“Excellent 1st Impression!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel at the Boardwalk Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Hotel at the Boardwalk Beach Resort to your Saves list
Hotel at the Boardwalk Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   9600 South Thomas Drive, Panama City Beach, FL 32408 (Formerly Howard Johnson)   |
Ranked #47 of 53 hotels in Panama City Beach
columbus city
“Excellent 1st Impression!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

When looking at the building from the street and going into the lobby, things looked great! The staff was VERY friendly, the best yet. My wife and I with our 2 y.o. son, we couldn't wait to get to the room. Upon walking through the dirty breezeway and filthy elevator, my good feeling then started to diminish. We open the door tt the room and it looked like a hotel room you'd see in a 'B' rated 90's movie! Two double beds, tiny bathroom, late 90's tv in an armoire and small microwave and refrigerator in a stand of sorts.

At 6'2" I was close to bumping my head on the ceiling in the bathroom. Yes it was that low. The place was clean, but so out-dated and all the furniture was so.... "used" the place looked and felt cheap. Very few outlets that were hard to get to for phone charging and there was a plain mirror on the wall, out of place, unframed, just on the wall.

The pool was small, but clean. The backyard (the beach area) was very nice. Nicely kept boardwalk and seating area along the BW. The only problem here was, the water to rinse your feet off after coming off the beach didn't work. Tisk-tisk.

There's signs up stating that they were working on the building, but I think they should have fixed some of the holes in the ceilings outside in the breezeway and walkways many years ago.

To sum it up, if you just want to go hang out with a fun a friendly front desk, this is the place. Other than that, stay elsewhere.

My opinion.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.

221 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
King City, Missouri, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We probably won't return to Panama City Beach based on our experiences. The hotel was very shabby, the room smelled bad when we arrived, and the hotel was outdated. We explained that I have emphysema when we booked and can't walk far. We were given a room as far as possible from parking and the room?

Room Tip: You must use TripAdvisor when selecting a hotel in Panama City Beach. Unfortunately, we didn't...
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Husband and stayed here because of a class reunion booked here. I have been in many hotels in all price ranges in many areas of the world. First the good: After thinking about 10 minutes, all I can come up with is "I didn't see any roaches" The bad: rude staff - no chairs on the outside decks - as a matter of fact our room didn't have a chair of any kind and when asking at the front desk we were told "no we don't have chairs in any of the rooms" What??? The only chairs were in the overpriced snack bar and about 20 or so at the pool. Have to say the cleaning staff was pleasant, if not very efficient, but desk staff was unbelievely inept and rude. Understand, I am not overly picky, but when I pay for a room I expect to be treated as a guest, not as someone who is keeping you from talking on your cell phone. Granted this hotel for this event was less than $100 a day plus tax, however, I would not pay $25 to stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
MELBORNE FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

checked in on friday sept 7th the room was outdated but it was very clean the bed was hard i am very big on cleanliness and it was clean had a towel in the shape of a duck which thought was very pleasent upon check in. on saturday got a chance to talk with a housekeeper cleaning a room very nice young lady very cheerful she said she was from jamaica while i was talking with her she said she loved working there also while i was speaking with her a male employee walked up and told her how great of a job she was doing i thought to myself how nice that was. he said hi to me and asked how i was enjoying my stay i said wonderful after he had left i asked the housekeeper who that was she said that was her new manager. i dont know how you run your hotel but i would stay here again anytime for the cleanliness and the wonderful staff that i have encountered while i have stayed there over the weekend. but try to update rooms from my experience.

Room Tip: outdated rooms but very clean pleasent housekeepers
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Palm Bay, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Okay, before I got to this place, I had read the reviews and all were bad. On the night before my arrival, I got feedback from fellow friends who arrived one day before me and all reviews were terrible. I arrived feeling as though this was going to be a disaster for the entire trip. I brought Lysol and was prepared to be completely miserable. Upon arrival, we checked in and found the room was outdated, think Motel 6 from the late 70's early 80's, but it was clean. I did still spray it down just to be on the safe side. The staff was wonderful. Everything we needed, they were willing to accomadate us. Over 200 of us were there for a convention and we heard some horrible stories of some of the rooms, but we also found out that this hotel had some issues with mold and mildew because of previous storms that had come through. The meeting rooms were awesome, and they had a food court on site that had great sandwiches and breakfast foods with a bar on site that prepared also. The food that was served for our banquet was totally superb. The staff outdid themselves with service in everyway. The hotel wa right on the beach with a clean pool and boardwalk within a few steps. If u just want a place to crash, this is the place for it, if you have a banquet, this is the place for it. The friendly staff made the whole trip worthwhile for me.

Room Tip: Just hope there is never a huge party because you can hear from inside rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Soddy Daisy, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

This place is in serious need of a total updating and cleaning. This was just a weekend trip to visit my son that is serving in the Navy here in Panama City Florida. This hotel has very small room, all the things in the room, from the beds to the coffee maker were old and out dated. The carpets looked dirty and there were holes in the walls in the bathroom, the blinds were yellow looking ( they use to be white) and they were broken. There was only one lamp in the room and did not give off much light. Which thinking about it might have been a good thing because the room was not very clean. I would NOT recomend this hotel to anyone!!!!

Room Tip: Just find another hotel and check the reviews before you book it
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

AFTER checking in, we were told they had overbooked & that we would have to park off site during our stay...when they say offsite, they mean a long hike! Poor customer service...Room was run down & not very clean! Unfortunately, our room was not far from the pool area where they had speakers set up blasting music until about 11pm. We were jolted awake around 4am to huge fireworks being shot off (july 6th) somewhere on the grounds. We are frequent visitors to the area & have never been disappointed (or scared) until this visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel at the Boardwalk Beach Resort? Share your experiences!