“Wonderful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palmetto Inn & Suites

We can't find prices for this hotel
Palmetto Inn & Suites
17255 Front Beach Rd, Panama City Beach, FL 32413   |
Lexington, Kentucky
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We had a great stay at the Palmetto Inn and Suites. We couldn't have asked for a better vacation. The staff want to make you as comfortable as possible. It is like being at home with a great ocean view. The pool is nice and not crowded. The beach is wonderful and was not crowded when we were there. The best part of all though was the amazing view from the room. Our room had a balcony over looking a the ocean. I will be going back, hopefully soon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

599 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Portrush, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Excellent hotel on beach. Staff friendly. No complimentary free breakfast but microwave in room so visit to local store or nearby diners needed! Shampoos not left in room but can be requested at reception. Missed not having wifi in room. Only in Reception. Overall would recommend.

• Stayed June 2013
New England USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

My wife and I had a getaway week to Panama City Beach, and had a great time staying at the Palmetto Inn and Suites. I picked this place from trip advisor as I read carefully why this was ranked #1. To my surprise, it earned it! My wife said she would come back, so that was very important to this review. Be careful of first impressions, because when I arrived, I could not understand why they all gave 5’s. I travel a lot, and my views of 5’s is much different than others. You have to go “all out” to get one from me. And my first impressions weren’t good. Over time, I changed my mind. So I am writing to explain why.

This is a place for FAMILIES, not for Spring Break guests. The hotel is located away from the action found by the pier area where there are high rise hotels and condos, tons of action, bars, restaurants and fun places. If you are a graduate of an SEC (South Eastern Conference) college, your classmates or rivals from GA, FL, MS, Ark, AL, SC, TN and KY are all here with their logo’d clothing, families and grandchildren, accompanied by their really, really NICE southern Hospitality. I was as amazed they all drove to the hotel, as they were surprised I flew to get there. People traveled from Indiana by car to stay! We are from New England, and we were treated like family while the rivals, friends and families were grilling ribs, chicken, and all sorts of dinners. Owners Rick, Patty, their daughters and staff were just as nice and friendly. The family treated everyone so well that guests we met had returned every year for over 30 years to stay just there! There were at least 5 family reunions with over 10 in each family group while we were there.

Here are the things we both liked about the Palmetto: free daily newspaper, free coffee, pay to eat frozen foods such as soft ice creams and smoothies as well a quick eats for microwave servings, gas fired barbeque grills to cook your own dinner or lunch without hitting a restaurant, tiki bar next to the grills for beach side beverages, $3 beers, $2 ice bags equal to what we paid at walmart, 2 pools (one beachside with infant pool and large hot tub and across the street was the indoor pool). We were impressed with little things like air hose to fill those air mattresses and water tubes, beach showers to wash off from the ocean and beach, free wired internet with cable speed from Xfinity, and wifi in main area. The rooms are comfortable, with a balcony for each room facing the ocean (street views for rooms across the street), stove/fridge, Flat TV, Cable tv with lots of channels, and my favorite was a ton of power receptacles for all of my toys and tools! The have deluxe rooms, which are in the middle section, with a larger living room and separate bedroom. We had the standard king with amazing views. On two mornings, we watched dolphins swimming (or eating) just in front of our balcony. This place is cool.

We ate out almost every day, so here are the restaurants to look over before you come.

We found out that there was a basic breakfast buffet for $8 at All American Diner, and Thomas Donuts always had a line for 15-30 minutes to get the best donuts in the area. The locals liked Mike’s diner, but I found First Watch was the best breakfast and Omelette with home fries of all places we ate. Another Broken Egg, was as pricey as First Watch but not as good. The local McD’s was a 3 minute drive from the hotel and was reasonably priced and very very busy as well.

Lunches or dinner took time to find the best for us. We started our first meal at bone fish and it was very good but pricey. Across the street was Boar’s Head and their menu was very good, high quality food and the price to match it. All the locals love this place. Another place for fresh oysters and cold beer is Dusty’s. It is worth having ONE meal there to experience Dusty’s. We ended up eating at Salty Sue’s, and the Sandbar. Sue’s BBQ, Ribs, Wings were reasonably priced and good food! One thing we did was order Buffalo wings during Happy Hour and save half price! We would do take out on 20 wings, large cole slaw and other side for under $15. Sandbar is a sports bar that looks like a dive, until you order their seafood that is reasonably priced. My favorite was their pound of large shrimp for $12.

Since the hotel is cook your own, we found the Walmart and Publix were not always the cheapest. We found the wine and soda specials at the CVS across the street to be cheaper! The CVS is just across the street and was reasonably priced for everything. We did find the Winn Dixie next to the CVS to have higher prices on quality food, but real convenient. The repeat guests in the hotel said the Carousel Store was the best place for fresh food and grill spices you can’t find anywhere. We agreed. We also found the cheapest gas was 3 miles out on RT79 near the airport, by at least 10 cents a gallon. There are tons of sport vehicle rentals just across the street for those who want a fun ride every once in awhile.

If you stay there for a long period of time, you will need to buy paper towels, bottles of water and beverages and strong sunscreen. Since we were on the 5th floor, we had no bugs. Parking is limited on the beach side of the road, so we found ourselves parking by the indoor pool. One other thing was beach chairs are rentable at $25/day first day, $20/day after.. they were all taken by 11a, so we just stayed by the pool area for free, and walked to the ocean from there.

There is no spa, no fancy marble or bathrooms, so if that is what you are looking for, this would be a “3.” I gave it a rare “5” because the hotel earned it by their guests and staff and their location.

Room Tip: The higher the room, the less bugs, better views
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jackson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Saw all the reviews and wondered.... I stayed across the street from the beach and these units are not quite as nice as the beach units. But, we came and did not have reservations and needed 3 rooms. The ladies at the front desk were very friendly and tried their best to help us. Got us in across the street at $100.00 per night plus tax. Not bad for Panama City Beach. The room was nice. Not a Hilton and the bathroom was small but it served the purpose very well. All the staff were very friendly and helpful in any way they could.

Stayed June 2013
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We did not have reservations when we arrived to PCB. After searching for several hours we found this hotel was the only beach front room that wasn't booked for our dates of stay. We paid more than planned, $165 =tax per night for 2 adults in a standard room with double beds. It was a oceanfront pool side ground floor room. Staff was friendly, the room was nice. They have great pavilions with grills so that you can cook pool side in the afternoons, if you wish. We personally went to shrimp city and had them flash steam peel and eat for us to have pool side. The room was nice, but parking is limited at the ocean front building. There is parking across the street and more 2 lots down. There is also an indoor pool across the street with another building with cheaper rooms thats aren't oceanfront. Our only complaint about this stay was A. Over priced and B. when we checked out, we were told that we had a balance due. We had already paid in full for our room but the desk clerk informed us that she forgot to collect enough at check out. Out card was ran for additional $20-something at checkout. That was a bit of a disappointing farewell, and my husband wasn't happy, but things like this happen. Overall I would recommend this place as it was very quite in the evening and I didn't see any teen running a muck. Mainly families and groups. Also, an easy access to the beach and pool for those who can't walk far/ have health problems. I will note that I did not see wheel chair access, though, without a beach wheelchair, I assume it would be pointless. The beds were pretty standard of what you would find in a hotel, just ok. I will give them kudos on great air conditioners. I stay hot, and the unit froze me out! It was great! The room did have nice sheets but had the dreaded scratchy middle blanket and the boxy hotel comforter (newer/ not as bad as you think). The bathroom was nice. Good towels, nice water pressure. Overall, a good stay.

Room Tip: we took the room on the ground floor, oceanfront/poolside, beside the office. Great view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

We were looking for a new place to stay in PCB and thanks to Tripadvisor, we picked the Palmetto. It was perfect for what we needed. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The rooms were spacious and clean. The hotel is away from all of the party action, which is a plus, but within walking distance to several restaurants,a grocery store, and cvs. It was quiet and relaxing and all that we could have hoped for. We will definitely be back!!!!!!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Rowlett, Texas, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This is our fourth stay at this wonderful place. We already know we will be back next year. Friendly, helpful staff. We arrived at 12:30 expecting to have to wait for a higher floor roon. They had a top floor room ready with our name on it. Great views sunrise to sunset and beyond. Crystal clear water. Great place for couples or families. Price is perfect for the room with a full kitchen. Perfect temperature in the pool. Cannot come up with anything bad about this place. Had awesome steaks grilled on the gas grill. A hidden gem that's not in the middle of all of the hubbub down the road, but close enough to go explore. We even love the talking elevator.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Palmetto Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!