location.
Parking leaves much to be desired and seating, but it is like stepping into a genuine Cuban street cafe! Food, service and prices cannot be beat! You will not be disappointed!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Cute little Cuban cafe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

My boyfriend and I pulled in here because he was starving and it was the first place we saw on this road that wasn't fast food (which we typically don't eat). Both of us ordered the pulled pork, which was incredibly flavorful. I even had enough left over for another meal! The meal came with two side items - I ordered white rice and black beans, which were pretty typical. My boyfriend ordered the yellow rice (delicious) and green plantains (even more delicious than the ones he makes at home, which is hard to top!) The service was excellent! The man who waited on us was very patient with our questions and even gave us recommendations. We will definitely be back here again!

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Diamond in el rough.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

Okay so I decide to try this little sandwhich shop on the advice of a co worker. I am also a huge fan of cuban coffee, and they have it, so i thought hey even if the food was bad I would get a good coffee. Let me tell you the food is amazong. The cuban sandwich and the midnight sandwich are just delectable. Well seasoned plenty of filling, great. The place is small, just a couple of small tables, but warm. Moderate prices, a warm staff. The staff has that tattoo parlor type nice. This is the type of place i would go out of my way to eat at.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pensacola, FL
“Authentic and unpretentious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

I was craving a Cuban sandwich, and there is no other place in Pensacola that even comes close to Havana West. The authenticity of the food reflects the owner’s passion to deliver high quality food at reasonable prices. I got to try the Midnight sandwich as well, which has some sweet as well as savory components. It would be the perfect thing to eat late at night when you are hungry after a night out on the town. But the winner of the day was the Tres Leches cake. I have had other versions of this, but none anywhere can match Havana West’s rendition. It was so good, I should have gone to confession afterwards. Rich, moist, flavorful and a sinful indulgence on a plate. One bite and you will not care about the calories. There was no way I was going to share this with anyone without a weapon pointed at me. Yes, it’s that good. It is worth the 15 mile drive from my house to get authentic Cuban food like this. Bravo, y’all!

• Visited January 2012