“Construction Noise/Poor Customer Service” 2 of 5 stars

You added Casa Loma Inn to your Saves list
Casa Loma Inn
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   13615 Front Beach Road, Panama City Beach, FL 32407   |
Ranked #32 of 45 Hotels in Panama City Beach
“Construction Noise/Poor Customer Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Let me start by saying I am not a disgruntled employee or someone with crazy high expectations, especially for a motel in PCB. However, I do believe in good business practices and customer service. I would also like to state that my family has been coming to Casa Loma for years, but unfortunately, this will be our final visit.
We ordered a room last week with a kitchenette. When we arrives, the night shift front desk clerk was courteous ans helpful and checked us in quickly. When we arrived to our room, it appeared clean despite the kitchen area needing some repairs: Crumpled up foil under disheveled stovetop heads and cabinet doors that hang open. We went in the bathroom wheee I discovered several large curly dark hairs in the shower. The light above the sink was burnt out. We hoped the shower had indeed been cleaned but were too tired to go to Walmart to buy cleaning supplies. The next day we had "maid services" which consisted of throwing the sheets and pillows on the bed. The shower was not cleaned. We went to Walmart and cleaned it ourselves. There must be an overall housekeeping issue at Casa Loma because we heard a manager yelling at 2 housekeepers about their work.
On Monday the consttuction began on repairing several of the room balconies and ceilings which appeared moldy. This wasn't just occasional hammering or loud noises. This was constant, continual high pitched grinding into concrete right next to the pool. The noise was ineacapable unless you left the premises. It was heard in your room, on the beach, and at the pool. We came here to celebrate graduating and for me to study for boards. It was impossible, even with an ipod trying to drown out the noise. This continued all week. And when it wasn't going, the music at the pool was extremely loud. We had to ask twice to have it turned down.
The daytime front deak clerk was not helpful or concerned with our complaints. She said that the manager was not there and neither was the property manager. When we wemt back again to ask about it, she said they had to complete this work (which we understood, as the hotel looked to be in disrepair since our previous visits) and that she'd see if thwy could minimize the work the next day. The construction team agreed to wait until after lunch the next day to let me study in the morning ...and I'm sure the other guests would appreciate relaxing and sleeping in as well ... but this promise was not kept as they began around 10 am anyways.
I am not exaggerating with the noise. Please check out the video we posted on youtube: Casa Loma Motel PCB.
Lastly, to add insult to injury, on our second to last day, we noticed the motel had updated their special on their sign by the hotel entrance to include Thursday and Friday. When we booked last week, those days were not included. When we asked about the rate, thw front deak clerk told us it was for WALKINS ONLY. So you can go up to the motel, hear the noise and decide if its worth your while or walk away, but if you book ahead of time over the phone, you won't know about it and wull be screwed. Baaaddddd business practices. We expected to be compensated in some way, not rudely treated as we checked out. But hey, I guess after the 6 nights you're there, and they have your money, customer service doesn't matter.
If not having a migraine or sitting on the beach/your balcony/the pool and relaxing is important to you, this is not the place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013
greatgrandmother2, General Manager at Casa Loma Inn, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
I am so sorry your stay was not pleasant and I was out of the office for a deceased friend and would like very much to talk to you and make some offer to have you return when circumstances are better to see if we can redeem our selves to you for your unpleasant stay. To my understanding
all of my staff had offered to move you to other locations and all apologized to you for the necessary balcony work that was going on at the time. Please give me a call and ask for the General Manager and if not available leave a message with your phone number for a return call.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Tallahassee, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Be aware, facility is in dire need of a remodel. Room came with a full-size refrigerator that was convenient and worked well. Stove had not been cleaned before our arrival. The light in the
bathroom refused to work consistently. Bathroom was clean and everything else worked. Music played at pool was played way too late and entirely too loud. Parking is a DISASTER !!! There is only one parking place per room no matter how large a group. Additional parking was in a grassy area that required you to drive over a curb, scraping many low hanging cars. Space was further limited by that fact that there was no enforcement of proper parking in the grassy area. Plenty of clean towels were provided. Air conditioning (while plenty cool) was unable to dehumidify the room. There was a dehumidifer provided, but ours did not work. This resulted in the entire room feeling "sticky". The sheets and blankets felt damp and the floors were slippery. Location was great as the beach was readily accessible and close. It is a four floor structure, with no elevators. Finally, on our last day, we had a very large RAT that was happy to share our balcony with us. Needless to say, this place is not on my list of places to return to .........ever.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
greatgrandmother2, General Manager at Casa Loma Inn, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
hello smrobin
Thank you for the review and would love to discuss this with you further as we have plenty of parking including an overflow lot 3 blocks away in addition to 125 here on property. Thank you
for the remarks as it always gives us the opportunity to improve. Just give me a call to hopefully
invite you back as there were lots of good remarks to build from. When you call just ask to speak to the general manager and I would love to discuss the visit and future visits with you.
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

My family stayed at Casa Loma for 2 nights this past week. After reading some of these reviews, I actually wonder if we stayed at the same hotel. Our room was on the 4th floor. We were originally booked on the second floor, but after asking for a higher floor (for the view), the very friendly woman at the front desk moved us. The view from the balcony is just amazing! The hotel truly is 'right on the beach!'. The pool area is very well kept, with lots of flowers and palm trees, giving the property an 'Old Florida' feel. Our room had 2 double beds, a small table with 2 chairs and a desk. Our room was very clean...no dirt in corners, no dirty towels or sheets, no bad smell. The floor is ceramic tile. I was actually surprised that there was no sand on the floor. It's hard to clean sand off of tile. The property is older, but, when we were there, they were actively doing maintenance to some of the balcony ceilings. No...the baclonies are not falling apart. Some of the facades are crumbling, and this is what is being repaired, not the balcony structure itself. As far as the 'scalding' shower, my 2 kids and I each took 2 to 3 showers a day. None of us was 'scalded'. There is a slight dip in the cold water pressure at times (I assume when someone in a nearby room flushes the toilet), but it was nothing to interrupt our showers. This is actually pretty common in older properties, with older plumbing.
We had a great time, and will definitely be back. If you are looking for the Hilton, this hotel will probably not suit you. If you are looking for a taste of an 'Old Florida' setting, and VERY close beach access, you will be extremely happy with Casa Loma. And to repeat..the room was CLEAN!

Room Tip: If walking up 2 flights of stairs does not bother you, go for the 4th floor. The view is fabulous!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so very much we appreciate each and every review and thankful you described Casa Loma as Old Florida which is the way of years gone by ( 70's) and as you said beach right out your door and no long walk to the beach, and perfect reply of the plumbing and showers. Thank you very much for your continued visits and reviews.
Mooresville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

This was a great hotel right on the beach. Not a hotel chain but a locally owned hotel that was great very clean and the hotel and staff was great we well definitely stay again and would reccommend to lots of travelers.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the review and above all thank you for the visit to Casa Loma here in Panama City Beach and if I can ever be of assistance do not hesitate to ask and on your return visit let us know you are a repeat guest and review writer for additional discounts or freebies!
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I book this hotel on line , big mistake, when I get there in the front desk they are rude but any way I needed a room for 3 nights , the room was in the 4 floor and the hotel don't have elevator, inside the room it was sand in every corner, the towels where hard as sand paper and you can see dirty spot all over the towels . they have not shampoo and soup. The blankets where so old and dirty , so I desire to go down stairs to do the check out right there and look for another hotel and they toll me that is ok that they will charge me only for that night , so I found other hotel for $50 more but very clean ,closer to everything , So I went the next morning to do the check out and they where so rude and they charge me for the 3 nights any ways .This hotel charge at that time $150 per day , but for the quality of this hotel they should charge no more than $40 per day

Room Tip: Check the Shore of Panama excellent price and amenities, location the best
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
greatgrandmother2, General Manager at Casa Loma Inn, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Please call the hotel 850 234 1100 ask to speak to the General Manager as no one at the hotel is aware of this problem or charges, we would really appreciate a call from you as this does not sound like the Casa Loma others have the opposite to say about us.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Whole place is filthy.!.. Bed stunk as did the throw pillows.. Was the worst place ever and was like a deserted island in a horror film.. Paid in advance online for 2 nights.. Sat up all night the first day because the bed stunk and I was scared to go to sleep...Couldn't wait to leave and wow!.. Went to origin at sea haven and they felt so sorry for my daughter, grandbaby and myself that they put us in a ocean view condo at 7:00 in the morning for the same damn price!..$119.00.. Trust me women DO NOT fall for their false pictures!.. This place is a filthy disgusting dump!!..

• Stayed August 2013
We are greatly concerned about your review and would ask you give us at the hotel a call to discuss with the general manager so we can discuss the review as we value each and every concerns. Please just ask for the General Manager, Please!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Being beach front was a plus! Great AC. Great pool area. The service on the other hand was poor. Room was clean when we arrived but it was never cleaned again. You pay for good service, thats not what we got. Called front desk for more towels and wash clothes but was told we had to bring our dirty ones to get new ones and was still only given two wash clothes. Bed was never changed or made up after check in. Floors were never swept or mopped. Had a bathroom size garbage can. Way to small. Had nice lamps but couldnt use them bc the plugs wouldnt hold the cords so light was limited. Fuse blowed while blow drying my hair. Free ice everyday was great. Appreciated that. Tried to talk to house keeping to explain we wanted our room cleaned but he couldnt understand english!!? Trying to give me 6 year old a shower was a nightmare! Shower would burn you then go to freezing cold. Had to bend down to get my head wet. No bathtub at all! Did have extra clean blankets in a drawer for the bed.. thank goodness. No elevator.. that got old quick! The chair rentals were very cheap but the chairs were very old and uncomfortable. When you go on vacation and pay for room service, thats what you expect. Dont expect it from this place! A friend of mine that went at the same time had 2 small children and their balcony was only held up on one side by one single nail. This place is for people that comes to party. Do not take your famiky here. I dont think I will ever be back.