“The good, the bad, and the ugly; see my photos!” 3 of 5 stars

You added Ocean Towers Beach Club to your Saves list
Ocean Towers Beach Club
11211 West US Highway 98, Front Beach Rd., Panama City Beach, FL 32407   |
Asheville, Nc
“The good, the bad, and the ugly; see my photos!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This was a time share exchange, and we had a good first visit to Panama City Beach, but this hotel was a mixed bag. Here's the GOOD: great ocean view, right on the beach, nice towels, and comfortable beds. As a bonus, we had an end unit and were able to watch the New Year's Eve fireworks from the living room and balcony! Here's the BAD: many of the the furnishings are worn, the appliances are old, and the wi-fi promised throughout was actually available only in the common areas for the four of us--all Mac addicts who log on all of the time. In addition there was a flood on the third floor above us, which is not entirely the hotel's fault except that their appliances are so old that this probably happens more often than it might otherwise. We came home from dinner our first night and found water on the floor and cooking utensils sitting half-full of water. There was water on the tile in the dining room area, too, due to a storm and a poorly sealed window. The AC/heater unit was ancient and rattled. The remote needed a new battery and the desk person was rude to our Finnish physician friend staying with us--he was actually shocked. AND HERE IS THE UGLY: check out my photos. You will see the lovely ocean view and the overflowing dumpster and discarded toilet IN FRONT of our unit, and two discarded washing machines and pallets of repair materials very near to us that we passed every time we retrieved our car from the parking lot. The two washing machines were hauled away after five days. The dumpster was overflowing when we arrived, and was not hauled away for six days and then returned with debris not picked up from the ground. The toilet was still there when we left. I can see no excuse for this except a total lack of concern for the guests.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Huntsville, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

After reading the reviews I was dreading this stay. However, we were pleasantly surprised. This is an older property but it was nicely kept, very clean and had a beautiful view from the living area and bedroom. Great access to the beach.
Fully stocked kitchen and plenty of towels.
Only negative is that the queen sofa pullout wasn't comfortable so next time we will get a 2 bedroom.
(The queen bed in the master bedroom was extremely comfy)
Don't let the bad reviews keep you away.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Panama City Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed from Oct. 11th to the 14th, 2012. One bedroom was great! Very spacious and extremely clean. The kitchen is equipped with EVERYTHING you need: dishes, utensils, wine glasses, coffee cups, full size coffee maker, etc. It appears they have upgraded the curtains and linens, as they were crisp, clean, and fresh, and not at all outdated. I read all the reviews about bad experiences and am happy to report that this absolutely did not happen to us. Our stove went out, and was replaced immediately by a brand new smooth top. The maintenance guy explained that when something needs to be replaced, they do their best to replace with upgraded appliances. And that they work on the rooms every fall to replace old wallpaper, curtains, floors, etc. I read the reviews of the people complaining about the noise of the maintenance, and although we did not experience that, I asked the girl at the front desk about it, and she explained to me that it is very slow during the fall, from Nov to Jan and that's when they try to do all the noisy upgrades. Me personally, as a beach side condo in a tourist town, it only makes sense to do those kind of repairs during that time frame and not during the very hectic Spring and Summer time, so I don't understand the complaints about that issue. The desk clerks were personable and courteous to me, and also when they answered the phone while I was in the lobby. And she also gave me a few packs of sugar for my coffee because I forgot some and needed some to hold me over until I could get to the store. So, I didn't experience the issues other reviewers said they had with the staff. And we loved that the guest bath has a stand up shower, so there was never any waiting for the bathroom! We will definitely go back to Ocean Towers, we enjoyed every minute of it!

Room Tip: Ask if anything is available on the 7th floor, it's the best view!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Ocean Towers Beach Club from the 7th September 2012 till the 14th September 2012. We booked through Interval Travel and on reading some of the comments on Tripadvisor we considered cancelling. However we were pleasantly surprised. The two bedroomed appartment was clean, airey, spacious and comfortable. There were of course rules none of which were onerous in anyway in our opinion. The kitchen was extremely well equipped and the two sofas were reasonably comfortable. Even Bob was pleasant on the two or three times we were in his company. All the staff were helpful and no request appeared to be a problem. Ignore the moaners who have complained on this site you certainly get value for money.
The pool area was clean with splendid access to the beach and the hottub was hot. Thanks Bob and your staff for making our stay with you so stress free and relaxed and without the dreaded smell of cigarette smoke. Before leaving the hotel we asked for our room to be checked. This was done immediately and our credit card receipt returned. Thanks.

Peter and Joyce

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

As an owner since 1985, I have to say that I have never had a bad experience at Ocean Towers. I have not been able to visit our condo in a few years so when I was able to this year, I have to admit I was a little worried (especially after reading the most recent reviews). I arrived and couldn't have been more pleased! I was treated well, the check-in process was quick, my condo was clean and even at 20+ years old, was not in too bad of shape. Give this place a chance...and remember it is older and smaller but still a great!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I've read the reviews of Ocean Towers Beach Club and from experience, I have to agree that the condos need some repair and undating, otherwise, they are okay.The location is great and the views of the beach are awesome. I have enjoyed my vacations at this resort for many years. The staff has always been friendly to me. Smoking is allowed only at a certain picnic table under the complex and the ants seem to be a protected species because they constantly crawl all over you in this area. Before you make reservations here, please be aware that you are not allowed access to your condo before you sign a paper agreeing to pay up to a $1000 fine if you smoke on the balcony. This is true! Anyway, I've listened to a number of people tell of how they or someone they knew had been billed on their credit cards or billed personally for smoking on the wide open, windy, no one can smell your smoke balcony- wheather they were guilty of this or not. I asked security about this rule. I was told that people who smoked on the balcony left the doors opened and the air conditioner froze. Only a smoker would do a thing like that ? Also if you are allergic to animal dander, stay somewhere else. Dogs are now allowed at the resort.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Enjoyed a three-night stay in a very nich two-bedroom corner unit overlooking the Gulf of Mexico. Could not find much to complain about. Unit was very clean and with minor exceptions, everything worked perfectly. Staff members were extremely friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner unit for the best views of the beach.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Ocean Towers Beach Club? Share your experiences!