“Great beach hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 42 Hotels in Panama City Beach
gulfport ms
“Great beach hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed for one night in April and ended up going back in June for a 3 night stay.

All rooms have gulfview balconies and lovely views. I liked to sit on the balcony and read and people watch.

I was on the 3rd floor and if you want a complete unobstructed view of the beach, choose a 4th and above floor. Just the top of the palm trees blocked part of my view of the beach on the left side. But I had a great view of the waves coming in on the other side.

The room had two double beds as you enter the room and a sitting area with a sofa bed/couch at the other end which leads onto the balcony. I could sit on the couch and see the beach. Large picture window to look out on the gulf.

Room also had a kitchenette in it with an assortment of cooking utensils and pans if needed. Refrigerator was a smaller model, but had more then enough room in it and a large freezer section. Came with a 4 burner stove (apartment size), coffeemaker and microwave. Be sure and bring coffee if you are staying more then a day, there was only one package to make a 4 cup pot.

One downside was no free wi-fi. Cost was 3.99 an hour, or 10.99 a day or 23.99 for 5 days (or week, don't remember for sure) Desk clerk did tell me that you could use the computer in the business area if I wanted to. There is a 24hr McDonald's within walking distance with free wi-fi there. Also my Virgin Mobile phone had trouble getting a signal in the room and balcony.

Parking is another problem. Not enough parking spots for hotel rooms. When I checked in I had to park across the street in the overflow parking, but later moved my car to the regular parking lot later on when some vehicles had left. Late afternoon it's full until people leave for dinner.

Breakfast selection is poor and only a few tables to accomodate people.

Overall I really liked the hotel and will stay there again on another getaway.

Room Tip: Try to get 4th floor and above for an unobstructed view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

I am so disappointed w this hotel and have no idea how people can rate this place as excellent. Mainly the room was filthy! We found huge roaches, showed front desk and all they would do is come spray. Carpet was worn down and black w years of dirt. I felt disgusted in the room, luckily was only in it to sleep. Didn't sleep well tho bc u can here everything thru walls. Teenagers partying etc.Plus the girl at front desk was so rude!!!! I have never seen anyone who hates her job more. Weather was perfect but this 'motel' was def the downfall of our trip. I wish I didn't book this place. Next time I will pay a lil more for a way better place. Take my advice this place is nasty. There are so many nicer places to stay in Pcb or better yet go to Destin!

• Stayed June 2013
Sylva, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

All staff was very pleasant and helpful. Staff kept things very clean. Good place to stay to be laid back and relaxed. I would definitely go back again. Great place for the price. Only things that could be done to make the place better is a little general maintenance in the rooms. Nothing major, just minor cosmetic things that need touched up and this could be an outstanding place. Could use a little more in the landscaping such as mulching around shrubbery, but again I did not see many places in the area that had much in the way of landscaping. A lot of places looked plain nasty, which was not the case at Beachcomber. Overall a very good place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

We were put up here through Wyndham vacations and overall pleased. It was clean but could use some updating inside and out. Furniture wasn't overly comfortable, but fit the bill. Location and beach are great. Pool was nice but somewhat small. It is an older place but they try and keep it nice.

• Stayed May 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights early May (paying only for 3 nights as per their deal) and was pleasantly surprised with the experience. All rooms overlook the beach and are equipped with a small kitchen, pots, pans etc...everything you need to cook in to save money. Sunsets from the balcony were lovely. Beds were very comfy and there was lots of room to spread out. Bathroom was also quite large. Would say it was mostly clean although we did throw a sheet over the couch. Breakfast was self serve muffins etc. Pool & jacuzzi were clean but busy in the afternoons...beach was marvelous! We stocked up on food at the Winn Dixie across the street and also bought beach chairs and an umbrella for less than one would pay for one rental chair on the beach. Staff were all friendly and helpful and leaving an hour later than check out time was "no problem". They even offer a free pick up from the airport for the asking! Overall I would say this is an excellent choice for the budget minded family and I would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: We were second to top floor almost at the end...very quiet there.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Alabama, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed here for two nights in early May with my parents and had a wonderful time! Our stay at the Beachcomber was so enjoyable that we came back 2 weeks later! The view from the rooms & balcony is unbeatable...if an oceanfront view is what you're looking for then the Beachcomber provides it! The overal decor of the hotel could use updating and its not a courtyard marriott or of that level of hotel, however, although the room was basic, it provided us with what we needed...it was clean had a TV, Shower/Tub, Kitchenette, dining room area with table and chairs for home made meals, as well as comfortable beds.There is a free and very basic breakfast offered downstairs but after having it the first morning we decided to make our own breakfast in the kitchenette in our room for the remainder of our stay. The dining area looked out onto the ocean making for a very enjoyable and 'vacation' feel to our morning breakfast. The pool outside was clean and the beach is only steps away from the pool! The balcony had a great view of the ocean and had 2 chairs and a small table for refreshments. Parking was not an issue, there were plenty of spaces. The staff were very friendly and let us check in early, although check out is at 10am (earlier than we had expected)! The hotel is located half a mile from pier park where all the shops and entertainment is. Pier Park is a nice 15-20 walk on the beach or a short 5 minute drive away. There is plenty of free parking at pier park behind the stores which was a bonus. Overall we loved our trip, the view from the balcony was the highlight and having the beach right out the window was exactly what we wanted. We will stay again in the future.

Room Tip: When booking ask to stay on the 3rd floor or higher and away from the palm trees, which block some o...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

This hotel was very nice and a bargain price. The hotel staff was extremely friendly and helpful including letting me check in very early. My room was large including a small kitchen area, separate living space and bedroom. All rooms had an excellent view of the ocean. The bed was quite comfortable. There is plenty of eateries and Pier Park is near for nightlife

I read some of the negative reviews and found them to be inaccurate for the most part.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Kristen C, Public Relations Manager at Beachcomber by the Sea, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
We're so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for helping to spread the word and we hope to see you again next time you're in the area!

Been to Beachcomber by the Sea? Share your experiences!