“So So Resort” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Shores of Panama Resort

Save Saved
You added Shores of Panama Resort to your Saves list
Shores of Panama Resort
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   9900 S. Thomas Drive, Panama City Beach, FL 32407   |
alabama
“So So Resort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Stayed at the resort Friday, August 22 through Sunday, August 24. We arrived early. Check in was suppose to be at 4. When we got there, we signed all the papers to check in but was not given a room until 5pm. We had 5 adults in the room (30's girls work trip). 3 of us came together and the other 2 was on the way. We could not get their armbands nor parking pass until they got there. We did not receive enough washcloths and were told that we need to wash them. They only give enough for the people in the room. I said we have 5. There is only 4. When making the reservations I told how many was in the room.
The room was ok. Our room number was 414. It was located os you had a great view of the pool and amazing view of the ocean. The master bedroom had NO door to separate the bathroom from the bedroom. So you had to put the others out to have privacy when using the facilities. Maintenance responded quick when we realize the remote button was missing and we could not turn the TV off and on. There is no cell service in the room. We had to use the free wifi (FaceTime and Facebook) to call home and check on husbands and kids.
The parking deck is a nightmare. The spaces are extremely tiny. We were told to park where there was not a reserve sign. Which is about 4-5 places on each level. The resort has 23 levels. When you do finally find a park you have to go to the ground floor and give your drivers license and they will give you a luggage cart in return. I can't imagine being there at peak season we would be in trouble.
The people at the resort was very nice and so was the guest. We did not run into any negative people. The pool gate doors are extremely heavy. Makes it hard when caring a ton of stuff to and from the beach. The pool is awesome and and had a nice DJ out. The resort is in the middle of everything. Should you need something Walmart is right across the street.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

204 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed in 203 July, 2014 very nice condo, beach front, no complaints at all about the room, Do not rent thru the condo office, you will be disspointed as we were last year. the room was dirty and poorly furnish, Rent thru VRBO or from the owner and you will have a happy vacation as we did, the pool fee was small for the use of the fine pool, the kids had a wonderful time in it, we will go back next year The elevators was slow but we did not wait no longer than 10 minutes ,we could have walk down but my wife has feet problems so we use it. As i said rent from a owner and you will not have any problems

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Benton IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We arrived at the Shores on a Saturday and stayed for 6 nights. We had a wonderful time. Our condo was booked through a private company, it was clean, roomy, and we had no issues. I was a little concerned about staying here after ready all of the reviews. I would love to stay at the Shores again.

Arlington, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Me and my family went on the last summer vacation and wanted to try something different for once. We always rent beach house for the size of our family and the family reunions we have. This time it was just 7 of us so we decided to get a condo here at the SOP. The outside of the resort was nice and clean very tall, we got there and check in. Now when we were looking for parking we had to park all the way on the 11th floor which we could park any were that does not say reserved which was till all the way on the 7th floor. Horrible garage, to small and too busy. You get dizzy at the end. Once we got there we need it a Cart for our luggage and we need it to leave the ID for the usage of it, which was weird. Then to get up on the 12th floor of course you take the elevator, which it took over 30 minutes just to get an elevator to our floor and yes 30 minutes. I guess we landed on a busy weekend. Other than that the rooms were clean, the views are amazing! The pool has a dj on the weekend which i think is cool as well. Love the shower heads outside in the middle of the beach and the pool. No other problem really other than horrible garage and elevators. Also you can walk to Wal-mart, resaturants and clubs and atractions.

Room Tip: I would try to stay on the lowers floor, because you still have great views and do not have to deal...
Berea, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My husband and I booked and paid for our stay before reading reviews on TripAdvisor. As I read the reviews, I became more and more nervous about what we were in for. My husband eventually told me to just stop reading the reviews, and I did. We arrived on Thursday afternoon (Aug 7) and did the "offsite check-in" (Book That Condo) and, actually, were able to check in a few hours early. We then tackled the parking garage to find our reserved parking spot. It was in a perfect place on the 6th floor and just a few steps from the elevator! We went to the first floor to buy our wristbands for the pool, and the young lady working that area was really sweet and friendly. We then went to the 21st floor to find our condo. We were very pleased. The condo was clean, decorated nicely, fully stocked, etc. We expected long elevator waits but were pleasantly surprised there as well. The only times that we had a little bit of a wait was on Saturday. Longest wait was probably 10 minutes. Out of a 6 day stay, we left 5 of those nights to dine and shop and had no problem getting in and out of the parking garage. Again, pleasantly surprised. The pool was beautiful and the DJ was great. Great atmosphere. Saw a few people drinking alcohol but they did not cause any problems. Access to the beach was monitored by checking wristbands, and I actually witnessed some young people being turned away that were trying to enter the pool area from the beach (no wristband). The employees that we encountered were very nice and helpful. Pool area was cleaned daily. People did save chairs with towels, but, most days, there were plenty of chairs. My husband and I sat out on the deck nightly and experienced peace and quiet (very different from the reviews I had read). This was probably the best condo we have stayed in, and we do plan to come back to Shores of Panama on our next trip to the area. We were very thankful to see that the bad reviews were not true after all (at least, in our case). Very pleasantly surprised!

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My family and I left Shores of Panama yesterday after a three night stay. Reading all of the reviews before we went really stressed me out. I was really upset that I had booked here. I kept thinking about how it was going to be the worst trip ever and gave my husband huge warnings over and over before getting there that it might be terrible. Ended up not being the case. Actually turned out to be the best family vacation we've ever had. We want to go back for Labor Day Weekend, but the unit we stayed in is already booked. We stayed at Emerald Beach last year and hated it. Shores was waaaaaay better. The property was really nice. Landscaping was great, staff was nice, security didn't hassle us. Lots of reports of it being dirty, but I didn't see that. I saw crews of people cleaning the beach and pool deck every morning. Our unit was privately owned and managed by Book That Condo, and it was lovely. Towels were as nice as our egyptian ones at home. It was clean, and in fact, the carpet had been steam cleaned the morning we arrived. There were paper towels, extra toilet paper, trash bags, and dishwashing soap. I brought all that with us, but we didn't use it. We did use the laundry det. and dish soap that I brought. I've stayed in enough condos to know to bring what I use at home, just in case. The bunk area was great. My two little ones slept on the bottom bunk, and my teen was on the top. It was away from the main living area, so he probably enjoyed having his own space. Lots of reports of huge elevator waits. Longest I waited was around 30 seconds. My husband did wait a few minutes when going either up or down from the pool to the sixth floor at around 2 pm one day. I just don't think that is unreasonable if it's up on the 22nd floor and has to come all the way to level 1 with stops and the other already going all the way up. Lots of reports of drunks. I saw one group of college kids drinking in the pool. I stayed away from them. Lots of reports of the parking garage being a nightmare. We had a reserved parking space on the sixth floor, about 15 second walk from our room also on the sixth floor. The most traffic I saw in the parking deck was three cars coming as we were going yesterday at 10 am when we checked out. Even with our big Toyota Sienna mini van it was fine to pass cars. Yeah we slowed down and all, but after living in Chicago I guess you just know that not all parking decks are like the ones you see at a suburban mall. The beach was great. It was a little seaweedy in the water, but very nice. Not many people had wristbands on the beach. I've read complaints of people setting up their chairs in front of the blue chairs and of people coming to the beach from other buildings. I am pretty sure Shores any business cannot own the actual water, so yeah, didn't bother me. I am not going to pay to use their chairs way back from the water when I have kids to watch near the water and my own stuff that I can bring. The wrist band deal was also fine. Book That Condo let us check in early because our unit happened to be empty the night before we arrived. I went down right at noon when we got there for the bands. No wait, super easy. It's just a little tiki hut with an attendant right in the pool area outside the lobby. She was nice, as was the front desk person who told me where to go. It was nice sitting on the patio in the morning and having coffee. I did see people going down super early to reserve their chairs. It looked like there were more chairs and they have cushions which is nice (posting a pic). At 10 and 11 though there were still empty chairs. And then again around 3 and after there are chairs again because people are heading out. So by the time we were done at the beach, there were chairs. We did come up from the beach around 2 one day. Grabbed two chairs and had fun watching lots of kids dance while the DJ played music. It was just a really nice atmosphere. Music at the pool into the evening and nice played quieter, but something to enjoy from our balcony. I think maybe had it been a weekend or two before, it would have been major crowded and maybe the elevators would have been a wait. I picked the sixth floor to take the stairs in case, but we never used them. I also think it being more crowded might have congested the parking garage. Everything was just perfect for us. So I wanted to set that straight after all the stress the reviews caused me. I don't know if all of these posts are from real people who actually stayed here after having such a really great time.

Room Tip: A room with private owner on a lower level and close to parking garage with a reserved parking space...
Valdosta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The PRO's: gorgeous lagoon pool. Right on the beach. Great views from balcony. Spacious living room in one bedroom unit with well equipped kitchen. The bunks in hallway niche were really cute. DJ by pool is great, but very loud so don't reserve lounges too close. A few poolside activities for kids. Good location if you have young kids that want to do touristy things, but closer to Pier Park is really where you want to be. It's a dining, entertainment, shopping, rides, Dave & Buster, etc kind of place.
The CONS: parking garage and elevator NIGHTMARE. The parking garage is 12 stories and most spaces are reserved. It can literally take 20-30 minutes to get in and out. We went towards the end of summer so I can't imagine what it's like when the place is full. Spaces tight and driveways very narrow. So many rooms and so few elevators. Prepare to wait 5 to 10 minutes for an elevator if the hotel is even half full. While living room is huge, the master bedroom is not. The master bath is tiny. The hallway bath somewhat larger. Our unit had absolutely no decor- 1627. Not one picture. Nothing. Sheets and bedding were low quality and itchy.

For young families or couples, I highly recommend going to Destin. Much nicer. The 30A area is also breathtaking and upscale, but pricey. Had we not gotten a steal of a deal on the Shores of Panama, I would have been even more disappointed. As we talked to other guests, they were incredibly disappointed as they paid more.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Shores of Panama Resort? Share your experiences!