“Quiet, peaceful, well worth it!” 4 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pensacola
Springhill Guesthouse
903 N. Spring Street, Pensacola, FL 32501   |
Ranked #5 of 8 Pensacola B&B and Inns
Maidenhead CN87
“Quiet, peaceful, well worth it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

The house itself is in wonderful condition considering its 109 year age, and its conversion to a B&B provides what I think is a good balance of modern convenience and old-style living. We had the 'Turret Suite' during our stay.

For those who have never stayed at a B&B before, they are quite a bit different from the more familiar hotels. In the case of Springhill, for example, there is no check-in desk or receptionist. After making reservations, you need to call in on your actual arrival date when you're enroute from the airport (or train station, or wherever you arrived in town at) and let the manager know when you'll be here. She will meet you with keys and instructions, and you can also pay in advance if you wish (recommended, as it makes checkout much easier).

Breakfast here is simple and nourishing. Each morning, you'll find a basket outside your room door containing a variety of yogurt, fruit, packaged oatmeal, and juices. Coffee and teas, the latter both herbal and regular, are already in the room and are complimentary as is the breakfast basket.

If you have special dietary needs, just let the manager know and she will do her best to accommodate you.

The suites include a kitchenette with a stove, refrigerator, microwave, automatic dishwasher, and toaster. You will find a large variety of plates, glasses, cookware and flatware in the cupboards and drawers, and two types of detergent in the under-sink cabinets.

For the Internet-deprived, the suites include a wonderfully fast hardline DSL connection. Wireless is not available due to the fact that the house's construction plays hob with the signal quality. I didn't see this as a disadvantage at all. Quite the contrary! Hardline is more inherently secure than any wireless.

I had no trouble at all accessing our home LAN via VPN, and web access also worked well.

The TV set is small, but it has a very wide range of stations courtesy of the local cable company.

The owner and staff are very friendly, and the house itself remains decently quiet even with a full load of guests. The air conditioning and comfort accessories are more than adequate to cope even with Florida's infamous summer heat.

As to what you will NOT find here: Concierge, laundry service (except for the room towels), bed made for you daily (that's up to you, but fresh bed linens and towels are available on request), exercise room, on-site restaurant, or any of the other (often overpriced) "amenities" that usually come with hotels/motels.

One other thing you will not find here is telephones in the room. Keep your cellphone with you.

What we DID find here was a stay that's more peaceful than any hotel we've been in to date, even five-star places. Ambient noise is practically nonexistent. I would say the worst you'd have to deal with might be the occasional train (the tracks are a mile or so away), a few fire department runs (a main arterial street, Cervantes Ave., is a block or so away), or the local mockingbird and dove population greeting the new day each morning.

If you value such things, and want to save quite a bit over local hotel rates, then by all means pick Springhill.

Happy travels.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

4 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Springfield, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

I'd give it a 3 and 1/2 if I could, but there were some deficiencies that I think could have been improved and one that could not.

The bad.
First the train. We are used to trains as we live near a yard, but this train went all night long! We did not sleep very well because of this.

Secondly, we stayed in the Bay Suite which was nice, old, but nice but the couch and chair were in need of replacing.

Thirdly, the neighbors were a bit rude. One fellow even brings his dog over to do it's business in Springhill yard every night! We loved sitting out on the porch, but sometimes it was uncomfortable with this one neighbor. We usually went inside or left all together.

Fourthly, better curtains are needed and privacy for the living room. It would get bright early and sometimes the lights from outside would interfere with my son sleeping on the sleeper sofa.
We placed a towel over the headboard to prevent the lights from disturbing our sleep at night. We prefer it to be dark.

Now the good.
The new owner (which I expect things will improve with time) was very polite. This is a very private B&B so we didn't even see her except when she was working on the yard and when she checked us in.

We recieved a breakfast basket which was nice to have the freedom of when we wanted to eat. The kitchette is great to keep stuff in and cook your meals to save some money.

We didn't use the washer and dryer, but they were available.

It has a good location in a good part of town.

I think the Sun Suite would be better to stay in, it was a little more updated and on the second floor (avoid the lights at night).

I like the amenaties, but would love to see this place really shine. It has great potential and overall would be a good place to stay. We have stayed in a lot of b&b's and think that this would could really be good once the new owners get their feet on the ground.

• Liked — It was charming overall; the front porch
  • Disliked — The train! And the lack of darkness at night
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2006

The SpringHill guest House was GREAT!! The girl running the place was so nice and even met us late to check us in.

The room we stayed in was perfect!! It was much bigger than a hotel room and much cheaper. I must admit I was a little afraid of the B&B as I have never stayed in one before.

Spring Hill Guest House is beautiful!!! It is very close to downtown and the beach and in the historical part of town.

Our room could have held at least 5 people comfortably!!! There were extra linens and board games plus a washer and dryer.

I will be staying there from now on when I come into town. I will admit I am a little diva-ish and if I went away happy I am sure you will too!!!!

It is just like staying over at someone's house!!

Thanks
Angie

Been to Springhill Guesthouse? Share your experiences!