“Very nice location, lousy service” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #1 of 45 Hotels in Panama City Beach
Boca Raton
“Very nice location, lousy service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

I stayed with my family (3 children) for 1 night in January 2012. The hotel location is very nice, and the hotel is ok. It was not very clean in general, and the hotel is a bit poorly planned with cross draft in the rooms, and bad doors/windows. The hotel could use an update/renovation. The worst thing was the poor service level. When checking in there was one young lady doing her best to get people checked in quickly with someone else walking around aimlessly behind her doing nothing.... It took 3 times longer to get checked in than normal, and equally long to check out the following morning. The service in the restaurant (breakfast) was extremely slow also and created the impression that they just didn't care. I ordered a healthy looking cup of fresh berries with yoghurt from the breakfast menu. In came a cup with some berries, and then loaded up with heavy whipping cream....not exactly what I had in mind... The rest of the breakfast food was ok. In spite of all this, I would probably come back because of the location. The view of the beach and sea from the room was gorgeous.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
phcolvin, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Panama City Beach, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our resort on Trip Advisor! We’re so glad you and your family enjoyed the views from our resort. ! I’m sorry to hear about the situation at the front desk and the restaurant; I will make sure to bring this up in our next staff meeting to refresh all our Team Members on the importance of providing prompt great guest service. I’m excited to share with you that we have been in the process of updating our rooms and that this summer all of our rooms will have new furniture in them. We’ve also opened our new Ocean Front Day Spa since your last visit, which offers massage, facial, body treatment, manicure, and pedicure services. We’re always looking for ways to make our resort better and better every year. We hope you’ll come visit us again, hopefully during the Spring, Summer, or Fall seasons to fully take advantage of all the activities / entertainment we offer, and to see all the great enhancements we’ve made since your last visit!

Nicole S.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (551)
Trenton, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

had a problem with booking.com.i called the resort myself in tears and a angle named ashley talked me though it and at the end fix the mistake for me. they work great with public relations,,,,,,,,,,,,, plus the resort was so great when i was there,clean, big pretty rooms,the pool and the hot tub was open really late,just a fun,lively,happy place,even at 50 wanted to go in the kids water park...........cant wait to go back for my birthday............cant miss with is resort.....helen
ps..they had security always around for safety...thank you for that

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Middle Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

Review written while still at the resort.

I am a Marriott Gold Rewards member and a discerning traveler when it comes to lodging and normally will go out of my way to stay at a Marriott category 4 or higher rated hotel. I was apprehensive about staying at a Holiday Inn because, let's face it, their brand became synonymous with mediocrity. However, I had no choice due to a cheer competition. I was pleasantly surprised. Note, due to my involvement with cheer-leading competitions this is actually my second stay at a Holiday Inn Resort, the first being the resort in Gatlinburg, TN.

Upon check-in, I was greeted by an incredibly courteous and hospitable staff, especially the security staff. Check-in was less than 5 minutes. I was provided everything I needed including wireless access code (which worked easily), free kids meal coupons, resort information, parking placard, etc... You are on your own for luggage, as is typical in these types of resorts. But, there were ample luggage carts available and the check in area was very well organized. Parking (no charge) is ample with a shuttle that patrols the lots to get you back to the hotel (short walk through a tunnel).

We elected to get a room with bunkbeds and a queen size bed on the 10th floor away from the elevators and toward the end. Call ahead and request your specifics the morning of your arrival. The rooms are a little small for my taste, but easily manageable for a 3 night stay (2 adults and 2 kids). The room was very clean. In our room, we had two flat screen TV's, 4 bunkbeds in a separate area (with its own TV), a DVD player for each TV (very nice touch), plenty of towels, a full size refrigerator, microwave, closet, table, coffee maker, desk, mini-fridge, two bathroom sinks (one outside toilet/shower area) and decent storage area. This is clearly an older property with typical restraints of older properties. But that is offset by an incredibly helpful staff and activities. Also, all the rooms have a great view of the Gulf and you will often see pods of Dolphins right off shore (bring binoculars).

The resort itself has a main pool heated to about 80 degrees, two hot-tubs, an incredible and large splash-pad for kids (gated), game room, a concession stand, restaurant, well stocked store that sells minor groceries and beach stuff (decent prices by the way), a Bar, and direct access to beach. In theory, you never need to leave the resort if that is your thing. The resort is only minutes away from major restaurants and shopping with much of it within walking distance. For fast food eaters, there are plenty of local options. The resort restaurant, where kids eat free off the kids menu, has a buffet breakfast for $16. Kids can have the buffet for $4 or eat off the kids menu for free. This is one of the highest price breakfast buffets I ever had. It was decent because it had an omelette station and the staff has no problem with people taking food out. We have not yet had dinner at the restaurant so I cannot comment, though the prices looked more than reasonable.

Holiday Inn provides some type of nightly entertainment poolside (all included). When were here, there was a Polynesian Fire Dance show and a "dive in movie" (Puss N Boots) that you could watch poolside or while in the pool. In room televisions have ample selections of channels and like I said earlier, there were two DVD players.

There are some minor gripes. For example, there are four elevators to access your room and it can be a wait, especially when it starts raining and everyone goes to their rooms. Another issue is smoking poolside. Though their are no smoking signs, there were plenty of rude people who ignored the signage. I take issue with these people because they smoke around kids. Holiday Inn needs to enforce the no smoking rule.

Other than that, I heartily recommend the Holiday Inn. Very convenient location and you never have to leave if you do not want to. I thought it was a little expensive (fri and sat nights only), but not by much. The breakfast buffet was a little expensive except when you have two adults and two kids (it then averages out to $10 per person).

Room Tip: Call ahead with your room request. Stay clear of elevators and try to get a room toward the end.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
phcolvin, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Panama City Beach, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our resort on Trip Advisor! We’re so glad you and your family enjoyed your stay with us! I’m excited to hear you stayed in one of our new room types with the bunk beds and enjoy the great view of the Gulf – and dolphins – from your room! I’m also excited that you and your family were able to take advantage of some of the great pool-side entertainment we offer! I’m sorry to hear that there were some guests smoking in the non-smoking areas on our pool deck. I will present this issue at the next staff meeting to remind our Team Members of how to politely remind our smoking guests that we do have a designated area for that activity. We appreciate you making us aware of this so we can take the measures to correct it.

Again, thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Resort! We hope to have you as our guest again soon!

Gainesville, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

This property charges 19 bucks on top of the quoted room rate. It is a beach front hotel that is branded as a resort. It is a rather large property with parking across the street via tunnel. Rooms are large and spacious and they do a good job of maintaining the property. It does have a pool, nothing resort fancy, just a pool. I did not see spas or cabanas.
A disappointment in the morning for breakfast, no coffee and no service beyond seating me. It was a buffet so I ate my breakfast, left my breakfast coupon, and walked out.
This place is not walking friendly. There are no sidewalks on either side of the street.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Swanton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012 via mobile

Staff were very nice. We were there over Spring break, the late night music was excessive and actually shook our 9th floor windows. Not a great location during Spring break if you are a light sleeper. Would have been a perfect stay without the music.

• Stayed April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our resort on Trip Advisor! During the Spring Break event period we do have a high volume of students and to that end the activities and entertainment during this time are geared to the college age group – including the Pool Side Music that went late into the night. This special event time period and only lasts about 6 weeks of the year; I hope that you and your family will be able to visit us again during our regular season to enjoy all the great family friendly entertainment – during the daytime and evening hours – that we offer at other times of the year. Again, I want to thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Resort, we hope to have you as our guest again soon!

USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

We like Hilton properties for their good mix of affordability and quality.At the wonderfully located Panama City Beach property, we felt cheated on both counts.We had made reservations through priceline, and ended up paying $ 20 per night as "resort fees". It was listed in fine print in our reservation email.What bugged me wasn't the fact that this was a surprise, but the way this was communicated. We did understand that it was priceline that should have made this clear. The counter staff Tom and Gerry (sweet coincidence!) first told us we didnt have a confirmation, since we hadnt paid as yet. My husband had to retrieve his email printout, and then they very grudgingly called priceline customer care, which of course confirmed the reservation.They did everything they were supposed to eventually, but with a long face and in an unfriendly manner. It was almost like we were interrupting some important business that they had to attend to.Tom did give us a room on the 11th floor as accomodation for having made us wait so long, but when we reached, the bolt on the door wasnt working.We had to call to get that fixed.The room decor looked unclassy with wall to wall mirrors taht hadnt been cleaned well. Also, i didnt understand why rooms in a beachside resort had water sensitive laminate floors ! The restroom was clean and everything worked well. The ac was noisy and dirty, the room though smoke free was reeking of smoke odor, and the mattresses were the WORST ever.Lumpy and sunken in. I did like the choice they gave for the pillows though.The view of the beach from the room was beautiful .All their rooms face the gulf. The outdoor sunset lounge by the pool area is a wonderful touch. We enjoyed a swim in the heated pool, it was nice. The security staff was very friendly and nice, despite the tough job they were doing considering it was spring break time.The beach area was very well maintained as well.The souvenir shop even though within the hotel is reasonably priced. We did have some good moments while we were there, but the thing that they say about First Impressions - thats really true. It can make or break a vacation memory.

Room Tip: Higher the better for better views of the gulf
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Panama City Beach, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Dear nomadcouple,

Thank you for posting a review. I am somewhat concerned that you may have posted on the wrong page. You mention you stayed at the Hilton. This page is for the Holiday Inn.
We are not affiliated with the Hilton. I am sorry for the confusion. Have a nice day!

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Being a Priority Club member afforded me the opportunity to take my girls on vacay for Spring Break by staying at this property. We were warned during booking the reservations, recieved a phone call by a member of the staff prior to our arrival and recieved a notice via mail regarding what to expect. This was followed by one last warning at check in. I understood there would be a dj playing until 4 am, however never staying at this hotel, i didn't understand that we would be able to hear the music from inside our rooms until 4 am. I spoke with other families on higher floors who said it wasnt as bad, but we were on the 4th floor. Getting an elevator was difficult- we took the stairs on most occassions. Staff and security were extremely personable. Due to being the only hotel with a second dj, on the beach, the crowd would settle here from other hotels along the strip. If you wanted to enjoy the beach, it had to be before noon or after five. The pool was nice, however over-heated and on the warmer days, it didnt provide any relief. My bed was broken, i did sleep on it the first night, but reported it to the front desk the next morning. It was either replaced or fixed before that evening. They were quick to respond to our needs. We requested and were granted a late checkout, although it wasnt necessary as we departed early. The location seems centralized, however we spent our evenings at Pier Park. This is not within walking distance. AC was effecient, however extremely loud. We wanted it to run continuously to help drown out the sound of music but occassionally it would shut off. If the music didnt wake us, the starting up of the unit would. I do intend to chaperone a group in two years, not sure if we will stay here again or not.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
phcolvin, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Panama City Beach, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our resort on Trip Advisor! During the Spring Break event period we do have a high volume of students and to that end the activities and entertainment during this time are geared to the college age group. We do try to keep the families up and away from the students and noise whenever we are able however it’s not always possible. We’re glad to hear our team members were quick to respond and resolve the trouble you had with the bed and I will make sure we check into the AC in that room, we always appreciate you letting us know if there’s something not working in one of our rooms so we can correct the matter. Again, Spring Break is a special event time period and only lasts about 6 weeks of the year; I hope that you and your family will be able to visit us again during our regular season to enjoy all the great family friendly entertainment we offer at other times of the year.

Guest Relations Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Panama City Beach? Share your experiences!