“Family Spring Break 2012” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Palm Grove

Save Saved
You added Palm Grove to your Saves list
Palm Grove
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   14513 Front Beach Road, Panama City Beach, FL 32413 (Formerly Peek's Motel)   |
Ranked #44 of 53 hotels in Panama City Beach
London, United Kingdom
“Family Spring Break 2012”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

You have to know what you are getting into. My standards for my family are the room must not have roaches or bed bugs. It has to be secure. I have to say that it is common sense that you get what you pay for. Peeks Motel is an inexpensive place to stay that is definitely older than most other motels/hotels on Front Beach. It is cheap yet bug free. My family arrived on Sunday night with reservations for the week. It was late when we got there and my 13 yr old daughter was tired and scared and did not want to stay at Peeks. (motel phobia) My 11, 14, and 15 yo's had already run out onto the beach in the dark to see the ocean and could care less that it was a motel and not a hotel. It was 11pm and a local fisherman had caught a baby shark that night and they were excited to see it and start spring break. We went to look at the room. It was 2 rooms, 3 beds, and a kitchen for $119 a night. Old facilities but clean. The night clerk was nice and there was visible security on-site. (I found out later that they have a local bonded security company do the work.) It was dark and we were all tired. I made the choice to get a different room for just that night to give my daughter peace of mind. I was lucky that they had not run my card yet so they did not charge me for the last minute cancellation. After getting rest and being 5 miles from the beach everyone agreed to go back to Peeks the next day. We chose beach access rather than have a newer room.When we came back we got a smaller room. One room, kitchen, two beds, and we used an inflatable twin mattress.($89 per night) Our room was literally four steps from the pool. My son (11) who fears the beach loved it. I loved that I could stay in AC and still watch him. The wall ac unit worked well. There was a newer microwave, an old stove, and full sized fridge. The pool was clean and quiet for the most part. The older spring breakers had no interest in the pool. They stayed on the beach or the balconys outside of their rooms. It was noisy at night with drunk kids but after midnight security stayed on top of keeping everyone civil. It was PCB during spring break it's going to be a bit wild. If you have OCD you should not stay here. There are many issues you could point out. The fridge wasn't spotlessly clean, the toilet stopped up easily, the tv was fuzzy on certain channels. The positive: Every staff member that I dealt with was nothing but friendly and accommodating, fresh towels every morning, clean pool, quick clean access to the beach.

Room Tip: We were in room 7101. No carpet only tile on the floor but when you see the access to the pool it ma...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

63 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Upon arriving at Peeks my group was a little scared about what we had gotten into but once we went in to meet the staff and seeing the Penthouse that we ended up staying in i couldnt have been happier with our vacation. when we originally got our room keys they had mixed us up with another reservation which i thought could be a problem due to the fact that it was on spring break weeks. but upon talking to the manager, Shawn, he quickly relocated us into their penthouse for the week and apologized for everything. the maids were extremely friendly and very understanding. plus its a small place with no elevators and everyone has their own door, not to mention its rite on the beach, i would definitely recommend this place to anyone on a cheap budget, looking for a fun place to stay. Also, the funland arcade, right across the road has amazingly cheap, good food. we have been back for two weeks now and me and my friends are still talking about the food.

Room Tip: Their one and only Penthouse on the 3rd floor is the only way to go.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Alexander City, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

I first went in the PEEKS office in mid july 2011 While we were on a 4 night stay up the road in the majestic in.Which I'll just say was very un satifactery!! & cost us a chunk of change! we was having shirts made & I walked over to Peeks & checked it out.I fell in love with it's charm & location!! So in August we went back to pc for a seven night stay @ peeks.Room was ready & we got to check in early.I found just this>>>A hotel that was built in 1953, clean room clean pool,a kitcnen that you could prepair moest any meal in.Picnic tabels & BBQ grills & the clerk told me that if I needed a tabel or grill & did'nt have 1 that 1 of the staff would help me get 1.& when you look @ their site Pict's, The funland arcade across the street has a full menue resteraunt,soft serve or hand diped ice cream & you can get a 16oz glass of draft beer for a $. So to sum it up if yo're a picky type person that dont care what kind of $ you spend You mite want to look futher. But if you want a good cheap place to stay & dont mind a few imperfections such a paint chip or 2,a mis match light here & there or going to get your own towels. You are gonna love this place!!! Rember this is a multi,Generation American family owen Motel.I met the owner during my stay. Very nice fellow!! & he is keeping his price's very afordable.I myself want to help him keep this land mark going!!!

Room Tip: If you look @ their site photos, there are 2 rooms that the sliding doors in the back open up to the...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
LaPlace, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

Peek's Motel is not for someone wanting a nice, clean, relaxing vacation. When we arrived at Peeks, we were very dissatisfied. The front door was actually an internal door that they used as an exterior door. The blinds in the front room were broken where people can see in and there were no curtains. The floors looked vacuumed but would make your feet/socks black! There were cracks in some of the walls and they were dirty. Cracks and patches on the doors. The beds were old and uncomfortable with stains on the sheets and pillows.

The bathroom showers were dirty and moldy. The shower head was broken at the wall, where there was a hole. The toilet was not bolted to the floor so it would rock whenever it was being used and the toilet paper holder was broken. The bathroom doors did not lock.

The second bedroom was dripping water from the middle of the ceiling and was very dark.

In the living room/kitchenette area the sofa was disgusting! It was a plastic material which was stained and had a huge rip on the inside of the arm and the outside as well. The bar was falling off the wall and there was mismatch/broken bar stools and chairs. There were broken and non-working light fixtures throughout the kitchen and rooms. The light fixture in the kitchen had water sitting in it. Aluminum foil was throughout the kitchen, fridge, in cabinets, under sink, in oven, etc. We were told they had pots but only had one small pot and one small pan. The dining table was made of a sawed-off counter top. When the sofa bed was pulled out, we had to move the “dining table” to the side of the bed so that we could still get to the bathroom.

The entire unit was very dark; most of the lighting was broken or very dim. The ceilings throughout the unit were unfinished and patched. Internal doors were used for the two exterior doors and there were no dead bolts on either door. One of the external doors was bowed like someone tried to kick it in and it did not shut all the way. We felt very unsafe and uncomfortable the entire vacation. The two window units worked but were very noisy and leaked water. There was no working phone in the unit or Wi-Fi connection.

There were not enough parking spaces; we had to park across the street several times. There were several broken down cars in the parking lot. People were yelling and blowing horns all hours of the night. This is no motel for a family with small children. There were bright, outside lights right in front of the motel that would shine into the room all night. The pool was over crowded and they threw chemicals in while people were swimming in it. The beach was nice other than the trash left on it that was not cleaned up.

I would not recommend this motel. I only took the time to write this review and upload pictures to give Vacationers a fair insight of what they would be getting for their money and free time. The only good part of the vacation was being able to play on the beach with my nephew.

UP NORTH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

We stayed in August and paid for 3 days get 1 free. 4 days of fun and the room was great. Nothing fancy but served our needs well. No bugs inside, very clean. We got the lower level with sliding glass doors opening to parking lot just yards from the beach. Full size fridge, small stove/oven, microwave and decent shower with great water pressure. We didnt use the pool much but it was ok. The staff are very friendly and helpful. I love Peeks motel because when I was a teen we stayed in motels just like this one. The water did get a little sea weed a couple days but that is mother nature. Drive over to the public access in Destin to see the best beach & best water. Beautiful. I would love to go back in time to the 70's when they had the Miracle Strip amusement park. My brothers and I had so much fun. Peeks was built in 1952 I think. It is in good shape for this age. We stayed one night at the Flamingo and it was fine also.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Douglasville, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

My husband & I stayed here from July 17 thru 22 2011. This place is great for handicapped people. We stay in room #28. Yes you can have someone to come in & clean your room, but why? Everything worked in our room. Very quite place & WALKING distance to the beach! If you want to stay in a HI-RISE motel & have to walk a mile & carry a lunch with you to go to the beach, then this is not the place to stay. I read that a few places wouldn't even let you walk through the motel with your swim suit on.....WHY??? It's Panama City BEACH for GOD sakes. So if you want to pay HI-RISE Prices then take my word, you don't want to stay here. GREAT MOM & POP place!!!

sweethrt629
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

I was disappointed at our stay at this hotel. The laundry room is open from 8am-2pm for clean towels, rags, trash bags, and toilet paper. If you need something after 2pm FORGET IT. If you ask for an extra towel or 2 they are stingey. You get the same amount of towels/rags that you turn in. We had a pumber come the 1st day to snake the shower because it was draining slow & later on the toilet was stopping up...we called the front desk and they told me they have plunger if I want to come get it!!!! I've stayed at plenty of hotels to know that the paying guest should not be the one to unstop a clogged toilet. We were also offered to use the vaccum when we asked for room service to vaccum while we were out. It was not a very comfortable place to stay on a vacation. The room was hot, no air in the bathrooms, and we had to lean our cooler against the fridge to keep it all the way shut so our drinks/food would be cold. It wasn't as bad as camping somewhere outside but I was not comfortable staying there and will not recommend it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Palm Grove? Share your experiences!